Libya: Deadly landmines pose hidden threat in Tripoli

Hundreds of deadly landmines and unexploded ordnance still litter parts of Libya after years of fighting, posing a constant danger to civilians, especially children, long after the conflict. Although relative calm has returned to the oil-rich country since the battle Read More …

Libyan Mine Action Center to develop country-wide strategy with UNSMIL support

The Libyan Mine Action Center announced plans 9 May to develop a country-wide mine action strategy in collaboration with the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining and the United Nations Support Mission in Libya’s Mine Action Section. According to Fatma Read More …

Libya: 2023 UN report documents 17 lives, mainly children, lost to explosive hazards

A group of 17 individuals, including 14 children, lost their lives due to incidents involving explosive devices in Libya last year, according to a UN Mine Action Service report. The report, released on Sunday, documented 193 incidents resulting from explosive Read More …

Libya: Interior Ministry conducts training course in crime scene management

The Interior Ministry says it has concluded a training course in crime scene management at explosion accident sites and first aid. The Ministry said the course aims to prepare Libyan professional trainers in the field of crime scene management. Read Read More …

Libya’s Storm Daniel could see unexploded WWII bombs emerge from Derna waters

Aid workers warned on Wednesday that Libya’s brutal and violent floods may unearth unexploded bombs and landmines from past conflicts in the wake of Storm Daniel and the collapse of two dams near the city of Derna. The International Committee Read More …

UNSC: Terrorist Groups Remain Significant Threat in Conflict Zones, Neighbouring States

Despite the threat level remaining low in non-conflict areas, Da’esh and its affiliates continue to constitute a serious threat in conflict zones and neighbouring countries, a senior United Nations official told the Security Council today, underscoring that the use of Read More …

Over 27,000 explosives removed from Libyan cities in 2022

According to the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), 27,400 explosive war remnants were removed from the Libyan cities of Tripoli, Misrata, Benghazi and Sirte in 2022. More than 1 million war remnants, which include 82 percent of projectiles Read More …

Manchester Arena attack: Security services might have prevented Manchester Arena bombing

The security services were guilty of “a significant missed opportunity to take action that might have prevented” the Manchester Arena bombing, according to the chairman of the inquiry into the atrocity. A report published by former high court judge Sir Read More …

Libyan accused in Lockerbie bombing now in American custody

A Libyan intelligence official accused of making the bomb that brought down Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988 in an international act of terrorism has been taken into U.S. custody and will face federal charges in Washington, Read More …

Terror groups are recruiting engineer-terrorists

US National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence opines that terrorists will conduct AI-powered cyberattacks and pair AI software with commercially available drones to create ‘smart weapons’. The recent issue of “Voice of Khorasan”, the Islamic State’s mouthpiece in Afghanistan and Read More …

UK: Arrest warrant issued for Manchester Arena bomber’s brother Ismail Abedi

A judge has issued a warrant for the arrest of the older brother of the Manchester Arena bomber after he refused to give evidence to the inquiry into the bombing and fled the country. The district judge said he was Read More …

Kansas woman admits to training all-female IS battalion in Syria

A US woman has confessed to leading an all-female squadron for the so-called Islamic State group in Syria, as well as plotting attacks on American soil. Allison Fluke-Ekren pleaded guilty to one count of providing support to the group and Read More …

Libya: Landmines, Other War Hazards, Killing Civilians

At least 130 people, mostly civilians, have been killed by landmines and abandoned or unexploded ordnance in Libya since the armed group called the Libyan Arab Armed Forces (LAAF) withdrew from Tripoli’s southern suburbs in June 2020, Human Rights Watch Read More …

Civil Society Perspectives: ISIL in Africa – Key Trends and Developments

The present report synthesizes the views of more than 50 representatives of African civil society organizations (CSOs), located in 15 Member States, who contributed to two virtual roundtables convened by CTED in October and November 2021. The roundtables aimed to Read More …

ISIL 2.0: How the group became a franchise

The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, or ISIS) has changed form several times over the years. With its origins in the aftermath of the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, ISIL was forged from an alliance between Read More …

Explosive weapons: Civilians in populated areas must be protected

As the world urbanizes, so too do conflicts. It is estimated that some 50 million people now suffer the horrific consequences of urban warfare – a trend that is likely to continue as more and more people concentrate in towns Read More …

The Extraordinary Life of the Most Notorious Terrorist Before Bin Laden

If you asked someone to name the world’s most famous terrorist, chances are they would say Osama Bin Laden, the radical Islamist and mastermind of the 9/11 attacks. But 50 years ago, before anyone even associated fundamentalist Islam with terrorism, Read More …

Pakistan Navy EOD participates in 8th multinational exercise NUSRET 2021 at Turkey

Pakistan Navy participated in 8th multinational special operations exercise ‘NUSRET 2021’ at Canakkale, Turkey. PN Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team participated alongwith teams of other countries under the auspices of Turkish authorities. Teams from Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bulgaria, Germany, Iraq, Read More …

Libya: IS suicide bomber attacks security checkpoint in Fezzan region

An Islamic State (IS) suicide bomber attacked on Sunday a security checkpoint belonging to the eastern-based army in the southeastern Libyan town Zalla, without causing any casualties. “An IS suicide bomber attacked the Zalla checkpoint with a car bomb, causing Read More …