Ireland: Army carry out controlled explosion of suspicious device discovered in Co Kildare

The Grand Canal in Sallins, Co Kildare has re-opened again following the discovery of a suspicious device yesterday. Gardaí were alerted to the discovery of the device by the Grand Canal in Sallins, Co Kildare at approximately 3.30pm yesterday, Wednesday Read More …

Ireland: Man arrested for carrying ‘improvised explosive device’ in Finglas

A Dublin man arrested for carrying an “improvised explosive device” close to his home believed there was a “viable” threat to his safety, a court has heard. Sammy Hutch (48) of Cardiffsbridge Avenue, Finglas, was remanded in custody on Thursday. Read More …

Ireland: Gardaí discover four explosive devices in west Dublin

Gardaí discovered four viable explosive devices during the search of a van in southwest Dublin on Sunday. A man in his 40s was arrested following the search in Ronanstown, Dublin 22. He remains in Garda custody in Dublin, detained under Read More …

Ireland: Seven arrested after suspected pipe bomb seized in Limerick

Gardaí in Limerick have seized a suspected pipe bomb, drugs, cash and watches, and arrested seven people during an ongoing search operation yesterday. The operation aimed at targeting the sale and supply of illegal drugs and related criminal activity in Read More …

Irish de-mining equipment has arrived in Ukraine

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said that Irish de-mining equipment has arrived in Ukraine in the past few weeks and Ireland was helping Ukraine to use it. A Government spokesperson said that two mine-clearing vehicles, known as mine flail units, had Read More …

Ireland: Investigators believe improvised explosive device caused blast at Dublin homeless hostel

Investigators believe the blast that killed a man at a homeless shelter in Dublin city centre yesterday was caused by an improvised explosive device. Gardaí are expected to open a full criminal investigation today as further forensic tests of the Read More …

Irish police investigate fire at disused pub set to house homeless families

Irish police have been investigating a second fire in less than a fortnight at a building local people reportedly believed would be used to accommodate asylum seekers. The emergency services were called to the scene at the Ringsend area of Read More …

Europol: Crackdown on material designed to ‘educate’ future terrorists

On 18 December, Europol’s EU Internet Referral Unit coordinated a Referral Action Day (RAD) on terrorist online content. The operational action also involved special units from Czechia, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Finland, Slovakia, Spain and the United Kingdom, and different units Read More …

Ireland: 34 people arrested after riotous mob causes huge destruction

A clean-up is under way in Dublin city centre this morning following violent clashes between large groups of people and gardaí in Dublin last night. Garda Commissioner Drew Harris said 34 people had been arrested and “many more arrests will Read More …

Ireland: Residents evacuated as historical device removed from Dublin suburb

A discovery led to a number of premises being evacuated yesterday afternoon. Gardaí put a cordon in place after they were alerted to a suspicious device found in Clontarf, a coastal suburb around 5 km from the city centre. Members of Read More …

Ireland: Explosive discovered in field in operation targeting Limerick organised crime

Gardaí arrested five men and seized drugs worth over €70,000 in an operation targeting organised crime in Co Limerick on Tuesday. A number of searches were conducted by gardaí attached to Limerick crime functional area at locations in Limerick, Cork Read More …

Ireland: Bomb squad carries out controlled explosion in south Dublin

Dublin residents in the Sandymount / Ringsend area were shocked this evening as army bomb disposal experts and gardaí rushed to the scene of a discovery which required a controlled explosion. A statement from an Garda Síochána this evening said: Read More …

Ireland: Investigation underway following the discovery of a pipe bomb in Clogherhead

Gardaí are investigating the discovery of a pipe bomb in County Louth. It was found at the front door of a house in the Callystown area of Clogherhead around lunchtime yesterday. A Defence Forces spokesperson has confirmed to LMFM News Read More …

Northern Ireland: Omagh bomb questions can ‘only be fully answered with tandem public inquiries’

All questions around the Omagh bomb atrocity can only be answered by holding a public inquiry on both sides of the Irish border, a lawyer representing some bereaved families has said. John McBurney urged the Irish Government to “reconsider” its Read More …

Ireland: Widespread condemnation of arson attack on former Cork school

The Tánaiste has led condemnation of a petrol bomb attack on a former school building which is being retrofitted to house Ukrainian families. Micheál Martin said those responsible for the incident should face the full rigours of the law. He Read More …

Ireland: Government approves training engagement with EU Military Assistance Mission in Ukraine (EUMAM)

The Tánaiste and Minister for Defence, Micheál Martin, this week received Government approval for the Defence Forces’ proposed training engagement with the EU Military Assistance Mission in Ukraine (EUMAM). It follows Cabinet approval in February of the participation of up Read More …

Ireland: Investigations continue as army bomb team declares fatal explosion site safe

The site of yesterday’s explosion in West Europe has been declared safe by the Army Bomb Disposal team that attended the scene last evening. Gardaí say continue to investigate all the circumstances surrounding the explosion in Brinlack, near Bunbeg, in Read More …

Ireland: Armed gardai to be deployed amid violence fears over €1.7 million drug debt

Armed gardai are to be deployed amid fears of a major escalation in violence linked to a bitter feud centred on a €1.7 million drug debt. Officers in Tallaght, South Co Dublin, are on high alert following a spate of Read More …

Ireland training Ukrainian troops in Cyprus in bomb disposal, demining

Irish troops have started training Ukrainian forces in bomb disposal and demining techniques in Cyprus, Ireland’s Defence chief-of-staff said on Tuesday. According to the Irish Times, Ireland has pledged the deployment of up to 30 skilled personnel, specialising in areas Read More …

Ireland: Police appeal for information on bombings that killed three people 50 years ago

Police in Ireland have issued an appeal for information about a 1972 triple-bombing which killed two teenagers and left two men seriously injured. Two children, Patrick Stanley, 16 and Geraldine O’Reilly, 15, were killed and eight other people injured when Read More …