Ebola outbreak in Central Africa declared a ‘Public Health Emergency of International Concern’


The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, citing rising cases, cross-border spread and significant uncertainties about the scale of the epidemic.

The decision, announced by WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus on Sunday, follows reports of both confirmed and suspected infections linked to the Bundibugyo strain of the virus.

While the situation is serious, it does not currently meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency under the WHO’s International Health Regulations.

Read more…
Source: UN News


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Uganda: UPDF, French troops complete joint mountain operation exercise

    December 17, 2020

    Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) and French soldiers have completed a seven-day joint mountain operation exercise. The exercise that was conducted on Rwenzori mountain saw soldiers climb to its peak, Margherita. The activities conducted during the exercise included; first aid, counter Improvised Explosive Devices (IED), logistics platoon, combat platoon as well as real rescue in mountainous environment. While ...

  • Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. target al-Shabaab explosives makers

    December 10, 2020

    In coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command conducted two (2) airstrikes targeting al-Shabaab explosives experts in the vicinity of Jilib, Somalia, Dec. 10. “We will continue to apply pressure to the al-Shabaab network. They continue to undermine Somali security, and need to be contained and degraded,” said U.S. Army Gen. Stephen Townsend, ...

  • British troops deployed to war-torn Mali for UN’s most dangerous peacekeeping mission

    December 3, 2020

    British soldiers have arrived in Mali to join the world’s most dangerous UN peacekeeping mission in the war-torn west African country. The 300 troops from the Light Dragoons and Royal Anglian Regiment will work alongside 16,000 peacekeepers from 56 different countries. Their role will be to provide specialist long-range reconnaissance for the United Nations mission, gathering intelligence ...

  • United States provides additional US$ 3 million for humanitarian demining in Zimbabwe

    November 18, 2020

    The United States government is pleased to announce an additional USD $3 million for humanitarian demining projects in Zimbabwe. Since 1998, the United States has invested more than $23.9 million in Zimbabwe to protect people from landmines and promote economic opportunities through safe access to land. The United States supports the Government of Zimbabwe’s goal ...

  • France says it has killed senior al Qaeda operative in Mali

    November 13, 2020

    French forces have killed Bah ag Moussa, a military leader of al Qaeda’s North Africa wing, during an operation in northeastern Mali, Armed Forces Minister Florence Parly said on Friday. The former Malian army colonel, also known as Bamoussa Diarra, was a right-hand man of Iyad Ag Ghali, the leader of Mali’s most prominent jihadi group, ...

  • Nigerian Army Releases Names of 86 People Wanted for Terrorism

    November 11, 2020

    The Nigerian Army on Wednesday released a list of 86 persons wanted in connection with act of terrorist. They were alleged to be members of the notorious Boko Haram terror group. The latest release was the fourth in such releases as the military authorities had in the past rolled out lists of wanted terrorist. The latest list ...

  • Angola: US donates over USD 11 million for demining

    October 20, 2020

    According to a note that ANGOP has had access, since 1995 and with increased funding in 2020, the US has so far contributed over US$145 million to these efforts in Angola and is the biggest bilateral donor to the humanitarian demining process in the country. They strongly support the government’s goal of safely clearing all minefields ...

  • UN peacekeeper killed and another seriously wounded after their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in northern Mali

    October 15, 2020

    A UN peacekeeper was killed in northern Mali and another seriously wounded after their vehicle hit a roadside bomb on Thursday, the UN mission said. The attack came as civil servants in the capital, Bamako, protested against the “selective release” of foreign hostages in hostage swap deals by the government. The attack on the UN Multidimensional ...

  • A closer look at Congo’s Islamist rebels

    September 30, 2020

    Since the start of 2019, more than 1,000 civilians have been killed in and around eastern Congo’s Beni region. These atrocities — which U.N. monitors have said may be war crimes — are the latest in periodic waves of massacres in the area since late 2014. This violence followed the start of a large-scale Congolese army ...

  • Nigeria: 4 soldiers, 10 policemen, 4 others killed by terrorists

    September 27, 2020

    The Defence Headquarters (DHQ), said 18 persons, among them 4 soldiers, 10 policemen and 4 civilians, have been killed by Boko Haram terrorists in an ambush in Borno State. The deceased met their death Friday while providing security for the convoy of the Borno State Civilians Relocation Committee. The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche ...

  • Al-Shabaab’s Improvised Explosive Device Supply Chain Gambit In Somalia

    September 22, 2020

    Al-Shabaab ended 2019 with a truck-borne improvised explosive device (IED) attack that killed at least 82 people and wounded dozens more in Mogadishu, Somalia. It capped a decade of increasingly deadly complex suicide attacks by the Somali terrorist group that routinely involves homemade IED devices constructed from commercially imported chemical precursors. These materials transit through ...

  • Six killed in suicide attack in Cameroon’s Far North region

    September 13, 2020

    At least six civilians have been killed and 10 others injured in a suicide attack in Zeleved, a locality in Cameroon’s Far North region, according to several security sources. Local officials interviewed by Xinhua confirmed the attack and said the traditional ruler and his wife were among those killed in the attack that occurred late Friday. Boko ...

  • Kenya: 3 al Shabaab militants blow themselves up while setting up IED in Garissa

    September 11, 2020

    Three suspected al Shabaab militants died after they were blown up by their own bomb device in Garissa, near the Kenyan border with Somalia, according to police reports. While the incident happened on Thursday evening, information and confirmations from authorities became available on Friday. Police reports say an Improvised Explosive Devise (IED) exploded while being assembled by ...

  • Several killed in suicide bombing outside mosque in Somalia

    September 11, 2020

    At least six people have been killed in a suicide bombing outside a mosque in the Somalian port city of Kismayo, according to a regional official. “A suicide bomber wearing a heavy vest of explosives targeted the Muslim congregation at the Qaadim mosque in the centre of the town as people were leaving the mosque after ...

  • Sudan: Attorney General Announces Finding Explosive Materials and Warns Citizens

    September 10, 2020

    The Attorney General, Tajal-Sir Al-Hibir, announced at a media briefing Wednesday the detection of explosive materials that pose a security threat to Sudan and neighboring countries. Present at the media briefing were the General Director of the Police Forces, Deputy Commander and the Spokesman of the Rapid Support Forces. He said that the explosive materials, after being ...