Royal Navy makes Pitcairn Island safe during explosive visit

A team of Royal Navy divers safely detonated more than 3½ tonnes of explosives during a visit by HMS Tamar to the remote Pitcairn Islands. Pitcairn is a tiny British Overseas Territory in the southwest Pacific with only 38 residents Read More …

UK: More than 30 smoke mortars destroyed by Army in Powys

Controlled explosions were carried out by the Army last week, after 32 smoke mortars were discovered in Powys. The items were believed to have been found by someone digging in the Three Cocks area, near Brecon. They were safely removed Read More …

Northern Ireland: North Belfast suspicious object declared ‘elaborate hoax’

A security alert in the Canning Place area of north Belfast has now ended. Local policing Sergeant Kelly said: “A suspected pipe bomb was found at the front of a residential property on Sunday morning, 12th April.“ A number of Read More …

UK: Unexploded WW2 bomb detonated in controlled explosion at Mansel Park, Southampton

A suspected unexploded World War II device was safely detonated in a controlled explosion at Mansel Park in Millbrook on Sunday afternoon. The Army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal team rushed to the scene after the item was discovered by a man Read More …

UK: Man accused of leading Al-Shabaab activities charged with terror offences

A man has been charged with terrorist offences involving a group in East Africa. Jermaine Grant, 43, of no fixed address, is accused of directing the activities of the Somali-based terrorist organisation Al-Shabaab. He has also been charged with three Read More …

Northern Ireland: Security alert in north Belfast ends after hoax device found

Police confirmed that the suspicious object discovered at the Workman Avenue peace gate was an elaborate hoax. The alert began around 11:45am, leading to the evacuation of residents and closure of nearby roads. Ammunition Technical Officers carried out a controlled Read More …

UK: AI-powered drones to detect explosive threats and protect military personnel

UK military personnel are set to be better protected on the battlefield as a result of trials which demonstrate cutting-edge AI in drones can rapidly recognise new threats, such as landmines and other explosive ordnance. The major trial by the Read More …

Northern Ireland: Hijacked car driven to police station in Lurgan contained improvised bomb

Irish nationalist ​militants were likely behind the hijacking and placing of an improvised explosive ‌device in a food delivery vehicle that was ordered to drive to a Northern Irish police station before the device was made safe, police said on Read More …

UN says initial findings show roadside blast killed Lebanon peacekeepers

A roadside explosion appears to have struck the convoy of two Indonesian peacekeepers ‌killed in southern Lebanon, the U.N. peacekeeping chief said on Tuesday, citing initial findings of an investigation. The two peacekeepers with the UNIFIL force were killed on Read More …

UK: Unexploded WW2 mortar shell safely removed from Epsom council offices

An unexploded World War II mortar shell has been safely removed from the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council offices, allowing the town centre to fully reopen to the public. Earlier today, a member of the public brought the mortar shell Read More …

UK: Jewish volunteer ambulances set on fire outside London synagogue in antisemitic attack

Several ambulances belonging to a Jewish volunteer rescue organization were set on fire outside a synagogue in a neighborhood home to London’s largest Jewish community early on Monday, in an antisemitic attack. Flames lit up the night sky and residents Read More …

UK: Man caught with stash of weapons in Abergwynfi

A man has pleaded guilty to possessing a haul of weapons including a Ninja sword, a knuckle duster, and extendable batons. Maximin Carter was arrested on February 15 on suspicion of attempting to make an explosive after emergency services – Read More …

UK: RAF Lossiemouth bomb scare ends after ‘controlled explosion’

An incident involving a “suspicious package” at RAF Lossiemouth has ended. The Explosive Ordnance Disposal team which attended conducted a controlled explosion revealing the package contained nothing of concern. The areas which had been cordoned off are now re-opening, and Read More …

UK: Pitsea man charged after small device discovered in warrant

A man has been charged and will appear in court after proactive investigative work led officers to execute a warrant at an address in Pitsea. Officers conducted a planned search at a property in Rokescroft following intelligence about the possible Read More …

UK: Bomb squad carried out controlled explosion after ‘explosive device’ from WW2 found

The bomb squad were called out to a village in Rossendale following reports that an ‘explosive device’ had been found in a garage. Members of the Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) attended the premises on the bridle path off Blackwood Road, Read More …

UK: Four people arrested under National Security Act

Four people have been arrested as part of a Counter Terrorism Policing investigation into suspected National Security Act offences. The men [A-D] were arrested on Friday, 6 March on suspicion of assisting a foreign intelligence service, contrary to section 3 Read More …

UK: Man convicted of attempted murder after explosive device found in Borehamwood

A 38-year-old man has been convicted of attempted murder after a homemade explosive device was discovered beneath a vehicle on a residential driveway in Borehamwood last summer. Robert Kovacs, of Tenby Road, Edgware, was found guilty on Tuesday (3 March) Read More …

UK: Counter terrorism police arrest two people in Hull with ‘potentially suspicious items’ found

A man and a woman have been arrested in Hull following a raid by counter terror police at a property in Morpeth Street yesterday. The pair, both 23, were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder. Counter terrorism police said Read More …

UK: WWI shell defused in Hungerford

A suspected bomb uncovered on a building site in Hungerford has been confirmed as a WWI shell. Police and bomb disposal experts attended the site in Charnham Street and carried out a controlled explosion. A Thames Valley Police spokesperson said: Read More …

Northern Ireland: Fresh appeal for information over couple killed in car bomb in 1990

A fresh appeal for information has been made over the killing of a former police officer and his wife by a car bomb in 1990. James Sefton, 65, and his wife Ellen, 66, were killed when a booby trap device Read More …