Two men have been charged in connection with the discovery of a suspected explosive device in the Irish Republic last year. Police arrested the pair, aged 44 and 49, in Fermanagh and Tyrone on Tuesday night.
They were charged with the preparation of a terrorist act and are due to appear via video link at Strabane Magistrates’ Court on Thursday. Police said the arrests were in connection with the discovery of a suspected improvised explosive device in the Ravensdale area of Co Louth on June 9 2024.
Read more…
Source: BelfastLive News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Northern Ireland: Police release images of Derry pipe bombs and IED parts
March 15, 2022
The PSNI have released images of pipe bombs and IED parts recovered during an operation in Derry. Detectives from the Terrorism Investigation Unit provided an update following the security alert in the city’s Fahan Street area yesterday and today. Detective Chief Inspector Andrew Hamlin said: “Following a complex operation yesterday and today, we have removed component parts ...
- Northern Ireland: Arm na Poblachta claims explosive device aimed at PSNI car in Co Derry
March 12, 2022
Republican group Arm na Poblachta has claimed it targeted a PSNI car with an improvised explosive device in Co Derry. Using a recognised codeword, the group claimed there is a device at the junction of Feeny Road and Killunaght Road, near Dungiven, which was aimed at a police car. The PSNI last night said they were “conducting ...
- Northern Ireland: Detonated device discovered in attempted ATM theft on Belfast’s Ballysillan Road
March 1, 2022
A detonated device was recovered by police after an attempted ATM theft in north Belfast, which led to a “loud bang and small explosion” being heard by residents. It happened on the Ballysillan Road shortly after 1am outside Brian’s Convenience Store, where suspicious activity was reported to police. When police arrived, the suspect device had detonated close ...
- Northern Ireland: Police confirm loud bang in Lurgan was pipe bomb after device remnants discovered
January 31, 2022
At around 9.25pm, it was reported that a loud bang was heard in the area, and the bathroom window of a property had been smashed. Inspector Conway said: “Following a number of proactive searches carried out last night and today (Monday), what is believed to be a detonated pipe bomb was located. “A number of homes in ...
- Northern Ireland: Homes evacuated following suspected pipe bomb explosion in Bessbrook, Co Armagh
January 28, 2022
Residents have been allowed to return home after being evacuated following the discovery of a suspected pipe bomb in Co. Armagh. It was reported shortly before 11pm that neighbours heard a loud bang in the John F. Kennedy Park area of Bessbrook. Police arrived at the scene where the remains of a suspected pipe bomb was discovered, ...
- Northern Ireland: Pipe bomb found in Loughguile security alert
January 17, 2022
Residents in a Co Antrim village have endured a “frightening and very disruptive experience” after a small but viable pipe bomb was found during a security alert. Inspector O’Brien said: “Shortly after 8.50am on Sunday, January 16, police received and responded to a report that a device had been left in the area. “The object, which was ...
- Northern Ireland: County Armagh man jailed for making blast bomb
January 11, 2022
An “eccentric” Co Armagh weapons collector who admitted making a “blast-incendiary improvised” bomb has been handed a 15 month sentence. Although ordered to serve half his sentence in jail and the rest on licence, Sean Fintan Burns will soon be freed due to time spent on remand. Sentencing the 34-year-old at Craigavon Crown Court, Judge Patrick Lynch ...
- Northern Ireland: Woman arrested over Derry New IRA bomb-making probe
January 11, 2022
Detectives from the PSNI’s Terrorism Investigation Unit (TIU) investigating the bomb-making activities of the New IRA have arrested a 52-year-old woman in the Creggan area of Derry earlier today, Tuesday, January 11, 2022. Detective Inspector Clara Heaton said: “The woman, who has been taken to the Serious Crime Suite at Musgrave Police Station in Belfast for ...
- Northern Ireland: Lurgan man admitted to making ‘blast-incendiary improvised’ bomb
November 12, 2021
A Co. Armagh man has admitted making a “blast-incendiary improvised” bomb. With Sean Fintan Burns standing in the dock of Craigavon Crown Court on Thursday, defence counsel Damien Halleron asked for him to be re-arraigned on three of the four charges against the 34-year-old. Burns, from Woodville Street in Lurgan, making a blast incendiary-type improvised explosive device ...
- Northern Ireland: Police arrest four people after bus was hijacked and set on fire in County Down
November 12, 2021
Police in Northern Ireland have arrested four people nearly two weeks after a bus was hijacked and set on fire in County Down. The force has said it believes the arson was carried out by loyalists from a local faction of the of the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) paramilitary group. Two masked and armed men boarded the ...
- Northern Ireland: Bus hijacked and set on fire by gang
November 7, 2021
A bus has been destroyed after it was hijacked and set on fire in Newtownabbey, County Antrim. It happened near Valley Leisure Centre on Church Road at 19:45 GMT on Sunday. Police said four men got on to the bus, ordered the passengers and the driver to get off and then set it alight. It is the second ...
- Northern Ireland: PSNI Officer thought under car device he discovered in 2019 was a ‘wind-up’
October 21, 2021
A police officer who discovered a bomb under his car initially thought the “crude” device put there was a “wind-up,” a court has heard. The viable device was discovered at Shandon Park Golf Club in east Belfast in June 2019. The officer’s statement was read during the first day of a non-jury trial. Peter Granaghan, of Blackrock Park, ...
- Omagh bomb: ‘Real prospect attack could have been prevented’
July 23, 2021
It is plausible that there was a real prospect the 1998 Omagh bombing could have been prevented by the security services, a judge has ruled. Mr Justice Mark Horner also called for new investigations on both sides of the Irish border. He made the ruling at Belfast High Court in a case brought by Michael Gallagher, whose ...
- Northern Ireland: Armagh woman faces jail term after she admits having improvised viable blast bomb
July 5, 2021
A CO Armagh woman faces the prospect of a jail sentence after she admitted in court to having an improvised but viable blast bomb. With Rebecca Gregory appearing at Newry Crown Court by videolink from her solicitor’s office, defence counsel Aaron Thompson asked for the single charge to be put to the 22-year-old again and she ...
- Northern Ireland: Explosive device made safe in Portadown
June 15, 2021
An explosive device has been made safe during a security alert in Portadown. Police say it was discovered yesterday afternoon in the Glanroy Avenue area of the town. The device was defused by army bomb disposal experts and taken for forensic examination. Read more… Source: Q Radio News

