Two men have been charged in connection with the discovery of a suspected explosive device in the Irish Republic last year. Police arrested the pair, aged 44 and 49, in Fermanagh and Tyrone on Tuesday night.
They were charged with the preparation of a terrorist act and are due to appear via video link at Strabane Magistrates’ Court on Thursday. Police said the arrests were in connection with the discovery of a suspected improvised explosive device in the Ravensdale area of Co Louth on June 9 2024.
Read more…
Source: BelfastLive News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Northern Ireland: Reward offered for information about Dunmurry car bomb
May 9, 2026
Detectives carried out road stops in Dunmurry near Belfast on Saturday as Crimestoppers offered a reward of up to £20,000 for information about the car bomb attack on a police station two weeks ago. At around 10.45pm on April 25 a delivery driver was threatened by a masked gunman in the Summerhill area of Twinbrook, the ...
- Northern Ireland: Teenager among three people arrested over Lurgan police station car bomb attack
May 6, 2026
Three people, including a teenage boy, have been arrested in connection with the investigation into an attack on a police station in Northern Ireland in March. The device, which was the size of a briefcase, had been placed in the boot of a fast-food delivery driver’s car and he was told to drive it to the ...
- Northern Ireland: PSNI investigating Dunmurry bomb attack make arrest
April 28, 2026
Police investigating the Dunmurry car bomb attack have made an arrest. In a statement issued on Tuesday afternoon, the PSNI said detectives from their Terrorism Investigation Unit had made the arrest. The statement added: “Following searches this morning, Tuesday 28 April, a 66-year-old man was arrested in the Dunmurry area. “He was arrested under the Terrorism ...
- Northern Ireland: Explosive device detonated outside PSNI station in Dunmurry
April 26, 2026
An explosive device in a car that detonated outside a police station on the outskirts of Belfast was “sent to kill officers”, the chairman of the Northern Ireland Policing Board has said. Forensic officers were examining the burnt-out vehicle on Sunday morning in a side street beside the PSNI station in the Kingsway area of Dunmurry. ...
- Northern Ireland: North Belfast suspicious object declared ‘elaborate hoax’
April 12, 2026
A security alert in the Canning Place area of north Belfast has now ended. Local policing Sergeant Kelly said: “A suspected pipe bomb was found at the front of a residential property on Sunday morning, 12th April.“ A number of residents were advised to evacuate during the public safety operation that followed, with local facilities ...
- Northern Ireland: Security alert in north Belfast ends after hoax device found
April 3, 2026
Police confirmed that the suspicious object discovered at the Workman Avenue peace gate was an elaborate hoax. The alert began around 11:45am, leading to the evacuation of residents and closure of nearby roads. Ammunition Technical Officers carried out a controlled explosion before reopening the area and allowing residents to return home. The object was found at ...
- Northern Ireland: Hijacked car driven to police station in Lurgan contained improvised bomb
March 31, 2026
Irish nationalist militants were likely behind the hijacking and placing of an improvised explosive device in a food delivery vehicle that was ordered to drive to a Northern Irish police station before the device was made safe, police said on Tuesday. The fast food delivery driver was forced to stop by two masked men at around ...
- Northern Ireland: Fresh appeal for information over couple killed in car bomb in 1990
February 25, 2026
A fresh appeal for information has been made over the killing of a former police officer and his wife by a car bomb in 1990. James Sefton, 65, and his wife Ellen, 66, were killed when a booby trap device exploded under their car in Belfast. It happened on Wednesday June 6 after the couple had ...
- Northern Ireland: Man accused of storing explosives in Belfast home not ideologically driven or linked to terrorism
February 12, 2026
A man accused of storing explosives in his south Belfast home is not ideologically driven or linked to terrorism, the High Court heard today. Dangerous chemicals and an improvised grenade were discovered during a major security alert at Radoslaw Kuc’s terraced house on Empire Street last year, prosecutors said. But a judge was told psychiatric assessments ...
- Ireland: Plan to jam bomb phone signals met with resistance
December 28, 2025
Irish phone companies were “unwilling” to take part in an early 2000s scheme to temporarily block networks in a bid to prevent bombs being set off in Northern Ireland, according to previously confidential documents. Authorities in Northern Ireland and the UK had been engaging with the Republic of Ireland about the possible implementation of a plan ...
- Northern Ireland: Co Down man denied bail as court hears details of cross-border terror plot to attack mosque
December 18, 2025
A man in Northern Ireland charged with terror offences linked to a cross-border police investigation into a planned attack on a Galway mosque has been denied bail. Connor Pollock, 38, from Croob Park, in Ballynahinch, Co Down, appeared via videolink from HMP Maghaberry for a bail hearing at the Downpatrick Magistrates’ Court on Thursday. Pollock is ...
- Northern Ireland: Viable pipe-bomb found as homes evacuated in West Belfast security alert
December 8, 2025
A number of homes were evacuated following the discovery of a pipe-bomb in West Belfast. Emergency services are currently at the scene in the Areema Drive area of Dunmurry. A pSNI spokesperson said: “Our officers attended the scene, along with ammunition technical officers, who examined the device. It was discovered to be a viable pipe bomb ...
- Ireland: Cross-border bomb plot linked to far-right anti-migrant group
November 8, 2025
The discovery of four improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in Co Down has been linked to a cross-border far-right pipe-bomb plot. The bombs were discovered during a PSNI operation carried out under the Terrorism Act in Annalong, Co Down, on Wednesday. The planned search of a house in the Kilhorne Green area came after two men were ...
- Northern Ireland: Two arrested in Tyrone and Fermanagh over discovery of device in Irish Republic
October 15, 2025
Two men have been charged in connection with the discovery of a suspected explosive device in the Irish Republic last year. Police arrested the pair, aged 44 and 49, in Fermanagh and Tyrone on Tuesday night. They were charged with the preparation of a terrorist act and are due to appear via video link at Strabane ...
- Northern Ireland: Pipe bomb left at Sinn Féin office in Newry, County Down
October 6, 2025
The first minister has described the discovery of a viable explosive device outside a Sinn Féin constituency office as an “attack on democracy”. The pipe bomb-type device was left at the office shared by Newry and Armagh MP Dáire Hughes and Infrastructure Minister Liz Kimmins in Monaghan Street in Newry, County Down. Army ammunition technical officers ...

