“We beat them through their own app; all they can do is delete our IDs,” an Islamic State (IS) supporter from Qawqaz, the Arabic name for the Caucasus region, boasted in a closed chat room on the Darknet.
He was live-updating other IS members about the attack that killed more than 140 people at a concert hall near Moscow in March — the worst attack to hit Russia in years. Soon after, the militant Islamic State’s Khorasan Province (ISKP) claimed responsibility for the attack. While there was no official word on the motive, security analysts have pointed out that for at least two years preceding the attack, the ISKP had been fixated on Russia, frequently criticising Putin in its propaganda.
Read more…
Source: Dawn News
Related:
- Cameroon: Boko Haram Suicide Bombers Strike Displacement Site
August 25, 2020
The Islamist armed group Boko Haram used apparent child suicide bombers in an unlawful attack on a site for displaced people in the Far North region of Cameroon, Human Rights Watch said today. The attack, carried out overnight between August 1 and 2, 2020 in the town of Nguetechewe, killed at least 17 civilians, including 5 ...
- Philippines: Twin explosions hit Jolo, killing at least 14
August 24, 2020
Twin explosions have ripped through a town in a restive region of the southern Philippines, killing at least 14 people and wounding 75. Military officials said two bombs went off within an hour of each other in Jolo, Sulu province, on Monday. They suspect the bombings were carried out by militant Islamists linked to the Abu Sayyaf ...
- Iraq: At least four civilians wounded in Kirkuk IED attack
August 23, 2020
At least four civilians were wounded when an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded in the city of Kirkuk on Sunday, security forces have said. The explosion took place while a Shiite religious procession for the holy Ashura period was being held in the southern Kirkuk neighbourhood of Raparin, local police chief Bri. Gen. Haval Abdul-Muhsin told ...
- Kabul magnetic bombs rattle the city
August 22, 2020
Three magnetic bombs exploded in three different locations around Kabul city on Saturday early morning causing casualties, officials confirmed. Initial explosion took place in Sarak-e-Naw area of Chehlsotoon at around 6:30, a magnetic mine was placed in a private Toyota vehicle that killed one civilian and injured two others. The second bomb targeting a police vehicle exploded ...
- New IRA: Heathrow arrest part of anti-dissident republican operation
August 22, 2020
A man arrested at Heathrow Airport has become the 10th person detained as part of a major operation against dissident republicans in Northern Ireland. Detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) arrested the man on Saturday as part of an investigation into the New IRA. The 62-year-old, who lives in Scotland, was brought to Belfast ...
- Salman and Hashem Abedi: The brothers who bombed Manchester
August 19, 2020
So how did Salman and Hashem Abedi come to attack the city they’d grown up in by bombing an Ariana Grande concert in 2017? The trial of Hashem Abedi has given us many of the details but still not the whole picture. He has now been convicted but he wasn’t even in the UK when his ...
- Education Official Killed in Kabul Blast
August 19, 2020
The incident happened in PD5 of Kabul city after a magnetic mine placed on Mr Amin’s vehicle exploded. His driver was also wounded, the statement said. This was one of two separate magnetic mine blasts in Kabul city on Wednesday morning, said Ferdaws Faramarz, a spokesman for the Kabul police. The first blast happened in PD12 of ...
- Afghanistan: 2 Security Force Members Killed, 11 Wounded in Baghlan Blast
August 19, 2020
At least two security force personnel affiliated with the National Directorate of Security (NDS) were killed, and 11 people–including civilians–were wounded in a roadside mine blast in northern Baghlan province, a security source said. The incident happened around10:00am local time in Pul-e-Khumri, the capital of Baghlan, close to the NDS office when a security vehicle struck ...
- Russian general killed, two servicemen wounded in Syria explosion
August 18, 2020
A military adviser in the rank of a major-general was killed in an explosion in Syria while two servicemen were wounded, Russia’s Defense Ministry reported on Tuesday. An improvised roadside bomb exploded 15 km from the city of Deir ez-Zor when a Russian military convoy was returning to its base after a humanitarian mission on August ...
- Somalia: Over a dozen killed in hours-long Mogadishu hotel siege
August 17, 2020
At least 16 people were killed and dozens wounded in a gun and bomb attack by the al-Shabab armed group on an upscale beachfront hotel in Somalia’s capital. The hotel siege ended on Sunday after a fierce three-hour gun battle between al-Shabab fighters and security forces that began with a suicide car bombing, government spokesman Ismael ...
- Security forces recover IED planted beneath bridge in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama
August 17, 2020
A major tragedy was averted after security forces recovered an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) near Tujan village in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday (August 16) night. The IED was planted beneath a bridge. IGP Kashmir Vijay kumar said, “An IED planted by terrorists under a bridge near Tujan village recovered. This is a ...
- Taliban IED experts blown up by own bomb in a mosque in North of Afghanistan
August 17, 2020
A group of Taliban sustained casualties as they were busy manufacturing an improvised explosive device, roadside bomb, in a mosque in North of Afghanistan. The 209th Shaheen Corps in a statement said the incident took place in a mosque in Chahabar Bolak district of Balkh. The statement further added that a group of 8 Taliban IED experts ...
- Two Wounded in Roadside Blast In Kabul
August 16, 2020
A blast was reported Sunday in PD12, in the Salim Karwan area in Arzan Qemat, a neighborhood in the eastern part of Kabul city, police said. According to Kabul police, two people were wounded when the mine went off. The police did not say if the wounded are military personnel or civilians. Kabul police said that investigations have ...
- Israel: Police Neutralize Balloon Bomb in Yard of Netivot Home
August 16, 2020
Israel Police sent another bomb squad on Sunday to neutralize an improvised explosive device (IED) that floated its way to the yard of a home in the southern Israeli city of Netivot, in the western Negev. The homemade bomb was attached to a cluster of balloons launched by terrorists from Gaza, one of dozens of explosive ...
- Pakistan: Five injured, FC van damaged in two Balochistan explosions
August 15, 2020
Two bomb blasts occurred in Balochistan’s Nushki and Mastung district on Thursday. The target of the attack in Nushki was a vehicle of the Frontier Corps, but no one was injured in the attack. The blast in Mastung, however, left five people, including a woman and a child, injured. According to sources, the patrolling vehicle of the Frontier ...
- Afghanistan: Four Civilians Killed in Kandahar Roadside Mine Blast
August 13, 2020
At least four civilians were killed and six others were wounded in a roadside mine blast in Kandahar province on Thursday morning, Kandahar police said in a statement. The incident happened in Panjwai district of the province after a civilian vehicle struck a roadside mine, the statement said. “Three women and a child were killed and four ...
- Thailand: Soldiers Killed, Injured in Deep South Bomb Attacks
August 13, 2020
Two soldiers were killed and three others injured in a pair of roadside bombings Thursday in Thailand’s insurgency-stricken Deep South as they escorted teachers and students to schools for the start of the academic year, authorities said. Officials blamed separatist rebels for the attacks in Pattani and Narathiwat provinces, the first deadly bombings in the southern ...
- Ukrainian soldier killed in booby trap blast in Donbas
August 13, 2020
Two Ukrainian servicemen hit an unidentified explosive device in the Joint Forces Operation zone in Donbas, and one of them was killed in the explosion, the Ukrainian Defense Ministry has reported. “Today, on August 13, two Joint Forces servicemen deviated from their route and hit an unidentified explosive device. Unfortunately, one of them was killed, and ...
- Afghanistan: An explosion in Farah kill and injure dozens including police members
August 12, 2020
An explosion targeting police vehicles inside Farah city kills 4 police and injures 22 civilians in Farah city, an official said. “Explosives placed inside a vehicle targeted a police car around 18:30 in district 4 of Farah city on Wednesday, killing 4 policemen and injured 22 civilians”, Tariq Aryan, a spokesperson to the Ministry of Interior ...
- Defense Ministry: Death toll of Haftar’s mines in Libya rises to 55
August 12, 2020
The Defense Ministry of the Libyan Government of National Accord said the number of deaths due to mines planted by Khalifa Haftar’s forces in south Tripoli and Sirte had reached 55. The ministry said the number of injuries also reached 107 to bring the total to 162; 64 of whom are mine clearance experts and 98 ...
- Roadside bomb blast kills 3 soldiers in SW Yemen
August 12, 2020
At least three pro-government Yemeni soldiers were killed on Wednesday in an explosion caused by a roadside bomb in the country’s southwestern province of Taiz, a government official told Xinhua. The local government source said on condition of anonymity that “an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attached previously to a military vehicle exploded near the local authority ...
- Explosion in Kabul city leaves at least 3 dead or wounded
August 11, 2020
An explosion in Kabul city left at least three people dead or wounded, hours after a similar blast left at least two people wounded. Sources in Kabul Police Headquarters confirmed that the explosion took place in the vicinity of Prozha-e Jadid, located in Khair Khana area of the city in 11th district. The sources further added that ...

