The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, citing rising cases, cross-border spread and significant uncertainties about the scale of the epidemic.
The decision, announced by WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus on Sunday, follows reports of both confirmed and suspected infections linked to the Bundibugyo strain of the virus.
While the situation is serious, it does not currently meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency under the WHO’s International Health Regulations.
Read more…
Source: UN News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- UK to cut short deployment of troops to UN mission in Mali
November 14, 2022
The UK announced on Monday, November 14 that it would cut short its troop deployment with the UN’s peacekeeping mission in Mali, after relations with the country’s Russian-backed junta soured. “I can announce that the UK contingent will now be leaving the MINUSMA mission earlier than planned,” Defence Minister James Heappey told parliament, referring to the ...
- Somalia: Human rights chief decries steep rise in civilian casualties
November 14, 2022
A steep rise in civilian casualties across Somalia, largely at the hands of Al-Shabaab militants, has exacerbated an already grim human rights and humanitarian situation there, said the UN human rights chief on Monday. According to latest UN figures, at least 613 civilians have been killed and 948 injured so far this year – the highest ...
- US to reward informant who will help capture 3 al Shabaab leaders
November 14, 2022
The US government has increased the reward for each of the three wanted al Shabaab leaders to $10,000,000 (Sh1 billion). Those who may help capture the three will be relocated if needed. The US embassies in Nairobi and Mogadishu were Monday, November 14, scheduled to announce the reward in Nairobi. Initially, Mahad Karate, also known as Abdirahman Mohamed ...
- EU Pledges Military Help for Niger
November 11, 2022
The EU official said Brussels had “drawn the lessons from our past experience in Mali in particular and that is why we don’t want to have a large-scale EU training mission for Niger”. The official said the mission would involve setting up a centre to help train Niger’s troops on “maintenance and logistics issues”. It will also ...
- Somali, African Union troops devise ways to curb use of explosive devices
November 11, 2022
The African Union Transition Mission in Somalia (ATMIS) and the Somali National Army (SNA) ended a three-day meeting in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu on Friday in an effort to devise ways of countering the threat posed by improvised explosive devices (IEDs). The 64 allied troops met to enhance counter-IED capabilities, including the capacity to apply the elements ...
- Kenya: Scare at British official’s home in Nairobi over ‘abandoned bomb’
November 9, 2022
There was a scare at the official Nairobi residence of a senior British High Commission official when security stumbled on an “abandoned bomb”. This was after the security at the residence of the First Secretary at the High Commission raised alarm saying they had spotted an object they believed to be a bomb at the entrance ...
- Somali Telecommunications Center, Tower Destroyed in Explosion
November 7, 2022
Somalia’s largest telecommunications company, Hormuud Telecom, says one of its centers and a telecommunications tower have been destroyed in an explosion in Qaayib, a village in the Galmudug state of Somalia. The company said a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED) destroyed the center and tower on Monday. “It’s with great sadness to inform our customers that a ...
- Six UN peace keepers wounded in IED attack in central Mali
November 7, 2022
Six U.N. peacekeepers were wounded in central Mali when two armored vehicles in a convoy were hit by separate improvised explosive devices, the United Nations said Monday. The U.N. peacekeeping mission in Mali reported that the incidents took place in the Douentza region, on Route Nationale 16 in the Dangol Boré commune, U.N. associate spokeswoman Stephanie ...
- Egypt: Senior officer, three pro-government militia allies killed in North Sinai
November 7, 2022
An IED blast claimed the lives of a senior officer and three members of a Bedouin pro-government militia on Sunday, in the latest attack on security forces in the restive North Sinai. Militants belonging to the Islamic State group remain active in the Gelbana village which is close to the Suez Canal and 480km from this ...
- Somalia: Explosion in Mogadishu Kills 2 Students
November 6, 2022
Police in Somalia say at least two people have been killed and five others wounded by a roadside explosion that hit a vehicle carrying students in the Dayniile district of Mogadishu. “Those wounded include people traveling with the students, and others were passersby,” said police spokesperson Sadiq Doodishe, who said the students killed were returning home ...
- Somali army chief confirms five dead in attack on training camp
November 6, 2022
The Somali army chief has confirmed that at least 5 people died and 11 were injured after a suicide bomber blew himself up outside the Gen Dhagabadan Army Training Camp in southern Mogadishu on Sunday evening. Speaking to the state media, General Odawaa Yusuf Rage said that the person who carried out the attack hid among ...
- Kenya: 2 children die in explosion after tinkering with RPG in Mandera
October 30, 2022
Two children died Sunday morning after an explosive went off while they were herding goats at Iresuki village in Mandera County. Confirming the incident, Mandera CIO Benedict Kigen said the warhead, suspected to have been launched from a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG), exploded after the unsuspecting children tinkered with it. The CIO added that investigation is underway to ...
- Somalia: ‘Scores of casualties’ after twin blasts in Mogadishu
October 29, 2022
Twin car bombings rocked Somalia’s capital Mogadishu on Saturday causing “scores of casualties”. A vehicle loaded with explosives was driven into the education ministry compound and was followed by gunfire, police officer Ibrahim Mohamed said. “In a few minutes another blast occurred in the same area,” he added. https://twitter.com/HornExpert/status/1586326725209640963 Read more… Source: Al Jazeera/Abdihalim Bashir – Twitter Related story: At least ...
- Federal Government of Somalia engages terrorists with support from U.S. forces
October 25, 2022
In coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command conducted an airstrike against al-Shabaab terrorists who were attacking Somali National Army forces near Buulobarde, Somalia, about 218 km north-northwest of Mogadishu, on Oct. 23. The command’s initial assessment is that the strike killed two attacking al-Shabaab terrorists and that no civilians were injured or ...
- Nigerian capital on alert after US, UK security warnings
October 24, 2022
Residents in Nigeria’s capital city, Abuja, were on high alert and avoided some places on Monday, a day after the U.S. and U.K. issued terror alerts about possible attacks in the city. The Department of State Services, which is Nigeria’s secret and intelligence police, called for calm and advised that “necessary precautions are taken” to prevent ...

