The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, citing rising cases, cross-border spread and significant uncertainties about the scale of the epidemic.
The decision, announced by WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus on Sunday, follows reports of both confirmed and suspected infections linked to the Bundibugyo strain of the virus.
While the situation is serious, it does not currently meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency under the WHO’s International Health Regulations.
Read more…
Source: UN News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Somalia: Death toll from car bomb blasts in Hiraan region rises to 35
January 4, 2023
Al-Shabaab militants detonated two car bombs killing at least 35 people and leveling several houses in central Somalia’s Hiraan region on Wednesday, a government-allied militia and a local elder said. The death toll from a twin car bomb attack in central Somalia’s Hiraan region has risen to 35, up from an earlier toll of at least ...
- DR Congo: Lost grenade kills two children in South Kivu province
January 4, 2023
Two children have died and six people been wounded in eastern DR Congo after a grenade they discovered during a bird-hunt exploded, local officials said on Tuesday. A group of youngsters had been hunting for birds Monday in a field near Ndunda, on the Ruzizi plain in South Kivu province, when they stumbled across the grenade. “These ...
- Complex violence defies military operations in restive east Congo
January 2, 2023
There was hope last week that mounting violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo could ebb, after the feared M23 group agreed to surrender territories to the East African Community Regional Forces (EACRF). And for most parts of the year, including recently, the security threat was largely seen as caused by the M23. But a new report ...
- For Senegalese landmine victims, a forgotten conflict lives on
December 31, 2022
Night was falling, and Boubacar Ba was once again hunting in the forest outside his hometown of Mpak in southern Senegal. Then a crack rang out, not from his rifle or another hunter. Not the Senegalese army or even the rebels waging a war for secession in the area. It was a landmine, which blew off ...
- Kenyan soldier killed and four others injured in roadside bomb blast in Lamu county
December 30, 2022
One Kenya Defence Forces soldier has been killed while four others injured at the Mlima Faru area in Lamu county. The soldier was killed after their vehicle drove over an Improvised Explosive Device (IED). This comes after two people were December 28 shot and killed by suspected al Shabaab terrorists who had disguised as Kenyan military and ...
- Nigeria: Explosion rocks Kogi minutes before Buhari’s visit
December 29, 2022
An explosion occurred Thursday in Kogi State minutes before President Muhammadu Buhari was to commission a project in the North-central state. Residents said the explosion, believed to be from a bomb, claimed the lives of at least four people in Karaworo District, Adavi Local Government Area. The police are yet to confirm the casualty figure. Residents close ...
- How New Jersey Guardsmen Thwarted One of the Largest Somali Terror Attacks in Decades
December 28, 2022
It was fall 2019, and there was a near certainty that the American-run Baledogle Military Airfield in the middle of Somalia was going to be attacked. The cavalry troops defending it knew the strike would be big — and they were right. On Sept. 30, a foreboding plume of smoke rose toward the sky just northwest ...
- Burkina Faso: At least 21 civilians killed in bus explosion in Gourma province
December 26, 2022
A public transport bus hit an improvised explosive device near the village of Bougui at the exit of the town of Fada N’Gourma, in the east of the country on Sunday, December 25, 2022. “At least 21 people died. These are mainly women and children. There were also several wounded who were transported to the Regional ...
- New Ugandan battle group deploys in Somalia under African Union Transition Mission in Somalia (ATMIS)
December 24, 2022
The Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) have deployed a new battle group to serve under the African Union Transition Mission in Somalia (ATMIS). Uganda Battle Group 37 replaces Battle Group 34 which has completed its one-year tour of duty in Somalia. During their tour of duty, the outgoing battle group conducted operations against Al-Shabaab, detonated improvised explosive ...
- Nigeria: 14-year-old killed while melting IED mistaken for scrap in Borno
December 23, 2022
A 14-year-old boy in Borno state has been reportedly killed by an improvised explosive device (IED) mistaken for scrap metal. According to Zagazola Makama, a publication focused on the Lake Chad region, the incident occurred in Banki town, Bama LGA of Borno, on Wednesday. Two other persons were said to have sustained injuries as a result of ...
- UN: The 3rd Egyptian Combat Convoy Company Receives the United Nations Medal
December 21, 2022
One-hundred and ten members of the 3rd Egyptian Combat Convoy Company were awarded the United Nations medal on 20 December 2022, as a tangible recognition of the peacekeepers’ efforts and achievements. The Egyptian company, based in Mopti, Mali, has participated in many missions since its deployment to the Center region in 2018; successfully completing 43 logistic ...
- Zimbabwe’s Women Deminers Sweep Away Fear And Stereotypes
December 21, 2022
When Zimbabwean deminer Memory Mutepfa digs up a landmine, places it in a pit and blows it up using electronic detonators, she feels pride, not fear. Mutepfa, 31, belongs to a group of women working to clear mines in eastern Zimbabwe, where the country’s former British colonial rulers laid millions of anti-personnel landmines during the 1970s ...
- Kenya: Three killed in al Shabaab attack in Garissa
December 21, 2022
At least three people were killed in al Shabaab attack in Garissa on Wednesday morning. The two police officers and a civilian were in a police vehicle when they were attacked between the Hayley Lapsset Camp and Garissa. Police and survivors said the attackers first used an improvised explosive device to demobilise the speeding police vehicle before ...
- Burkina Faso: At least eight dead, including six civilians, in two separate attacks
December 19, 2022
At least two Burkinabe soldiers and six civilians were killed Saturday in two separate attacks in northern and eastern Burkina Faso, AFP learned Monday from security and local sources. The first attack took place near Bouroum, in the northern province of Namentenga, where “a team of defense and security forces (FDS) on a mission hit an ...
- Nigeria: Ebonyi State Police discover ‘Biggest IPOB bomb factory’ with IEDs capable of mass killings
December 16, 2022
The Ebonyi State Police Command said it has recovered some Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) following the discovery of what it described as the biggest bomb factory in the South-East belonging to the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). The police said the recovered IEDs are capable of causing colossal damage to buildings and eradicating any living ...

