The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, citing rising cases, cross-border spread and significant uncertainties about the scale of the epidemic.
The decision, announced by WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus on Sunday, follows reports of both confirmed and suspected infections linked to the Bundibugyo strain of the virus.
While the situation is serious, it does not currently meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency under the WHO’s International Health Regulations.
Read more…
Source: UN News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Somalia: At Least 20 Killed in Triple Car Bombings in Hiran Region
October 4, 2022
At least 20 people were killed in a triple car bombing attack Monday in central Somalia, among them two local government officials. Witnesses said two vehicles loaded with explosives detonated in the morning, and a third in the afternoon. The three explosions rocked the city of Beledweyne in central Somalia, killing at least 20 people and ...
- Mali: Back to school in Ménaka – demining operations in the Grounds of the Intitaliwene School
October 4, 2022
As a prelude to the start of the school year in Ménaka, northern Mali, the MINUSMA force carried out an operation to detect and demine explosive devices within the Intitaliwene Elementary School, previously occupied by armed movements. The operation found several shell casings, as well as unexploded ordnance, including among the waste destined for incineration. https://twitter.com/mikadofm/status/1577238522456514562 Read more… Source: ...
- U.S. forces conduct strike in Somalia targeting al-Shabaab leader
October 3, 2022
In coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command conducted an airstrike against the al-Shabaab militant network in Somalia on October 1. The strike occurred near Jilib, about 370 kilometers southwest of Mogadishu. The command’s initial assessment is that the strike killed an al-Shabaab leader and that no civilians were injured or killed. Read more… Source: ...
- DR Congo: 13 Killed in Rebel Attack in Beni Region
October 3, 2022
Suspected members of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) attacked the town of Beu-Manyama in the Beni region on Sunday night, residents said. “Three soldiers were killed in the ADF incursion and two others wounded,” local leader Charles Endukadi told AFP, adding that several civilians were also injured. Local civil society leader Kinos Katuo put the provisional toll ...
- Somalia: State TV journalist killed while covering military operation on the outskirts of Mogadishu
September 30, 2022
Somali Journalists Syndicate (SJS) strongly condemns the bomb attack that targeted Somali National Television (SNTV) journalist, Ahmed Mohamed Shakur alongside security officials during a security operation in Basra town, about 30km north of Mogadishu on Friday 30 September, 2022. Ahmed Mohamed Shakur, 26, was killed after an improvised explosive device hit him while walking alongside the ...
- Somalia: One killed and six other wounded in suicide bombing in Mogadishu
September 25, 2022
One soldier was killed and at least six others were wounded in Somalia when a suicide bomber blew himself up at a military base near the capital, Mogadishu. The bomber disguised himself as a soldier and joined others as they filed into a military base early on Sunday before he detonated the explosive, said Captain Aden ...
- Nigeria: Army major killed, 2 captains in hospital
September 22, 2022
Owerri—Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodimma, yesterday, said a Major of the Nigeria Army has lost his life to illegally manufactured explosives by bandits, in Awo-Idemili in Orsu Local Government Area in the state, while two captains of the Nigeria Army are currently lying at the Intensive Care Unit, ICU, of the Federal Medical Centre, Owerri. Governor ...
- Federal Government of Somalia engages terrorists with support from U.S. forces
September 21, 2022
At the request of the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command conducted an airstrike against al-Shabaab terrorists who were attacking Somali National Army forces near Buulobarde, Somalia, on Sept. 18. The command’s initial assessment is that the strike killed 27 al-Shabaab terrorists and that no civilians were injured. U.S. forces are authorized to conduct strikes ...
- Kenya: Police detonate bomb in Mandera amid fears of more attacks
September 19, 2022
Security agencies operating near the Kenya- Somalia border at the weekend escaped an attack after stumbling on an explosive device set on the roadside. The improvised explosive device was ready to explode when they spotted it in Kulun, Mandera County. Police said the officers were headed towards Bulla Hawa border when they spotted newly disturbed soil on ...
- Nigeria: How Abia police arrested bullion van robbery suspects
September 19, 2022
The Abia Police Command has arrested 10 members of a dare-devil armed robbery gang that allegedly robbed a bullion van on July 26 and carted away about N390 million. The Commissioner of Police, Janet Agbede, said the suspects belonged to a 14-member gang that specialised in bullion van robbery in different parts of the country. She said ...
- Sudan: Three siblings killed, another injured in North Darfur UXO blast
September 18, 2022
Three siblings were killed in an explosion as a result of an unexploded ordnance (UXO), the fourth sibling was also injured in the explosion which occurred in Duram village in North Darfur, on Friday. Sources told Radio Dabanga that the four children who were tending their sheep, found a “strange object and began playing with it”, ...
- De-mining Angola – The Unseen Threat of Landmines Finally Removed
September 16, 2022
Stirring a renaissance in areas plagued by land mines from past conflicts, the NGO Mines Advisory Group, known as MAG, is an NGO committed to the removal of landmines in the Eastern Provinces of Angola. With the support of the Angolan government, this NGO has cleared more than 10 million square meters of minefields providing ...
- Al Shabaab drones, and the African conundrum
September 15, 2022
The proliferation of drone technology across Africa has significantly expanded humanitarian, and military operations, although, still an emerging technology in the continent, however, in the hands of non-state armed groups, they pose a significant threat. The combat drone was once the preserve of military superpowers but it’s now in use by insurgents and smaller nations ...
- Mali: Explosive devices kill 72 civilians since January
September 14, 2022
A total of 72 people were killed in Mali by explosive devices between January and August in 2022, said a report by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) released Monday in Bamako, capital of Mali. According to the United Nations Mine Action Service, cited in the report, 239 civilian victims, including ...
- Burkina Faso: Soldiers and ‘terrorists’ dead in Oudalan Province attack
September 13, 2022
Two soldiers died and a dozen “terrorists” were killed on Monday during an attack against a military detachment in Burkina Faso’s militant-hit north, the army said. The landlocked African state is in the grip of a seven-year-old insurgency that has claimed more than 2,000 lives and forced some 1.4 million people to leave their homes. The army ...

