In the first six months of this year, at least 18 people — 17 Bangladeshis and one Rohingya — were wounded in landmine explosions on the Myanmar side of the border. Two Rohingyas were killed and six others wounded last year, while five people were injured in 2023.
Human Rights Watch reported last November that the Myanmar military continues to deploy banned antipersonnel landmines across all 14 states and regions despite international prohibitions. Since the military coup in February, 2021, both the junta and non-state armed groups, such as the Arakan Army, reportedly increased the use of these mines, it said.
Read more…
Source: The Daily Star News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority launches information dissemination campaign in Preah Vihear
February 24, 2022
The Mine authority erected billboards to raise awareness of the dangers of mine and UXOs, which is part of the information campaign and part of efforts to keep injury and deaths caused by the war relics down. The installation took place on the afternoon of February 23 in Choam Ksan District, Preah Vihear according to the ...
- Cambodia sends 8th batch of peacekeepers to Central African Republic
February 20, 2022
Cambodia on Sunday dispatched the eighth batch of 219 peacekeepers, including 28 women, to join a United Nations peacekeeping operation in the Central African Republic (CAR). Speaking at the departure ceremony held at the Phnom Penh International Airport, Gen. Sem Sovanny, director-general of the National Center for Peacekeeping Forces, said the troops would substitute the seventh ...
- Cambodia: Deminers remove 50-year-old bomb in K Chhnang
February 18, 2022
CMAC deminers today removed an unexploded bomb, dropped by American warplanes during the civil war era, weighing more than 200 kilogrammes and which was buried underground for nearly 50 years in Kampong Chhnang province’s Kampong Tralach district. District police Deputy Chief Lieutenant Colonel Chuon Sitha told Khmer Times that at about 2pm yesterday, a construction worker, ...
- Cambodia: CMAC to train 34 new dogs to assist in demining efforts
February 15, 2022
The Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) welcomed the birth of 34 new puppies, who are the new generation of canines that will be used to assist the CMAC in its mission to make Cambodia mine-free. CMAC’s Director Heng Ratana announced the news of the birth of the puppies on his Facebook page on February 14. The ...
- Cambodia: Kep to become first Mine-free province this year
February 13, 2022
Kep will become the first Cambodian province without mine by this year, according to the provincial administration. A meeting on the preparation of an official ceremony to declare the province’s mine-free status was organised this week. Prum Sopheakmongkul, Secretary General of the Cambodian Mine Action Authority (CMAC) and Vao Sokha, Deputy Governor of Kep province co-chaired the ...
- Vietnam: Resuming Operations After Tet Holiday, RENEW/NPA Teams Safely Destroyed Dozens of Unexploded Ordnance
February 8, 2022
At a clearance site in Gio Hai Commune, Gio Linh District, RENEW/NPA clearance teams on Tuesday found 31 explosive items, including cluster munitions and other explosive ordnance, most of which was uncovered from a cache. The team later safely destroyed these explosive munitions on-site before their working day ended. This was the first task conducted by ...
- Cambodia seeks additional resources to support full demining by 2025
February 8, 2022
The request was made during the meeting between Senior Minister Ly Thuch, the first vice-president of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) and Juan Carlos Ruan, director of the ISU-APMBC, held at the CMAA office in Phnom Penh yesterday. It also comes at an appropriate time when the Kingdom prepares to celebrate its ...
- Thailand: Three injured including two bomb squad officers injured in Songkhla’s bomb blast
February 5, 2022
While investigating the scene in Songkhla’s Chana district where a fisherman lost his leg when he stepped on a bomb buried underground, two explosive ordnance disposal personnel at the investigation site sustained serious injuries when another bomb exploded. They were working near a railway bridge near Ban Na subdistrict under the surveillance of police and soldiers ...
- Cambodia: CMAC to restart shipwreck and UXO clearance in the Mekong River
February 2, 2022
A Cambodian Mine Action Center demining team will restart removing underwater UXOs and a shipwreck in the Mekong River in Prey Veng province’s Peam Ro district at the end of this month or next. Heng Ratana, CMAC director general said: “Our demining team will restart removing the pieces of shipwreck and UXOs from the riverbed as ...
- Cambodia, Norway renew mine clearance cooperation
February 2, 2022
Cambodia and Norway have reaffirmed mutual commitment for both bilateral and multilateral cooperation, especially on mine clearance sector. The commitment was renewed during a recent meeting between Director General of Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC), Heng Ratana, and Head of Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) in Cambodia, Rune Kristian Dale Anderson, at CMAC headquarters in Phnom Penh. The ...
- Myanmar: People Defence Forces used a drone to attack military in Shwebo, Sagaing Region
February 1, 2022
People Defence Forces used a drone to attack military in Shwebo, Sagaing Region on February 1. According to the reports a drone attack killed two military personnel and seriously injured another one. Read more… Source: ThitHtooLwin
- Bomb attacks hit southern Thailand
January 30, 2022
Bombers set off at least 13 blasts in a town in southern Thailand overnight, and police killed two suspected insurgents in a separate raid after a 20-hour siege in a nearby province, authorities said on Saturday. While officials did not link the two incidents directly, the violence came weeks after the government reopened a dialogue with ...
- Cambodia: Transport company foil attempt to send ‘home-made’ bomb via courier
January 26, 2022
In a bizarre case, it appears that an unidentified person who attempted to send a ‘homemade bomb’ from Pailin to Battambang via a Cambodian transport company has had his plot foiled by quick thinking staff. Staff at the Pailin branch of J&T had been contacted at 6.20pm on the 25th of January by an unknown man, ...
- Cambodia: Mekong UXO search off until waters recede in Kandal and Preveng provinces
January 24, 2022
Officials have requested modern technological equipment to enable them to continue their work of collecting unexploded ordnance (UXO) in sunken warships in the Mekong River in four areas of Kandal and Preveng provinces. Authorities have found many weapons and other UXOs in Lvea Em and Khsach Kandal districts of Kandal province and in Peam Chor and ...
- Cambodia: CMAC discusses training for deminers with Colombian Ambassador
January 23, 2022
Cambodia Mine Action Centre (CMAC) director-general Heng Ratana had a meeting with Colombian Ambassador Ana Maria Prieto Abad to discuss training demining experts on Friday at CMAC’s office. Ratana said that they discussed a number of remarkable efforts and commitments for both bilateral and multilateral cooperation. He added that through strengthening their cooperation, Cambodia and Colombia have ...

