Lancashire Constabulary investigation is continuing into the finding of two grenade-type devices in Preston. Police were called to Watling Street Road, Fulwood, at around 12.25pm yesterday (18th June) to a report that the devices had been found close to an address.
The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team were called, a cordon established, and 69 properties were evacuated. A successful controlled explosion of one of the devices was carried out by the EOD at the scene, with the other device removed to a second location and a further controlled explosion taking place there. One of the items was found to be a viable explosive device, the other was not a viable explosive device.
Read more…
Source: Lancashire Constabulary
Related:
- Northern Ireland: Bomb disposal robot on the scene of a security alert following an event with the Irish foreign minister
March 25, 2022
Irish foreign minister Simon Coveney was taken off stage by officials during a speech in Belfast. A security alert was called after a suspect device was found in the car park. A bomb disposal robot later arrived on the scene. https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1507386898733539336 Read more… Source: Sky News
- Ukrainian troops are ‘using Taliban-style roadside bombs’ to destroy Russian tanks
March 24, 2022
The success of Ukrainian forces in deploying improvised explosive devices (IEDs) similar to those seen in the Middle East follows extensive military programmes run by British and American troops to bolster Kyiv’s military capabilities Ukrainian troops are claimed to be making devastating use of roadside bombs similar to those deployed by insurgents against British and American ...
- Northern Ireland terrorism threat level lowered for first time in 12 years
March 22, 2022
The terrorism threat level in Northern Ireland has been lowered from “severe” to “substantial” for the first time in 12 years after what the government described as significant continuous progress with peace. The Northern Ireland secretary, Brandon Lewis, announced the decision after an assessment by M15. “This is the first time the threat level in Northern Ireland ...
- UK: Man who made explosive device in Blaenavon sent to hospital
March 21, 2022
A man who was found making an explosive device in Blaenavon has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act. Martin Johnson, 55, was arrested in April 2021 after the army’s bomb disposal unit were called to Trem-Y-Mynydd in Blaenavon. Johnson, of Nether Court in Greenmeadow, Cwmbran, appeared at Cardiff Crown Court on Friday after admitting making an ...
- UK: Grandad makes deadly bomb in his house for bank job because he was ‘short of cash’
March 19, 2022
A man made a bomb and told his daughter he wanted to use it to steal from a bank. Martin Johnson appeared at Cardiff Crown Court on Friday and admitted making an improvised explosive device (IED). The 55-year-old, of Greenmeadow in Cwmbran, showed the bomb to his granddaughter and it could have caused a death if ...
- Northern Ireland: Police release images of Derry pipe bombs and IED parts
March 15, 2022
The PSNI have released images of pipe bombs and IED parts recovered during an operation in Derry. Detectives from the Terrorism Investigation Unit provided an update following the security alert in the city’s Fahan Street area yesterday and today. Detective Chief Inspector Andrew Hamlin said: “Following a complex operation yesterday and today, we have removed component parts ...
- UK: Teenager arrested for posting DIY bomb-making guide video on social media
March 15, 2022
A 15-year-old boy accused of sharing bomb-making instructions on social media has appeared in court charged with terrorism offences. The youngster, who cannot be identified because of his age, is alleged to have twice posted the propaganda video made by the so-called Islamic State group, in chats on the Discord platform in February. It contains instructions on ...
- UK: ‘Friends of Ukraine EOD’ charity launched from Guernsey
March 14, 2022
‘Friends of Ukraine EOD’ is an undertaking, whereby likeminded people, including those with a background in Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA), Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD), and other Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) Risk Management join together to assist the ERW risk mitigation efforts on the ground inside Ukraine. Russian and Ukrainian forces are expending a great deal ...
- Northern Ireland: Arm na Poblachta claims explosive device aimed at PSNI car in Co Derry
March 12, 2022
Republican group Arm na Poblachta has claimed it targeted a PSNI car with an improvised explosive device in Co Derry. Using a recognised codeword, the group claimed there is a device at the junction of Feeny Road and Killunaght Road, near Dungiven, which was aimed at a police car. The PSNI last night said they were “conducting ...
- Northern Ireland: Detonated device discovered in attempted ATM theft on Belfast’s Ballysillan Road
March 1, 2022
A detonated device was recovered by police after an attempted ATM theft in north Belfast, which led to a “loud bang and small explosion” being heard by residents. It happened on the Ballysillan Road shortly after 1am outside Brian’s Convenience Store, where suspicious activity was reported to police. When police arrived, the suspect device had detonated close ...
- Birmingham terrorist Rashif Rauf named as mastermind of transatlantic plane liquid bomb plot
February 24, 2022
A Birmingham terrorist has been named as the mastermind behind a foiled plot to blow up planes heading from the UK to the USA. Rashid Rauf, originally from Alum Rock, was thought to have been killed in an American drone attack in Pakistan in 2008. But a new book claims the notorious Al-Qaida recruit survived after ...
- This new sensor can measure blast flow in any direction
February 21, 2022
Calculating the forces during an explosion is a difficult task – especially when it occurs inside a building as the directional sensors may not be correctly positioned to account for the various reflections that take place. This new sensor can measure blast flow in any direction, making it much easier to position and in turn ...
- Trigger Point ‘doesn’t tell full story’, says Met’s top bomb disposal expert
February 21, 2022
he UK’s top police bomb disposal expert says ITV’s Trigger Point is “a wonderful drama” but doesn’t tell the real story of his job. Matthew Middleditch MBE, Scotland Yard’s senior explosives officer, added he is thankful to Jed Mercurio’s six-part thriller starring Vicky McClure for throwing a spotlight on the counter-terrorism unit. Mr Middleditch’s team examined the ...
- UK: Neighbours tormented by racist thug who wanted to petrol bomb home
February 17, 2022
Hot-headed bully Simon Fullerton, 37, threatened to ‘slit the throats and cut the jugular’ of his neighbours as well as petrol bomb their home during a terrifying ‘ongoing feud’. An abusive and intimidating thug threatened to “slit the throats and cut the jugular” of his neighbours as well as petrol bomb their home during a terrifying ...
- Checks at UK airport over fears far-right extremists may travel to Ukraine
February 16, 2022
British authorities are worried that the current threat of a Russian invasion of Ukraine may attract far-right extremists from the UK, who could travel to the country seeking weapons training and military experience. Counter-terrorism police were positioned at the departure gates of at least one main British airport this week, where they quizzed travellers flying to ...
- Police Scotland welcomes sentencing of Nikolaos Karvounakis
February 16, 2022
Police Scotland has welcomed the sentencing of Nikolaos Karvounakis after he left an improvised explosive device (IED) in Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh in January 2018. Th 35-year-old was sentenced to eight years and four months at the High Court in Edinburgh today (Wednesday, 16 February, 2022). Detective Chief Superintendent Stuart Houston, Police Scotland’s Head of Counter Terrorism ...
- UK: MI5 had intelligence Manchester Arena bomber posed threat, inquiry told
February 15, 2022
MI5 had enough intelligence to regard Salman Abedi as a threat to national security and open an investigation before he bombed the Manchester Arena, killing 22 people and injuring hundreds of others, an inquiry has heard. The Security Service was “struggling to cope” with an increased workload, and the team responsible for the north-west of England ...
- UK: Two men arrested by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command
February 14, 2022
Officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command have arrested two men as part of a proactive investigation. A 30-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday, 8 February in east London on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism, under section 41 of the Terrorism Act (TACT) 2000. He was taken to ...
- UK: Hereford police station shut after hand grenade brought in
February 14, 2022
A police station was closed after a hand grenade was handed in by a member of the public. Bomb disposal experts were sent to the site in Hereford to assess the device and ensure its safe disposal, the West Mercia force said. The station was cordoned off for investigations, with police reassuring people there was not believed ...
- UK: Dstl ‘briefcase bomb’ donated to Royal Logistic Corps Museum
February 14, 2022
The dummy device, constructed by 2 Dstl apprentices, will support educational outreach activity at the recently-opened museum at Worthy Down near Winchester. The Royal Logistic Corps (RLC) incorporates the Army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal regiments whose bomb disposal experts are called upon to assist the police when suspected explosives are discovered, such as unexploded bombs dropped from ...
- UK: The ‘forgotten’ Coventry bombing that claimed five lives
February 12, 2022
On August 25 1939, a bomb tore through heart of Coventry city centre, leaving five dead and 70 injured. The bomb had been planted by the IRA, and exploded on a busy Friday afternoon, leaving shop fronts shattered and the area covered in debris. It has been labelled the ‘forgotten’ Coventry bomb, exploding just nine days before ...
- UK: Man arrested after bomb disposal squad called to residential street in Llanelli
February 10, 2022
A man has been arrested on suspicion of offences under The Explosive Substances Act after a bomb disposal team was called to a residential street in Llanelli. Police, fire, ambulance and bomb disposal experts were called to the scene on Alban Road, between James Street and Glanella Road, on Thursday (February 10). Dyfed Powys Police said a ...

