Libya: 2023 UN report documents 17 lives, mainly children, lost to explosive hazards


A group of 17 individuals, including 14 children, lost their lives due to incidents involving explosive devices in Libya last year, according to a UN Mine Action Service report.

The report, released on Sunday, documented 193 incidents resulting from explosive devices over the past three years, resulting in the deaths of 147 individuals and injuring 243 others. It also noted the “clearance of approximately 1.4 million square meters of affected areas, including schools, power stations, and residential areas in Tripoli.”

Read more…
Source: Libya Observer


Sign up for our Newsletter


Related:

  • Libyan Police Officers Complete UNMAS Training in Ukraine

    May 18, 2019

    The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), with the generous support of the Government of Canada, successfully concluded a three-week training course on Device Scene Incident Management (DSIM) for Libyan Forensic Police Officers from the Libyan Ministry of Interior’s Criminal Investigation Agency. The contribution from Canada also helped UNMAS equip the four trained teams with four sets of specialized ...

  • United Nations in Libya Marks the “International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action”

    April 8, 2019

    The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) co-organized a reception on 28 March in partnership with the Canadian and British Embassies to Libya to celebrate the “International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action”. Under the theme, “United Nations Promotes SDGs- Safe Ground- Safe Home”, the event was hosted at the Canadian Embassy in ...

  • Britain to provide Libya with explosive detection equipment

    January 23, 2019

    Britain has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on Wednesday to provide explosive detection equipment to Libya’s Mitiga International Airport. British ambassador to Libya Frank Baker, and the Head of the Libyan Airports Department, Mohamed Bait al-Mal, signed the MoU, said a statement issued by the Libyan airports authority. “The signed MoU aims to establish joint cooperation ...

  • Death toll of Tripoli electoral commission attack hits 16, ISIS claims responsibility

    May 2, 2018

    16 people were killed and at least 19 others were injured in an attack on the Tripoli-based High National Elections Commission (HNEC) in Ghout Al-Shaal on Wednesday morning. IS (also known as ISIS) terrorists claimed responsibility for the attack on their media platform “Wilayat Trabulus”. The Director Manager of the HNEC, Saad Al-Gadibi, said the gunmen stormed into the ...

  • UN delivers Explosive Ordnance Disposal equipment to support Libyan authorities in dealing with explosive hazards

    April 24, 2018

    Explosive remnants of war lead to devastating humanitarian consequences, causing injury, death and massive displacement of civilians across Libya. With limited resources, Libyan Security Institutions such as the National Safety Authority and Military Engineers carry out the critical and risky clearance work to reduce the impact of explosive remnants of war on civilians’ lives. In a ...

  • VBIED attack targets the LNA’s chief of staff commander in Libya’s Cyreneica

    April 20, 2018

    VBIED attack targets the LNA’s chief of staff commander in Libya’s Cyreneica IHS Jane’s Terrorism Watch Report – Daily Update 20 April 2018 Unidentified militants detonated a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED) targeting the convoy of General Abdel-Razeq Nathouri – the chief of staff of Libyan National Army (LNA) commander General Khalifa Haftar – convoy between ...

  • UNMAS eliminates 150 tons of explosive remnants of war in Libya

    March 24, 2018

    The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said it had destroyed 150 tons of explosive remnants of war in Libya, adding that 8 EOD operations had been carried out to clear these remnants on 6550 square meters of land that could possibly contain mines and explosives. The UNMAS confirmed it will continue coordination to the international ...

  • 50 Libyan explosive ordinance disposal personnel reach their graduation

    March 3, 2018

    The US Embassy in Libya has announced the graduation of more than 50 Libyan explosive ordnance disposal personnel. The Embassy said in a statement on Thursday that the graduation comes as part of a training program with the support of the US, British and German governments to safely dispose of explosive hazards, including Improvised Explosive Devices ...

  • UN To Reopen Office In Libya’s Benghazi

    March 3, 2018

    The head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) announced Friday that the mission will reopen an office in the eastern city of Benghazi for the first time in years. “We are preparing to reopen a UN office in Benghazi and I promise you to continue to engage with people and residents of Barqa” in ...

  • Explosion kills 3 of Haftar’s forces in central Libya

    February 22, 2018

    Three soldiers, loyal to the East Libya-based military commander Khalifa Haftar, were killed yesterday in a car bomb in the central city of Al-Jufra. Fouad Al-Mahdi Rashid, a member of the Al-Jufra Municipal Council, told the Anadolu Agency that another soldier was injured in the blast, which he said had targeted a security checkpoint in the town of Waddan. Read more… Source: ...

  • Libya steps up security measures against terror attacks in Benghazi

    February 12, 2018

    Libya’s eastern-based government said Sunday that it adopted a package of security measures to counter terrorist threats in the eastern city of Benghazi. The interim government said in a statement that the cabinet and security leaders of Benghazi had tightened security measures to prevent terrorist threats in the city after an emergency meeting held with Prime ...

  • IED blast rips through Benghazi mosque

    February 9, 2018

    An improvised explosive device went off at Saad Ben Obadah mosque in Majouri neighborhood of Benghazi during Friday prayer leaving 1 person dead and more than 84 others wounded, according to medical sources. Eyewitnesses said the blast caused extensive damage to the mosque as well. Read more… Source: The Libya Observer  

  • 200 Tonnes Of Explosives Destroyed In Libya

    February 5, 2018

    Libya destroyed more than 200 tonnes of remnants of war with the support of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS), the support mission said. “At the end of January, UNMAS completed phase one of its initiative to destroy Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) which have been endangering the lives of Misratan communities, and of the wider ...

  • Sharp rise in civilian casualties across Libya in January: UNSMIL report

    February 2, 2018

    The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said from 1 January to 31 January 2018, it had documented 102 civilian casualties – 39 deaths and 63 injuries – during the conduct of hostilities across Libya. This, it reported, was a sharp rise from previous months. Victims included 33 men, one woman, and five boys ...

  • EU commends destruction of Libya’s chemical weapons stockpile

    January 17, 2018

    The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and the European External Action Service (EEAS) has assessed the complete elimination of Category-2 chemical materials from Libya and transported to Germany for their destruction as “a positive step towards the complete and permanent eradication of all chemical weapons in the country”. According to an EU Foreign ...

  • Explosion at major oil pipeline in Libya – sources

    December 26, 2017

    An explosion has rocked a crude oil pipeline that feeds the Es Sider sea terminal in Libya, an oil source in the country said. The Mediterranean port of Es Sider, also spelled as Sidr and Sidra, features the largest oil depot in Libya. The blast occurred near Marada, on the pipeline belonging to the Waha oil ...

  • Casualties Surge From Land Mines and Improvised Explosives

    December 14, 2017

    Casualties from land mines and similar booby-trap explosives increased for the second consecutive year in 2016, to the highest level since a treaty banning such weapons of war took effect in 1999, a monitoring group said Thursday. The group, the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, attributed the increased casualties largely to armed conflicts in Afghanistan, Libya, Ukraine and ...

  • UN enhances capacity of Libyan Security institutions to deal with the threats of explosive hazards

    December 7, 2017

    The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) has successfully completed the delivery of a two-week training course on Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) for 16 Libyan National Safety Authority (NSA) and Military Engineers from Tripoli and Benghazi. The two-week training of trainers training aimed to strengthen the capacity of the Libyan authorities to carry out Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) more safely ...

  • UK provides $4 million de-mining kit for Sirte

    November 2, 2017

    The UK has supplied $4 million of explosives-handling equipment for use in Sirte and by the US firm that has been engaged to help clear unexploded ordnance from the town. British ambassador Peter Millet said:“This equipment is a tangible sign of the UK’s commitment to helping the people of Sirte, Benghazi, and other areas rebuild their ...