A suicide bombing claimed by the Islamic State has killed four Americans in north-eastern Syria, just weeks after Donald Trump said the terrorist group had been defeated and announced he was withdrawing American forces.
The bomber struck on Wednesday inside a restaurant in the town of Manbij, where US troops had regularly gathered. As many as 16 people were killed in the attack, the most deadly to target American forces during their four year presence in Syria.
US Central Command confirmed that two US soldiers, a defence department civilian official and a defence department contractor were killed. A CentCom statement said three soldiers were injured.
Read more…
Source: The Guardian
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Pakistan: Suicide bomb attack on Chinese shipyard workers foiled by police in Karachi
May 15, 2023
A suspected suicide bomb attack on Chinese shipyard workers in Pakistan has been foiled by police. The PTI news agency cited police officers as saying the attacker was killed by security forces on Wednesday following an intelligence tip-off. An attack was reportedly being planned at a shipyard in Karachi’s Port Qasim. Read more… Source: TradeWinds
- Nigeria: Suicide bomber bombs self in Kaduna
May 15, 2023
A suspected member of Boko Haram on Monday morning was reported to have blown himself off with an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) to avoid being arrested by security operatives. The Nation gathered the incident occurred at Ibrahim Haske Road in the Keke community of New Millennium City, Chikun local government area of Kaduna State. Read more… Source: The ...
- DEVCOM CBC Team Supports Data Collection Event in Alaska
May 10, 2023
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD – The U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command Chemical Biological Center (DEVCOM CBC) participated in an Army-sponsored data collection event at the Cold Regions Test Center (CRTC) in Fort Greely, Alaska as part of its work for person borne improvised explosive devices (PBIED). The event was produced and funded by the Army ...
- Syria: Police officer killed in IS-claimed car bombing in Damascus
May 10, 2023
A Syrian police officer was killed and four others were wounded on Wednesday in a car bomb attack that was claimed by the Islamic State group. The Syrian interior ministry said a vehicle exploded at the Barzeh police station in Damascus, killing a lieutenant colonel and wounding four others. Read more… Source: VOA News
- Türkiye neutralizes Daesh/ISIS leader al-Qurayshi in northern Syria
May 1, 2023
Türkiye neutralized al-Qurayshi, the so-called leader of Daesh/ISIS terrorist organization, during an operation in Syria on Saturday, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced. “The National Intelligence Organization (MIT) had been following the so-called leader of Daesh, code-named Abu Hussein al-Qurayshi, for a long time. Read more… Source: Anadolu News Agency Related story: So-called Daesh/ISIS leader commits suicide just before captured ...
- Syria: Landmine Explosion Kills 3 Children in al-Hasakah Governorate
April 25, 2023
Three children were killed and two others have been injured when a landmine, reportedly planted by the US occupation forces, exploded in Tal Tamer town in northern Syria. The incident occurred in the vicinity of the US base in Qasrak area, north of Hasaka city. According to local sources, the landmine was planted by the US ...
- Syria: IS land mine kills at least 6 civilians in Deir Ez-Zor province
April 10, 2023
A deadly land mine explosion in Syria killed at least six people on Sunday, according to state media. News agency SANA said the explosion hit civilians who were foraging for truffles in the countryside, and blamed the incident on a land mine planted by the Islamic State group in the southern Deir Ez-Zor province. The area ...
- Syria: Roadside bomb hits bus in Deraa, wounding 16
April 3, 2023
Sixteen people were wounded in a roadside bomb attack in Deraa governorate, Syrian state media reported on Monday. The attack reportedly occurred on a bridge at the Nasib border crossing with Jordan and was carried out against customs officials. Read more… Source: The National News
- Syria: An explosive device blast in Mezzeh area in Damascus, no casualties reported
April 3, 2023
Damascus, SANA- An explosive device went off on Sunday evening in a civilian car in Mezzeh area in Damascus, without causing any casualties. A source at Damascus Police Command told SANA that an explosive device went off in a civilian car in the eastern Mezzeh area, which led to its burning and the fire spreading to ...
- Afghanistan: Blast near foreign ministry in Kabul kills at least two
March 27, 2023
At least two people were killed and 12 injured in a blast near Afghanistan’s ministry of foreign affairs, according to a hospital run by an Italian NGO in capital Kabul. “We received some patients,” said Stefano Sozza of Italian NGO Emergency on Monday. Read more… Source: Al Jazeera Related story: Blast Happens Near Foreign Ministry in Kabul
- Afghanistan: Taliban governor of Balkh province killed in blast
March 9, 2023
The Taliban governor of Afghanistan’s Balkh province has been killed inside his office in a suicide attack that was later claimed by the ISIL armed group. The killing of Mohammad Dawood Muzammil, the provincial governor, on Thursday marked one of the highest-level attacks since the Taliban stormed back to power in 2021. A second person also ...
- Pakistan: Eight policemen, one civilian killed in suicide attack on Balochistan Constabulary van in Bolan
March 6, 2023
Nine individuals, including eight policemen and one civilian, were martyred in a suicide attack on a Balochistan Constabulary van in the Dhadar tehsil of the Kacchi district in Bolan on Monday. According to Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah, the blast occurred at 10am on the Kambri bridge in the area bordering the Sibi and Kachhi districts Read more… Source: ...
- Manchester Arena attack: Security services might have prevented Manchester Arena bombing
March 2, 2023
The security services were guilty of “a significant missed opportunity to take action that might have prevented” the Manchester Arena bombing, according to the chairman of the inquiry into the atrocity. A report published by former high court judge Sir John Saunders, the third and final from his inquiry, looked at whether MI5 and counter-terror police ...
- The Jordanian Army shoots down an explosive-laden drone coming from Syria
February 26, 2023
The Jordanian army announced in a statement that the Border Guard forces shot down yesterday a drone coming from Syria that tried to cross the kingdom’s borders while it was carrying hand grenades and a rifle. The statement quoted an official military source in the General Command of the Armed Forces as saying, “The Border Guard ...
- Turkish intelligence ‘neutralizes’ mastermind of last year’s Istanbul bombing
February 24, 2023
Türkiye’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) on Wednesday “neutralized” Halil Menci, a PKK/YPG terrorist who played a key role in the planning and implementation of the last year bombing in Istanbul, security sources said on Friday. Menci, who directed the perpetrators of the Istanbul bomb attack, Ahlam Albashir and Bilal Hassan, and enabled Hassan to escape abroad, ...
