Four Americans killed in Syria blast claimed by Isis


A suicide bombing claimed by the Islamic State has killed four Americans in north-eastern Syria, just weeks after Donald Trump said the terrorist group had been defeated and announced he was withdrawing American forces.

The bomber struck on Wednesday inside a restaurant in the town of Manbij, where US troops had regularly gathered. As many as 16 people were killed in the attack, the most deadly to target American forces during their four year presence in Syria.

US Central Command confirmed that two US soldiers, a defence department civilian official and a defence department contractor were killed. A CentCom statement said three soldiers were injured.

Read more…
Source: The Guardian


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Syria: U.S.-led coalition blocks drone attacks targeting Conoco oil field

    February 10, 2024

    Air defense systems operated by U.S.-led coalition troops based in eastern Syria halted six drone attacks targeting their base at the Conoco oil field on Saturday, a security source said. The source did not tell Reuters if there were any casualties from the attacks. Coalition troops and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), who together fight ...

  • Syria: Several drones target US military base at Al-Omar oilfield in Deir ez-Zor province

    February 8, 2024

    A US military base came under a drone attack by Iran-backed groups in Deir ez-Zor province in eastern Syria, according to local sources on Thursday. Multiple kamikaze drones were fired at the military base at Al-Omar oilfield, where US forces are stationed, by Iranian-linked groups stationed on the western bank of the Euphrates River, the sources ...

  • Syria: Drone attack kills six Kurdish-led fighters at the al-Omar oil field

    February 5, 2024

    A drone attack on the largest US military base in Syria has killed at least six allied Kurdish-led fighters. The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said its commando academy at the al-Omar oil field in the eastern province of Deir al-Zour was hit in the early hours of Monday. It accused Iran-backed militias of launching the drone ...

  • U.S. Central Command Statement on U.S. Strikes in Iraq and Syria

    February 2, 2024

    TAMPA, Fla. – At 4:00 p.m. (EST) Feb. 02, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) forces conducted airstrikes in Iraq and Syria against Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force and affiliated militia groups. U.S. military forces struck more than 85 targets, with numerous aircraft to include long-range bombers flown from United States. The airstrikes employed more ...

  • Kataib Hezbollah announces halt of attacks on US forces

    January 31, 2024

    Iran-backed Kataib Hezbollah has announced the suspension of hostile operations against US troops as Washington ponders its response to a deadly drone attack that killed three of its soldiers. The group’s attempt to de-escalate late on Tuesday, which it said was motivated by a desire not to “embarrass” the Iraqi government, was met with some scepticism ...

  • The drone wars of Iran’s militias are becoming more deadly

    January 29, 2024

    Iran has been increasingly exporting drones to its proxies throughout the Middle East over the last decade. The drones, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) increasingly play a role in Iran’s policies and the attacks by Iran’s proxies. Several years ago the drone threat may not have been seen as a major issue. Today it is taken seriously ...

  • Jordan: Three US troops killed and at least two dozen injured in drone attack on US outpost near Syrian border

    January 28, 2024

    Three US Army soldiers were killed and at least two dozen service members were injured in a drone attack overnight on a small US outpost in Jordan, US officials told CNN, marking the first time US troops have been killed by enemy fire in the Middle East since the beginning of the Gaza war. The killing ...

  • Somalia: Heavy fighting as security forces battle al-Shabab attack

    January 24, 2024

    Heavy fighting is underway in central Somalia after al-Shabab militants attacked military bases in Mudug region. Eyewitnesses have told the BBC they heard heavy gunfire and explosions at dawn on Wednesday. The attack reportedly began with a suicide bombing, targeting government special forces. Galmudug Security Minister Mohamed Abdi Aden told the BBC that troops are still ...

  • Syria: Several explosive devices dismantled in Daraa countryside

    January 23, 2024

    Units of Syrian Arab Army in Daraa countryside dismantled several explosive devices on the side of the road in the towns of Busra al-Harir in the northeastern countryside of the province, while a border guard unit was also able to shoot down a drone near the Syrian-Jordanian border. “Members of the engineering units of our armed ...

  • Somalia: Suicide bombing kills three people, injures two in Mogadishu

    January 16, 2024

    A suicide bombing in Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu, has killed three people and injured two others, according to the authorities. Al-Qaeda-affiliated armed group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack. The suicide bomber, who was being pursued by police, blew himself up outside an Indian restaurant in Mogadishu’s Hamar Weyne district, police spokesperson Sadik Ali said on Tuesday. ...

  • Syria: An ISIS terrorist wearing explosive belt eliminated in Daraa

    January 16, 2024

    Component authorities in Daraa managed to kill one of ISIS terrorists wearing a suicide belt before blowing himself up among a patrol member, east the city. In addition, an IED was founded in the al-Kashef neighborhood, with it been detonated by engineering unit. Read more… Source: SANA News  

  • Iran identifies suspected bomb-maker behind twin blasts, arrests 35 people

    January 11, 2024

    Iranian authorities say they have identified the alleged ringleader who made bombs used in the twin bombings on January 3 in the southeastern city of Kerman that killed more than 90 people, state media reported. On Thursday, the Ministry of Intelligence said the main suspect who planned the bombings was a Tajik national known by his ...

  • Syria: Eight SAA soldiers and one civilian killed, 13 others injured in a terrorist attack in Palmyra

    January 9, 2024

    Eight soldiers were martyred Tuesday while 13 others were injured in a terrorist attack on a bus south of Palmyra in Homs eastern countryside. “Eight soldiers and one civilian were killed, 13 others were wounded in a terrorist attack with an explosive device on a military bus in Syrian al-Badyiah to the south of Palmyra,” Read more… Source: ...

  • Argentina arrests three from Lebanon, Syria in Maccabi Games terror plot

    January 3, 2024

    Police in Argentina have arrested three people for suspicion of planning a terrorist attack at the Pan American Maccabi Games in Buenos Aires, according to police reports from Argentina. The Argentine Federal Police (PFA) arrested three men from Syria and Lebanon, in Buenos Aires and the metropolitan area town of Avellaneda. Read more… Source: MSN News  

  • Pakistan: Suicide bomber among 4 terrorists killed by security forces in North Waziristan

    January 2, 2024

    Security forces on Tuesday killed four terrorists including a suicide bomber during an intelligence-based operation (IBO) in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa North Waziristan district, the military said. According to Inter-Services Public Relations, the military’s media wing, the operation was conducted on the reported presence of terrorists, adding that they remained involved in numerous terrorist activities against the security forces. ...