Four Americans killed in Syria blast claimed by Isis


A suicide bombing claimed by the Islamic State has killed four Americans in north-eastern Syria, just weeks after Donald Trump said the terrorist group had been defeated and announced he was withdrawing American forces.

The bomber struck on Wednesday inside a restaurant in the town of Manbij, where US troops had regularly gathered. As many as 16 people were killed in the attack, the most deadly to target American forces during their four year presence in Syria.

US Central Command confirmed that two US soldiers, a defence department civilian official and a defence department contractor were killed. A CentCom statement said three soldiers were injured.

Read more…
Source: The Guardian


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • US military’s additional review into deadly Kabul airport attack concludes troops did not see bomber ahead of attack

    April 15, 2024

    An additional review by the US military into the deadly Abbey Gate bombing during the Afghanistan withdrawal in 2021, which aimed to clear up outstanding questions about the attack, has concluded that service members had not previously seen the suspected bomber ahead of the attack, but believed they had because of conflated intelligence reporting. “Over the ...

  • Syria: Three citizens injured in landmine blast left behind by terrorists in Hama

    April 12, 2024

    Three citizens were martyred, another got injured in landmine blast left behind by terrorists in Hama northern countryside. A source at Hama Police Command told SANA reporter that a landmine, left behind by terrorists, went off in al-Zoughbeh village while the farmers were working on their farmlands Read more… Source: SANA News Sign up for our Newsletter Related:  

  • Syria: 7 children killed in explosive device blast in Daraa countryside

    April 6, 2024

    Seven children were martyred and two civilians were injured, including a woman, when an explosive device planted by terrorists exploded in the southern neighborhood of Al-Sanamayn city in the northern countryside of Daraa. A source in the Daraa Police Command stated that seven children, four of them brothers, were martyred in the explosion. Read more… Source: SANA news  

  • Syria: Director of Military Construction Establishment in Hama killed in explosive device blast

    April 3, 2024

    Director of the Military Construction Establishment branch in Hama Province, Engineer Basil Abdel Qader, was martyred in a terrorist attack that targeted his car with an explosive device in front of his house in al-Qusour neighborhood in the city of Hama. Hama Police Command told SANA that an explosive device placed by unknown persons in the ...

  • Syria: Car bomb kills 4, injures 20 in Azaz

    March 31, 2024

    At least four people were killed and 20 injured late Saturday in a car bomb attack that rocked a bustling market in Syria’s northern city of Azaz, according to local sources. The attack in the heart of Azaz’s vibrant marketplace was in an area controlled by opposition forces. Initial assessments are treating the explosion as a ...

  • Syria: One killed, two others injured in IED explosion in Damascus countryside

    March 28, 2024

    On Thursday, media sources revealed that one person was killed and two others were injured when an explosive device exploded in a car belonging to an officer in the Damascus government forces in the town of Jdeidet Artouz al-Balad in the Damascus countryside. According to what the town’s mayor said, an officer with the rank of ...

  • Pakistan: Five Chinese nationals and Pakistani driver killed in SVBIED attack in Bisham

    March 26, 2024

    China has demanded a “thorough investigation” after five of its nationals and one Pakistani were killed in an attack on a convoy in Bisham tehsil of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Shangla, according to the regional police chief and a station house officer (SHO). Reuters quoted Mohammad Ali Gandapur, the regional police chief, as saying that a suicide bomber ...

  • Niger: At least 23 soldiers killed in ambush in Tillaberi region

    March 22, 2024

    Militants killed at least 23 Nigerien soldiers and wounded 17 more during an attack on a military unit in Tillaberi region, the northwestern corner of the country on Wednesday, the defence ministry said. More than 100 armed men on motorbikes and in vehicles used improvised explosive devices and suicide bombs to ambush the military unit. Read more… Source: ...

  • Afghanistan: Suicide Attack Kills Three, Injures 12 in Kandahar

    March 21, 2024

    Asadullah Jamshed, spokesperson for the police command of Kandahar province, reported to TOLOnews that a suicide attack near a bank resulted in the death of three civilians and injured 12 others. The incident occurred on Thursday morning. Read more… Source: TOLO News  

  • Nigeria: Suicide bomber detonates bomb in Borno, injures two

    March 18, 2024

    Two people have sustained varying injuries after a suspected suicide bomber detonated an improvised explosive device strapped to his body near a mosque in Biu Local Government of Borno State. The state Public Relations Officer, ASP Daso Nahum, said “The male suicide bomber, who was suspected to be heading to the mosque, detonated the Improvised Explosive Device ...

  • Pakistan: Attack on military post in North Waziristan kills 5 security officers

    March 16, 2024

    Militants attacked a military post in Pakistan near Afghanistan on Saturday morning using a vehicle laden with explosives, killing five security force members, Pakistan’s military said. The incident in northwest Pakistan was carried out by six attackers, the military’s media wing said in a statement, without naming the militant group responsible for the attack. Read more… Source: MSN ...

  • Israel: Attack in Tel Aviv foiled, terrorist carried device with 20 kg of explosives

    March 13, 2024

    Soldiers from the Duvdevan Unit, following intelligence provide by the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet), on Monday foiled a suicide attack in central Tel Aviv, on the first day of the month of Ramadan. Kan 11 News on Tuesday evening revealed that the terrorist, Muhammad Jaber from Jenin, together with an accomplice, left the Palestinian Arab ...

  • Syria: 14 citizens killed in landmine explosion in Raqqa

    February 25, 2024

    14 citizens were martyred and 8 others were injured as a result of the explosion of a landmine left by ISIS terrorists in the Raqqa desert, while they were collecting truffle mushrooms. The Governor of Raqqa, Abdul Razzaq Khalifa, said in a statement “While some residents were collecting truffle mushrooms in the Raqqa desert, a landmine ...

  • Syria: Seven terrorist drones shot down in Hama and Idleb countryside

    February 25, 2024

    Ministry of Defense has announced that seven terrorist drones were shot down and destroyed in Hama and Idleb countryside. The ministry said in a statement on its Facebook page: “Our forces operating in the direction of Hama and Idleb countryside managed to shoot down and destroy seven terrorist drones that attempted to attack our military points. Read ...

  • Syria: Five killed in landmine explosion in Hama countryside

    February 24, 2024

    Five citizens were martyred Saturday in the explosion of a land mine left behind by the terrorist organization (Daesh) in the vicinity of Tal Salamah in Hama countryside. A local source told SANA reporter that citizens were searching for truffle mushrooms in the eastern countryside of Salamiyah, and a landmine exploded on them, causing of their ...