Europol together with Dutch and German law enforcement authorities have taken decisive action against a Netherlands-based criminal group believed to be specialised in ATM robberies using explosives.
18 members of the highly specialised criminal group were arrested over a series of action days. The Dutch nationals allegedly had extensive experience in blowing up cash machines with solid explosives, causing at least EUR 1.5 million in damages and looted at least EUR 1.2 million, of which around EUR 290 000 could be seized so far. In total, EUR 360 000 in cash and over EUR 600 000 in cryptocurrencies were seized, along with gear and vehicles used for robberies. Investigators could link ATM attacks or related activities in Germany, Switzerland and France to this group.
Read more…
Source: Europol
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletter
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Ohio: Toledo Man Sentenced for Illegal Possession of Firearms and Improvised Explosive Device
November 23, 2021
U.S. Attorney Bridget M. Brennan announced that Jeffrey Davenport, 52, of Toledo, was sentenced on Monday, November 22, by Judge Jack Zouhary to 54 months in prison after Davenport pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm and possession of an unregistered destructive device. As set out in court documents, on July 1, ...
- Israel’s Shin Bet Arrests 50 Members of Hamas Cell Planning Attacks
November 22, 2021
Israeli security forces arrested dozens of members of a Hamas cell that was in the advanced stages of planning major terror attacks in the West Bank and Israel, the Shin Bet security service said Monday. The effort to uncover the cell has been ongoing for several months, first coming to light with a round of arrest ...
- UK: Liverpool attacker had been buying bomb parts ‘at least since April’
November 18, 2021
The Liverpool bomber had been buying bomb components since at least April, police have revealed. Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson said that Iraq-born Emad Al Swealmeen had rented a property in Liverpool seven months ago and had started making “relevant purchases” for his homemade bomb “at least” since that time. On Wednesday afternoon, a Royal Logistics Corp ...
- UK: Wrexham vaccine plant Fake bomb ‘had defendant’s address inside’
November 15, 2021
A suspicious parcel contained the name and address of a man accused of causing a bomb scare at a Covid vaccine factory, a court has heard. Production was halted at the AstraZeneca plant in Wrexham in January, and the building was evacuated after the parcel was found. A garden glove was also found inside the detonated parcel, ...
- UK terror threat level raised to ‘severe’ following hospital blast – attack now ‘highly likely’
November 15, 2021
The UK’s terror threat level has been raised from “substantial” to “severe”, meaning an attack is now judged to be “highly likely”. The move, confirmed by Home Secretary Priti Patel, follows an explosion outside a hospital in Liverpool on Sunday which police have declared a terror incident. Detectives have arrested four people over the blast, which killed ...
- UK: Liverpool Women’s Hospital explosion declared a terror incident
November 15, 2021
An explosion outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital on Remembrance Sunday has been declared a terror incident by police. A taxi exploded and was engulfed in flames just before 11:00 GMT at a drop-off zone near the entrance, killing the passenger and injuring the driver. The cabbie, named locally as David Perry, was declared a hero by Liverpool Mayor ...
- UK: One dead in car explosion outside a hospital in Liverpool
November 14, 2021
One person has died and another has been injured in a car explosion and fire outside a hospital in Liverpool. Merseyside Police said there were reports of an explosion after a taxi pulled up at Liverpool Women’s Hospital just before 11:00 GMT. A spokeswoman said it “has not been declared a terrorist incident” but counterterrorism detectives were ...
- UK: Church Laneham man jailed after homemade pipe bomb explodes
November 12, 2021
A man who made a pipe bomb that caused a residential street to be evacuated has been jailed for two years. Nottinghamshire Police said a man found the device in a ditch on Riverview in Church Laneham on 28 February. Officers searching the home of Christopher Barber also found live ammunition and a booby trap security device ...
- British Columbia: Powell River RCMP block off portion of Marine Avenue; detonate suspicious object
November 12, 2021
Early in the afternoon on November 12, police were alerted to a possible improvised explosive device (IED) on the sidewalk on Marine Avenue between Duncan and Courtenay street. “In consultation with our explosive disposal unit (EDU), officers evacuated the block and awaited their attendance,” stated Powell River RCMP detachment commander staff sergeant Rod Wiebe in a ...
- Northern Ireland: Lurgan man admitted to making ‘blast-incendiary improvised’ bomb
November 12, 2021
A Co. Armagh man has admitted making a “blast-incendiary improvised” bomb. With Sean Fintan Burns standing in the dock of Craigavon Crown Court on Thursday, defence counsel Damien Halleron asked for him to be re-arraigned on three of the four charges against the 34-year-old. Burns, from Woodville Street in Lurgan, making a blast incendiary-type improvised explosive device ...
- Nevada: New Tahoe-Douglas bomb squad member follows his nose
November 12, 2021
While the new member of the Tahoe-Douglas bomb squad comes with four legs and a tail, it’s what’s on the pointy end that makes him a critical member of the team. On Friday, Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District announced that Tracker, a Hungarian vizsla, is the new K-9 with the Tahoe Douglas Explosive Ordinance Disposal team. Described ...
- Northern Ireland: Police arrest four people after bus was hijacked and set on fire in County Down
November 12, 2021
Police in Northern Ireland have arrested four people nearly two weeks after a bus was hijacked and set on fire in County Down. The force has said it believes the arson was carried out by loyalists from a local faction of the of the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) paramilitary group. Two masked and armed men boarded the ...
- Washington: Homemade explosive laboratory, underground bunker found at Arlington man’s home
November 10, 2021
An Arlington man already booked into jail is facing more charges after bomb squad technicians found a homemade explosive laboratory and underground bunker at his home. Deputies with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office responded to a home in the 19300 block of Burn Road for reports of a shooting. A 42-year-old Arlington man was inside his ...
- Florida: Deputies find stolen Army explosives in Nokomis home
November 10, 2021
A Nokomis man is facing a slew of charges after deputies found him in possession with stolen explosives from the U.S. Army. A bomb technician with the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office testified that officers were called to a home on Mount Pleasant Road in Nokomis to serve a court order for temporary detention for mental health ...
- Iowa man had multiple explosive devices, firearms and drugs
November 9, 2021
An Iowa City man is facing multiple charges after authorities connected him to multiple firearms and shooting-related incidents in Iowa City and Coralville. KCRG reports Demtrick Byars, 19, admitted to being in possession of a rifle during the interview and said he believed it was stolen. Investigators said they found multiple firearms, two homemade explosive devices, drug ...
- India: Over 250 Kg Explosives Found In Manipur’s Border Town Near Myanmar
November 8, 2021
Explosives of over 250 kg have been recovered from an area along the border with Myanmar in Manipur, a border state where assembly election will be held next year, raising security concerns. Troops of the Assam Rifles recovered 243 improvised explosive devices or IEDs at Moreh, a border trading town in Manipur that also serves as ...
- Uganda: Prime suspect in Mpigi Bus explosion arrested – police
November 8, 2021
The joint Anti-Terrorism taskforce and the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence on Sunday arrested Yusuf Muwonge, a prime suspect in an explosion that rocked Swift bus in Lungala, Mpigi District last month killing one suspected suicide bomber on the spot. Muwonge, according to police had been on security’s wanted list for allegedly taking part in assembling the ...
- Texas man shared tips on making bombs – with undercover FBI agents
November 5, 2021
An East Texas 20-year-old has pleaded guilty to providing detailed bombing instructions over the internet. The man allegedly wanted to target federal law enforcement agents with these potential bombs and was providing instructions online to undercover FBI agents, according to a news release by the Department of Justice. Beau Daniel Merryman pleaded guilty to the distribution ...
- Washington: Lacey police investigating homemade bomb found in woods
November 4, 2021
Detectives with the Lacey Police Department and Washington State Patrol are investigating a homemade explosive device that had partially detonated in the woods near the 4800 block of Yelm Highway. Police were dispatched at around 1 p.m. Wednesday to the wooded area on reports of an explosion, according to a news release. There were no ...
- UK: Man admits stockpiling bomb-making materials after he burnt himself in an explosion
November 3, 2021
A man is facing a possible life sentence after admitting possessing explosive substances. Michael Pym-Nixson came to the attention of police after paramedics visited his flat in Kingston Upon Thames, south-west London, and treated his hand for burn injuries on the night of March 19. After raiding the 54-year-old’s home, counter-terrorism officers discovered black powder and other ...
- Nigeria: Explosives recovered from suspected ESN militants in Anambra
November 1, 2021
The Anambra police command says locally-made improvised explosive devices (IED) have been recovered from suspected members of the Eastern Security Network (ESN). According to NAN, Aderemi Adeoye, deputy commissioner of police in charge of operations, said the explosives, which included an “RPG bomb and a hand grenade”, were recovered at the scene of an attack in ...
- Florida: Man guilty of posting bomb instructions for terrorists
October 25, 2021
A South Florida man has been convicted of posting bomb-making instructions on the internet for people who he believed were Islamic terrorists. Court records show that 29-year-old Samuel Baptiste pleaded guilty Friday in Miami federal court to attempting to provide material support to terrorists. He faces up to 15 years in prison. According to an indictment, ...
