Enhancing the Approach to Inclusive Information Management in the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention


Addressing discrimination and promoting gender equality and inclusion has long been a priority of the APMBC. In the Oslo Action Plan (OAP), States Parties identified gender and diversity mainstreaming as a key best practice for Convention implementation. They committed to several practical steps to integrate gender perspectives and the diverse needs and experiences of people in affected communities in mine action programming. These included concrete actions related to risk education, victim assistance, sharing of data disaggregated by gender and age in Article 7 reporting, as well as the establishment of centralized databases that disaggregate data on people killed or injured, by gender, age, and disability.

Read more…
Source: GICHD


Sign up for Counter-IED Report Newsletter


Related:

  • Colombia: Ambulances For Mine-detection Dogs

    July 16, 2020

    The Colombian army has equipped six new ambulances to care for mine and explosive detection dogs in different parts of the country, especially where illegal groups have illicit crops. Colonel Jose Antonio Pérez, Chief of the National Center against Explosive and Mine Artifacts said that the new veterinary ambulances will “support our canine partners who develop ...

  • AFRICOM: Russia, Wagner Group complicating Libyan ceasefire efforts

    July 15, 2020

    U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has clear evidence that Russian employed, state-sponsored Wagner Group laid landmines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in and around Tripoli, further violating the United Nations arms embargo and endangering the lives of innocent Libyans. Verified photographic evidence shows indiscriminately placed booby-traps and minefields around the outskirts of Tripoli down to Sirte since ...

  • Houthi-laid landmine explosion kills 2 Yemenis in Hodeidah

    July 10, 2020

    Two Yemenis were killed on Friday in an explosion caused by a landmine laid previously by the Houthi rebels in Yemen’s Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, a government official told Xinhua. According to the local government official, who asked to remain anonymous, “an explosion of a Houthi-laid landmine killed two citizens and destroyed their motorcycles ...

  • U.S. House Panel Implicitly Backs Artsakh Aid

    July 9, 2020

    A key U.S. House panel has approved legislative report language indirectly calling for continued USAID funding for humanitarian demining in Artsakh (Nagorno Karabakh), reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA). “We certainly welcome this report recommendation as a step in the right direction,” said Aram Hamparian, Executive Director of the ANCA. “However, in light of ...

  • Statement by Acting SRSG Stephanie Williams on the Death of Two Libyan Mine Clearance Workers in Southern Tripoli

    July 6, 2020

    Tripoli, 06 July 2020 – Acting Special Representative of the Secretary-General (ASRSG) for Libya and Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Stephanie Williams expresses her deep sadness and regret over the death of two humanitarian mine clearance workers yesterday in southern Tripoli and offers her heartfelt condolences to their families and ...

  • Missouri: St. Peters Man Planned to Attack Protesters, Cops With Grenades, IEDs, Police Say

    July 1, 2020

    A St. Peters man has been charged with multiple felonies after police found several explosive devices he’d hidden on a rural road in north O’Fallon, acting on a tip from his friends that he planned to use them in a large-scale attack on Black Lives Matter protesters as well as the military and police. KSDK reports ...

  • Sudan Calls On Parties of Ottawa Treaty to Overcome Challenges

    July 1, 2020

    The Chairman of the 18th meeting of the States Parties to the Ottawa Treaty, Ambassador Osman Abu Fatima Adam, the Acting Chargé d’Affairs to the Permanent Mission of Sudan in Geneva, addressed Tuesday, the intersessional meetings that will last until July 2. The meeting was held via video conference technology due to the corona pandemic, with ...

  • Casualties from landmine/UXO in Cambodia down 42 pct in H1: report

    June 25, 2020

    Cambodia reported 36 landmine and unexploded ordnance (UXO) casualties in the first half of 2020, down 42 percent compared with 62 over the same period last year, said an official report on Thursday. During the January-June period this year, nine people were killed, down from 11 deaths over the same period last year, said the report ...

  • Afghanistan: Six Civilians Killed in Mine Blast in Jawzjan

    June 24, 2020

    Six civilians were killed on Wednesday in a roadside mine blast in Jawzjan province, local official said. Marouf Azar, spokesman for Jawzjan governor, said the incident occurred in Farok Qala village of Muradyan district when a rickshaw was hit by mine. Two children and woman are among the dead and one other child was wounded in the ...

  • Cambodia: New project to advance Kingdom’s mine-free goal

    June 24, 2020

    The Mine Advisory Group on Monday inked an agreement with the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority to facilitate the operation of a two-year project on information management development in mine-clearance action. The assistance aims to support the Kingdom in making headway towards its goal of being a mine-free nation by 2025. During the signing ...

  • New Zealand gives $3.8M to Cambodia for clearance of landmines

    June 21, 2020

    New Zealand has awarded Cambodia a NZ$5.9 million ($3.8 million) grant to assist mine-clearing operations for six years in Battambang, Banteay Meanchey and Pailin provinces. The grant coincided with Pailin authorities clearing 10 MD82B landmines in Pramay Kha commune in Pailin town on Saturday. Senior Minister in charge of Special Missions and secretary-general of the Cambodian Mine ...

  • Angola: INAD destroys 49 explosive devices

    June 16, 2020

    At least forty-nine undetonated explosive devices were collected and destroyed in Huila province by the National Institute of Demining (INAD) during the last six months, 12 more than in the same period of 2019., Speaking to Angop on Monday, Tomás Calundungo, head of the INAD Provincial Services Department in Huila, said the devices were collected in ...

  • Landmines spell silent threat in Libyan former war zone

    June 16, 2020

    The smell of gunpowder still lingered in the battle-scarred south of Libya’s capital when Hicham Suleiman, a teacher in his 50s, cautiously returned to his home. He left his car some 400 metres (yards) from his house and continued on foot, anxious about booby traps hidden by retreating forces, like the one that days earlier had ...

  • US urges Libya ceasefire as landmines kill 7 in capital

    June 10, 2020

    Washington called for a ceasefire in Libya and urged warring parties to protect its oil sector on Wednesday as the unity government said landmines had killed at least seven people in the capital. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s call came as the UN said it had held “productive” talks separately with officers from the unity government and rival forces ...

  • Cambodia: Siem Reap mine-clearing missions accomplished

    June 9, 2020

    Siem Reap officials and the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) announced that with the help of the Peaceland Organisation, Trapeang Thma Village in Khun Ream Commune, Banteay Srei district, is now free of landmines. More than 100 mines and UXO were destroyed over 10 months. Banteay Srei district governor Khim Finan told The Post ...

  • Norway continues to support demining activities in Cambodia

    June 6, 2020

    The Government of Norway through Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) confirmed its commitment to continue supporting Cambodia’s mine clearance efforts by providing $5 million for the next four years. The assistance was made known by Mr. Zlatko Vezillic, Programme Manager for NPA’s Cambodia’s Mine Action and Disarmament programme while paying a farewell visit to Cambodian Senior Minister ...

  • Landmine blast kills 7 laborers in Afghanistan

    June 2, 2020

    A landmine blast in Afghanistan’s restive northern Kunduz province killed at least seven farm laborers, an official confirmed on Tuesday. The governor’s spokesman Esmatullah Muradi told Anadolu Agency the incident took place in the Jungle Bashi area of Khan Abad district last evening where an improvised explosive device planted by the Taliban hit a convoy of ...

  • Landmine explosion kills farmer in Cambodia

    May 16, 2020

    A farmer was killed following an accidental mine explosion in Oddar Meanchey province. The victim was said to have been plowing on farmland in the province’s Anlong Veng district when the tragedy happened. Heng Ratana, director-general of the Cambodian Mine Action Center (CMAC) said yesterday the accident took place at 2:30 pm on Wednesday when the ...

  • Coping with coronavirus in a war zone

    May 15, 2020

    Bombs, bullets, the constant threat of kidnap – and Covid-19. In Libya, a country torn apart by civil war, with a shattered health system, a man from Kent is one of the last international charity workers staying on to lead a team of 40 volunteers. “My life here is just one long threat assessment,” Liam Chivers ...

  • Japan contributes US$ 209K to UNMAS for mine action project in South Sudan

    May 6, 2020

    Since 2011, Japan has contributed over the US $17 million to humanitarian mine action in South Sudan, preventing physical harm to civilians, improving access to basic services, and helping people rebuild their lives in the wake of conflict. The Government of Japan has contributed the US $209,090 to the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), for ...

  • Armenian Military Engineers Cleared 37.6 Acres Of Syrian Land Since Feb 2019 – Authorities

    May 5, 2020

    Armenian military engineers have demined 15.2 hectares (37.6 acres) of territory in Syria since February 2019, the Armenian Center for Humanitarian Demining and Expertise said on Tuesday. On February 8, 2019, an Armenian humanitarian mission of 83 people began work in Syria’s Aleppo city. It was set to demine territories outside the combat zone, inform the population about mines and provide medical assistance to the residents ...

  • Afghanistan’s human rights commission condemns roadside bomb, landmine attacks by Taliban

    April 28, 2020

    The Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission has condemned recent roadside bomb and landmine attacks by Taliban militants that resulted in the deaths and injuries of scores of civilians. Nine civilians were killed and 23 others wounded following a series of roadside bomb attacks and landmines conducted by Taliban militants on April 20 and 21 in Ghazni, ...