Lancashire Constabulary investigation is continuing into the finding of two grenade-type devices in Preston. Police were called to Watling Street Road, Fulwood, at around 12.25pm yesterday (18th June) to a report that the devices had been found close to an address.
The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team were called, a cordon established, and 69 properties were evacuated. A successful controlled explosion of one of the devices was carried out by the EOD at the scene, with the other device removed to a second location and a further controlled explosion taking place there. One of the items was found to be a viable explosive device, the other was not a viable explosive device.
Read more…
Source: Lancashire Constabulary
Related:
- UK: Tighter restrictions on bomb-making chemicals come into force in wake of Manchester Arena attack
October 1, 2023
Tighter measures to crackdown on the sale of bomb-making chemicals in the wake of the Manchester Arena terror attack have been introduced. The restrictions on explosive substances, which come into force today (Sunday, October 1), follows the UK Government’s commitment to review whether laws were tough enough to protect the public following the bombing on ...
- UK: PhD student guilty of making drone to deliver chemical weapon for terrorists
September 28, 2023
A PhD student has been found guilty of designing and building a “kamikaze” drone capable of delivering a bomb or chemical weapon for so-called Islamic State (IS) terrorists. Jurors at Birmingham Crown Court deliberated for around six hours over two days before unanimously convicting Mohamad Al Bared, who used a 3D printer to make the unmanned aerial ...
- Northern Ireland: Alleged ‘New IRA chief bomb maker’ bailed until date set for trial
September 28, 2023
A barrister representing a man accused of terror offences said the allegation against his client was that he was “the New IRA’s chief bomb maker over a span of quite a few years”. Barrister Joe Brolly, who represents Kieran George McCool (55), made the comment during the defendant’s preliminary enquiry hearing before District Judge Barney ...
- Northern Ireland: Police treating Newtownards van petrol bomb attack as arson
September 26, 2023
A petrol bomb attack on a van in Newtownards is being treated as arson. The attack took place at approximately 11.30pm on Monday evening in the Deanswood Crescent area of the town. Police officers and the Fire and Rescue service attended the scene and the fire was extinguished. Police said it was not linked to the ...
- Ukraine: Training to clear the world’s most heavily mined country
September 25, 2023
Specialist British military bomb disposal teams are training Ukrainian engineers to clear Russian minefields. Ukraine is now the most heavily mined country in the world, and it’s slowing down Ukrainian military advances. The training by British Army sappers – combat engineers, some of whom faced similar obstacles in Afghanistan – was specifically requested by Ukraine. Read more… Source: ...
- NATO launches large CBRN exercise ‘Toxic Trip 2023’ on Koksijde airbase
September 24, 2023
The Koksijde air base in West Flanders, Belgium, is hosting a significant NATO chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) defence exercise called “Toxic Trip 2023” from September 23 to September 29. The exercise involves approximately 600 military personnel from 18 NATO countries, including Germany, Belgium, the United States, France, Italy, the United Kingdom, and others. Sweden, ...
- UK: Gunpowder found at Norwich charity recycling centre detonated
September 20, 2023
Bomb disposal experts were called to a former recycling centre after a tin of gunpowder was discovered by a worker during refurbishment work. The 1kg (2.2lb) tin was found at the former Mile Cross household waste centre in Swanton Road, Norwich. Norfolk-based charity The Benjamin Foundation now operates in the unit, recycling electrical items. Police said ...
- Northern Ireland: Police probe petrol bomb attack in Newtownards
September 20, 2023
Detectives are appealing for information after a house was damaged during a petrol bomb attack in Newtownards on Tuesday night. It was reported to police at around 10.10pm that a petrol bomb had been thrown at the front door of a property in the Glenbrook Road area. Scorch damage was caused to the front door, but ...
- UK: Bomb found in Worcester exploded in Powick field by Army
September 19, 2023
An explosion of an undetonated bomb pulled from the river Severn was carried out in a field on the outskirts of Worcester. People were warned not to be alarmed if they heard a loud explosion after magnet fishers pulled a suspected ‘bomb’ from the River Severn this morning (Tuesday). Army bomb disposal experts checked the device over ...
- Northern Ireland: Explosive devices and machine pistol seized in police operation in Derry
September 9, 2023
The PSNI have seized what are believed to be six improvised explosive devices, a machine pistol and a quantity of ammunition following an operation in Derry. Detectives from the terrorism investigation unit carried out the operation in the Stewarts Terrace area of Rosemount in Derry on Friday during which the weapons were seized. A spokesperson for ...
- Northern Ireland: Police officers attacked during security alert in second consecutive night of disorder in Derry
September 8, 2023
Police officers were attacked as they responded to a security alert in Londonderry on Friday evening. The PSNI were at the scene of an alert in the Stewarts Terrace area of Rosemount. Petrol bombs and other missiles were thrown at officers and army bomb disposal experts. The alert began around 12:30pm on Friday afternoon. Police say ...
- Romania and US to conduct exercises with Ukraine in Black Sea and Danube Delta
September 8, 2023
The Romanian and US navies are organising Sea Breeze 23.3, a multinational exercise that will take place from 11 to 15 September in the Black Sea and Danube Delta. Military personnel from Bulgaria, France, the United Kingdom, Türkiye and Ukraine will also take part in the exercise. The main purpose of the exercise is to develop ...
- UK: Man pleads guilty to possession of an explosive substance – High Wycombe
September 8, 2023
Following an investigation by Thames Valley Police, a man has pleaded guilty to possession of an explosive substance in High Wycombe. At Aylesbury Crown Court today (8/9), Jack Coleman, aged 19, of Amersham Hill, High Wycombe, pleaded guilty to one count of possession of an explosive substance for unlawful purpose. Thames Valley Police gained information that ...
- UK: Bomb disposal experts called to Houghton-le-Spring as man injured by ‘homemade device’
September 7, 2023
A man was taken to hospital after he was injured by what police say was a “homemade device”. Bomb disposal experts were called in to assist with an operation in Houghton-le-Spring on Wednesday 7 September, after a man suffered a serious leg injury. Emergency services were called to the Newminster Close area at about 11:25am to ...
- UK: Two men jailed for possessing a homemade ‘Warrington Grenade’
September 1, 2023
Two men will now serve time behind bars for placing an explosive device on a doorstep in Bury. Shaun Offlands, (29), of Esmond Street, Liverpool was sentenced to 5 years for possessing an explosive device and Lee O’Shea, (31) of Apsley Road, Liverpool was sentenced to 4 years for possessing an explosive device. On the 29th ...
- UK: Teesworks cordoned off as controlled explosion of World War II device underway
August 22, 2023
A cordon has been put in place as a controlled explosion of a World War II device is underway at the Teesworks site. Cleveland Police have confirmed a 500-metre cordon has been put in place around Teesworks in Redcar today (August 22). They said the EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) team will carry out a controlled explosion ...
- UK: No new charges in Birmingham pub bombings re-investigation
August 21, 2023
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said that it could not bring charges despite a “thorough and careful” review of evidence related to the 1974 atrocities. 21 people were killed in what remains the worst unsolved terrorist attack on the UK mainland. There was hope that a new investigation by West Midlands Police could bring justice but ...
- UK: Businessman found guilty of plotting to plant bombs in London
August 19, 2023
A businessman with a “deep-seated grudge” against two lawyers at the National Crime Agency has been found guilty of planting two devices resembling bombs at the heart of London’s legal district to intimidate them. Jonathan Nuttall, 50, was convicted at the Old Bailey of planning to plant the explosives over a £1.4m legal dispute with the ...
- Northern Ireland: Omagh bomb questions can ‘only be fully answered with tandem public inquiries’
August 18, 2023
All questions around the Omagh bomb atrocity can only be answered by holding a public inquiry on both sides of the Irish border, a lawyer representing some bereaved families has said. John McBurney urged the Irish Government to “reconsider” its position after a minister indicated this week that there is no new evidence which would ...
- UK: Dangerous phosphorus flare exploded on Lowestoft beach
August 17, 2023
A bomb squad was tasked with exploding a “highly dangerous” flare after it was brought to land from an offshore wind farm. HM Coastguard Lowestoft was called to receive a “spent flare” at Hamilton Dock after it was brought in by boat from a nearby wind farm. But it was quickly discovered to be a live ...
- Gibraltar: 17th century cannonballs found in construction site
August 14, 2023
Two cannonballs were found this afternoon on Devil’s Tower Road in a construction site nearby Filomena House. The Royal Gibraltar Police closed off Devil’s Tower Road after a report of a bomb sighting, and the MoD bomb squad attended the scene. While the findings were being ascertained by the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD), Filomena House and ...
- Dissident republicans: Why Northern Ireland police are still a target
August 14, 2023
The February shooting of Det Ch Insp John Caldwell in Omagh, County Tyrone was a reminder of the threat still faced by police officers in Northern Ireland. During almost 30 years of violence known as the Troubles, 302 police officers were killed. Since the Good Friday Agreement in 1998 ended the worst of the violence, the ...

