Israel’s Operation Rising Lion, which aims to neuter Iran’s nuclear and long-range weapons capabilities, began with an overnight attack on a wide array of targets.
These strikes included the use of drones and missiles launched by operatives from deep within Iran. This is the conclusion of a report from Israeli outlet N12, which cites an unnamed Israeli security source. While details understandably remain thin, the implication is that Mossad meticulously prepared for the attack over many months, including placing agents in Iran. From there, they would operate one-way attack drones and loitering anti-armor missiles, as well as establish a covert drone base “in the heart of Iran.”.
Read more…
Source: TWZ News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletter
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Civilians face increasing harm from deadly explosive weapons
February 26, 2026
Dr Stacey Pizzino from UQ’s School of Public Health collated information on 105,931 casualties in 17 countries and regions across Asia, Europe, Africa and South America. “This is the first pooled casualty analysis globally using previously untapped data sources,” Dr Pizzino said. “It showed nearly one in 4 people injured by landmines and explosive ordnance die ...
- Syria: Army neutralizes car bomb in Aleppo
February 26, 2026
A bomb disposal team affiliated with the Syrian army successfully neutralized a car bomb Wednesday in Aleppo, according to the Syrian Defense Ministry. In a statement released by the ministry’s Media and Communications Department, authorities said a vehicle loaded with explosives had been detected in the Sheikh Maqsoud neighborhood. The statement noted that security measures were ...
- Syria begins mine clearance at UNESCO-listed Ruwayha site in Idlib
February 25, 2026
Engineering teams have begun removing mines and unexploded ordnance from the archaeological site of Ruwayha in southern Idlib, the Syrian Arab Republic’s state news agency SANA reported on Tuesday. The operation is part of a broader plan by the Idlib Directorate of Antiquities to protect and preserve historical sites across the Jabal Al-Zawiya region, which includes ...
- Syria, Ukraine discuss cooperation on landmine clearance
February 24, 2026
Syria’s Minister of Emergency Management and Disaster Response, Raed al-Saleh, met a Ukrainian delegation in Damascus to discuss expanding cooperation on clearing landmines and unexploded ordnance (UXO), the ministry said. The Ukrainian delegation was led by Ihor Bezkrovainyi, director of Ukraine’s Humanitarian Demining Center and deputy minister of economy and agriculture. Talks focused on strengthening Syria’s ...
- Belgium gives €1.35 million to UN mine clearance in Iraq and Syria
February 18, 2026
Belgium contributed €1.35 million last year to mine clearance work by the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) in Iraq and Syria, the Foreign Affairs Ministry said on Wednesday. Since 2019, Belgium has invested more than €13 million in mine action projects in the two countries. After years of heavy conflict, Iraq and Syria remain contaminated ...
- U.S. military completes transfer of 5,700 IS detainees from Syria to Iraq
February 13, 2026
The U.S. military has completed the transfer of thousands of Islamic State group detainees from Syria to Iraq, where they are expected to stand trial in the future, the U.S. Central Command said Friday. CENTCOM said that the transfer that began on Jan. 21 saw U.S. forces transporting more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from ...
- Israel: Over 200 arrested, guns, and explosives confiscated in major Arab crime crackdown
February 13, 2026
The Israel Police in the North confiscated around 200 illegal weapons and arrested over 200 suspects over the last few weeks in a major crackdown on crime in Arab communities, a police spokesperson announced on Friday. Since January, police have been conducting operation “On Target” that encompasses a series of focused raids on known criminal bodies ...
- Iraq: ISIS strikes, suicide bombings, and arrests
February 6, 2026
Three suicide bombers detonated explosive belts as security forces attempted to arrest them in Al-Anbar province, preventing a potential attack. The blast wounded the head of the Executive Tasks Regiments of Iraq’s National Security Service. In Al-Latifiyah, south of Baghdad, security forces thwarted an attempted terrorist attack targeting a tribal security conference. Acting on intelligence, forces ...
- Israel: Police seize guns, explosive device at Bedouin school amid Negev crackdown on illegal weapons
February 5, 2026
Two handguns, an explosive device, ammunition, and magazines were seized from a school compound in the Bedouin town of Lakiya in southern Israel during a planned enforcement operation, Israel Police confirmed on Thursday. The items were transferred for forensic processing, and an investigation was opened at the Ayarot police station. During the search, officers found an ...
- Syria: Security teams clear mines from key road in eastern Aleppo
February 4, 2026
Engineering teams from Syria’s Internal Security Forces began clearing mines and improvised explosive devices on Wednesday from a key road linking the Qarah Qozak Bridge with the town of Shuyukh in eastern Aleppo province, the Interior Ministry said. The devices had been planted along the road in the Ain al-Arab region, according to the ministry, which ...
- Israel: Man killed in car blast near Haifa
February 4, 2026
A man has been killed in a car blast in Kiryat Yam, near Haifa. Police are investigating the scene as a criminal incident at this time. Two other people were injured in the blast and rushed to hospital. Read more… Source: The Times of Israel News Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters The latest news and insights delivered ...
- Israel: Police arrest individual suspected of preparing explosives, planning attack on IDF soldiers
February 3, 2026
An illegal resident from the West Bank was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of preparing explosives and carrying out “additional terror activity” targeting IDF soldiers, Israel Police said on Tuesday night. “The suspect was transferred for questioning by the Shin Bet ,” the statement ended. Earlier on Tuesday, N12 News reported that Israel ...
- Lebanon has decided to join the Mine Ban Treaty
February 3, 2026
Following the signing of the accession decree, the treaty will enter into force for Lebanon six months after deposit with the UN. This progress reflects decades of work by Lebanese civil society and mine action partners, and brings hope to communities still affected by landmines. Read more… Source: Facebook – International Campaign to Ban Landmines Sign up for ...
- Arabian Sea: US shoots down Iranian drone approaching aircraft carrier
February 3, 2026
The U.S. military on Tuesday shot down an Iranian drone that “aggressively” approached the Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier in the Arabian Sea, the U.S. military said, in an incident first reported by Reuters. The incident came as diplomats sought to arrange nuclear talks between Iran and the United States, and U.S. President Donald Trump warned that ...
- Lebanon: UNIFIL-supported campaign launched to reduce risk of explosives
January 27, 2026
UNIFIL launched last week an explosive ordnance risk education (EORE) campaign targeting potentially vulnerable groups, including children and displaced people, in the mission’s area of operation. Working in coordination with the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS), the Lebanese Mine Action Centre (LMAC) and non-governmental organizations, UNIFIL peacekeepers will reach, over the next couple of months, hundreds ...
- Syria: YPG drone strike kills 7 soldiers in Hassakeh despite cease-fire
January 21, 2026
ven Syrian soldiers were killed and 20 others injured when a YPG drone struck an ammunition site in northeastern Hassakeh, the Syrian Defense Ministry said Wednesday. The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA), citing the ministry’s Media and Communications Department, said army units discovered a workshop for manufacturing improvised explosive devices and drone munitions near the al-Yarubiyah ...
- Syria: U.S.-allied fighters say they lost control of a prison holding ISIS militants
January 19, 2026
U.S.-allied forces guarding prisons holding thousands of Islamic State group militants in northeastern Syria said Monday that they had lost control of one of the facilities after fighting broke out with fighters loyal to the government in Damascus. The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) added that one prison was less than 2 miles from a U.S.-led ...
- Yemen: Hodeida destroys 140 landmines in al-Hali district
January 18, 2026
The Executive Mine Action Center branch in Hodeida province destroyed on Sunday 140 anti-vehicle landmines left by the Saudi-US aggression in al-Hali district. The operation was carried out as part of ongoing clearance efforts to secure residential areas and roads, with officials stressing that mine-removal activities continue despite financial and logistical challenges to protect civilians and ...
- U.S. Forces Kill Al-Qaeda Affiliate Leader Linked to ISIS Ambush on Americans in Syria
January 17, 2026
TAMPA, Fla. — U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) conducted a strike in northwest Syria on Jan. 16, that resulted in the death of a leader affiliated with Al-Qaeda who had direct ties to an ISIS terrorist responsible for an ambush which killed two U.S. service members and an American interpreter on Dec. 13, 2025. Bilal Hasan al-Jasim ...
- Can Lebanon overcome the lingering threat of landmines and unexploded ordnance?
January 13, 2026
A year after the guns fell largely silent along Lebanon’s southern frontier, the war is still killing — quietly, indiscriminately, and often unseen. When the ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah came into effect on Nov. 27, 2024, the country woke to a long-awaited calm. But the end of the bombardment did not mean the end of ...
- Iraq: Erbil Clears Nearly 801,000 Square Meters of Mine-Contaminated Land in 2025
January 12, 2026
Erbil Mine Affairs cleared nearly 801,000 square meters of land of landmines and explosive remnants of war over the past year, marking a significant step toward improving public safety and restoring land for civilian use, an official said on Monday. Ali Abdulrahman, Director General of Erbil Mine Affairs, told Kurdistan24 that demining teams cleared 800,795 square ...
- Syria holds national workshop on mines and unexploded ordnance
January 11, 2026
Syria’s Ministry of Emergency and Disaster Management launched Sunday a four-day national workshop, “Safe Step,” aimed at raising awareness about the dangers of mines and unexploded ordnance. The workshop organized by the Syrian National Mine Action Center will focus on raising public awareness of explosive ordnance risks (EORE) and on providing support for victims and survivors. ...
