A Yemeni drone specialist who had traveled to Iraq to train other Iranian-backed fighters was among those killed in a U.S. airstrike near Baghdad last week, American and Iraqi defense officials said, illustrating the extensive cooperation among militant groups supported by Tehran.
The July 30 airstrike in Musayib, a town south of Iraq’s capital, targeted militants preparing to launch an attack on U.S. forces, officials have said. The strike killed Hussein Abdullah Mastoor al-Shabal, a Houthi commander, though the Pentagon was unaware of who he was until after an assessment of the operation’s results, said the U.S. official, who like others in this story spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the airstrike.
Read more…
Source: The Washington Post
Related:
- New Hampshire: Salem Police Provide Update on Charges Following Pipe Bomb Incident Investigation
March 15, 2021
Chief Joel Dolan and the Salem Police Department wish to provide an update following an incident on Friday involving alleged pipe bombs. During a motor vehicle stop on Pelham Road at approximately 5:20 p.m. on Friday, police came upon what were believed upon initial investigation to have been pipe bombs. Upon further investigation, police found there ...
- Afghanistan: Sunday’s blasts ‘death toll’ rises to 5
March 15, 2021
The death toll due to Targeted explosions in the west of Kabul has risen to Five people and further 16 others are wounded. According to Kabul police, two powerful explosions took place on a Tunisian passenger car in the Sarkariz area of the third district and the Pol-e Sokhteh area of the sixth district of Kabul ...
- Philippines: Army, NPA clash in Apayao; guns, explosive seized
March 15, 2021
Several high-powered firearms and an explosive were recovered when elements of the Philippine Army (PA) figured in two separate armed encounters with suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Flora, Apayao over the weekend, the military bared Monday, March 15. Lt. Gen. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos Jr., commander of Northern Luzon Command (NoLCom), said that the first ...
- Nepal: Eight hurt in Improvised Explosive Device (IED) blast at revenue office in Lahan
March 14, 2021
Eight people were injured when an improvised explosive device (IED) went off all of a sudden at Revenue Office in Lahan of Siraha district. Among the injured, condition of two is said to be critical. Office employee Shiva Kumar Yadav, 38, and paralegal person Bhola Pachemagar,78, are among those hit by IED shrapnel in the explosion ...
- Somalia: One person killed and several others wounded including a senior military official in Mogadishu explosion
March 14, 2021
At least one person was killed and several others wounded including a senior military official in a roadside bomb attack on Saturday night. Colonel Omar Abdirahman Somali National Army official was wounded in the attack and was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment according to witnesses. The attack took place in the Mogadishu Hamar Jajab district ...
- India: Naxal killed in blast while planting IED in Chhattisgarh
March 14, 2021
A Naxal was killed when an improvised explosive device (IED) that he was planting on a road to target security forces exploded in Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur district, a senior police official said on Sunday. The incident took place on Saturday on the route of Bechapal-Hurepal villages under Mirtur police station area when rebels from the west Bastar ...
- India: Hardcore Maoist Jairam Besra arrested with 40 kg IED
March 13, 2021
Giridih police arrested hardcore Maoist Jairam Besra with a 40 kg IED during a search operation between Rajaram Bhitta and Jaridih area within limits of Dumri police station area on Friday. According to the information, the police got this success on the basis of secret information received by Additional Superintendent of Police Gulshan Tirkey. On receipt of ...
- 2016 Belgium suicide bomb attack: Islamist brothers ‘shot dead a man to see what killing was like’ before carrying out the attacks
March 12, 2021
Two Islamist brothers who carried out the devastating Belgium suicide bomb attacks confessed to shooting dead a 76-year-old man at random to see what killing was like, their co-conspirators claim. Ibrahim and Khalid El-Bakraoui allegedly killed Paul-André Vanderperren, 76, at random in 2014 – two years before carrying out two separate bomb attacks in Brussels killing 31. Three devastating ...
- Afghanistan: 2 suicide bombers killed, solider wounded in Wardak province explosions
March 12, 2021
At least two suicide bombers were killed and one soldier wounded in two car bomb blasts in Afghanistan’s eastern Wardak province early on Friday, an Interior Ministry official confirmed. The militants tried to assault a special forces’ operating base by explosive-laden vehicles in Maidan Shar, capital of Wardak, about 35 km west of national capital Kabul, ...
- Weaponized Drones: The Next Terrorist Modus Operandi in Southeast Asia?
March 12, 2021
In 2020, a series of arrests conducted by Indonesia’s anti-terror police Detachment 88 revealed the terrorists’ intention to use unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), also known as drones. In October last year, a group of Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) militants based in Bekasi, a suburb of Jakarta, was found in the possession of a drone and its ...
- Afghanistan: Car bomb explosion in Herat caused damage to shops in Obe district
March 11, 2021
Herat Governor Sayed Wahid Qatali said the Taliban had detonated a car bomb in the center of Obe district. According to him, this incident did not cause any casualties, but it has caused damage to the residents of the place and the shops of this market. https://twitter.com/TOLOnews/status/1369991797548716033 Earlier today, in a separate attack, two civilians were injured in ...
- Roadside bomb attacks target US-led coalition convoys across Iraq
March 11, 2021
Four roadside bombs have exploded separately near convoys of trucks carrying logistical equipment belonging to the US-led coalition forces in Iraq’s western province of Anbar, southern province of Muthanna bordering Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, the central province of Babil, as well as the southern province of Basra. The Arabic-language al-Sumaria television network, citing an unnamed police ...
- Afghanistan: 2 ANA Soldiers Wounded in Jalalabad Blast
March 10, 2021
At least two Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers were wounded in a blast in the eastern province of Nangarhar on Wednesday morning, sources said. The incident occurred around 9 am local time in PD8 of Jalalabad city when the vehicle struck a roadside mine, the sources said. However, the local officials have not yet commented on the ...
- Russia: FSB wards off terror plot aimed at school in Penza
March 10, 2021
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) has detained a suspect plotting a terrorist attack against an educational institution in Penza. A hunting rifle and instructions for making an explosive device were confiscated, the FSB’s public relations center told TASS on Wednesday. The Investigative Committee said the suspect was plotting a terrorist attack in his school in ...
- Jammu and Kashmir: 2 major IED blasts averted in South Kashmir, student planning car bomb arrested
March 10, 2021
In a big development in Kashmir, Jammu and Kashmir IG Vijay Kumar on Wednesday revealed that the police have pre-empted and averted two IED blasts in South Kashmir. A student who was planning a car bomb attack has been arrested. While addressing the media on Wednesday, Kumar said that a blast was being planned using a ...
- FBI releases new video of suspected pipe bomber walking near RNC and DNC headquarters
March 9, 2021
The FBI has released new surveillance video of the person suspected of placing pipe bombs at the headquarters of the Republican National Committee and the Democratic National Committee in January. The footage, which the FBI released Tuesday along with a new wanted poster, shows the suspected pipe bomber the evening of January 5, walking along residential ...
- New York: Explosive planted under Schaghticoke car prompts plea for help from troopers
March 9, 2021
State Police say they need the public to help them solve the explosion of a device planted under a car in Schaghticoke. Troopers said the “low-energy improvised explosive device” was placed under a car at a home in the area of Pinehurst and Pleasant streets on March 1. The device detonated at around 4:39 a.m., police said. ...
- British Columbia: RCMP investigating IED bombs set off at Penticton school, park
March 9, 2021
RCMP in Penticton are investigating a series of explosions of IEDs in the city in recent days. Over the past few days, police have been looking into multiple reports of loud explosion sounds seemingly coming from various open areas in the city, which have been found to be linked to explosive devices. Each explosion has happened late ...
- Michigan student accidentally detonates homemade explosive device in classroom
March 9, 2021
A Michigan high school student accidentally detonated a homemade explosive device he brought to school Monday morning, injuring himself and four of his classmates, police said. Officers from the Newaygo Police Department responded to Newaygo High School in west-central Michigan at 8:52 a.m. after a report of an explosion inside a classroom, state police said in ...
- Cyprus: 23-year-old arrested for attack with Molotov against bank
March 8, 2021
The Limassol CID arrested a 23-year-old for an attack with Molotov cocktail outside a bank in Limassol. The act occurred on 13 December 2020 in Limassol when an improvised explosive mechanism was thrown against the branch of Hellenic Bank in Agia Fyla after a bomb was launched against a branch of CYTA. According to information, the 23-year-old ...
- Equatorial Guinea: Huge blasts in Bata kill many, wound hundreds
March 7, 2021
More than a dozen people have been killed and hundreds wounded in a series of powerful explosions at a military base in Equatorial Guinea’s largest city of Bata, according to officials. In a statement on national television, President Teodoro Obiang said the blasts on Sunday were caused by negligence of a military unit “in charge of ...
- Croatia: landmine from 1990s Balkan wars kills asylum seeker
March 7, 2021
A landmine from the 1990s Balkan wars has exploded, killing a migrant and injured several others in an area of central Croatia littered with unexploded ordnance. The blast occurred on Thursday in woodland near Saborsko, close to the Bosnian border where a group of asylum seekers were attempting to traverse the country, Croatian authorities said in ...
