“We beat them through their own app; all they can do is delete our IDs,” an Islamic State (IS) supporter from Qawqaz, the Arabic name for the Caucasus region, boasted in a closed chat room on the Darknet.
He was live-updating other IS members about the attack that killed more than 140 people at a concert hall near Moscow in March — the worst attack to hit Russia in years. Soon after, the militant Islamic State’s Khorasan Province (ISKP) claimed responsibility for the attack. While there was no official word on the motive, security analysts have pointed out that for at least two years preceding the attack, the ISKP had been fixated on Russia, frequently criticising Putin in its propaganda.
Read more…
Source: Dawn News
Related:
- Niger: Improvised Land Mine Kills Five Soldiers in Tillaberi region
February 17, 2022
An improvised explosive device has killed five Nigerien soldiers in the southwest of the Sahel country, the defense ministry said Thursday. An army patrol unit on Wednesday hit the device, killing the five soldiers and wounding two others, the ministry said in a statement read on public radio. The blast occurred in the Gotheye district of the ...
- Somalia: Five killed as gunfire, explosions rock Mogadishu
February 16, 2022
Al-Shabab fighters have attacked several police stations and security checkpoints in Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu, officials and the armed group said – a show of force as the country prepares to hold a long-delayed presidential election. State television on Wednesday reported that five people, including two children, were killed in two attacks: one at a police station ...
- Nigeria: 5 Killed As Boko Haram IED Explodes In Borno
February 16, 2022
Improvised Explosive Device (IED) planted by suspected Boko Haram / ISWAP terrorists has killed five people in Borno State. LEADERSHIP gathered that the IED, which was planted between Gajibo and Muala area along Gamboru Ngala Road, exploded and killed the driver of a pick-up vehicle and four others when the vehicle ran on the IED. A Civil ...
- Somalia: 4 killed in roadside blast in Middle Shabelle
February 14, 2022
Four civilians were killed after an auto-rickshaw they were travelling in ran over an improvised explosive device (IED) in Middle Shabelle of central Somalia on Monday. State-owned Radio Mogadishu reported that the landmine planted by suspended al-Shabab militants exploded near Hansholey village in Jowhar district. The local police said the deceased were all men who are camel ...
- Philippines: Alleged NPA landmine blast injures 2 cops in Negros Occidental province
February 13, 2022
Two policemen and a minor in Binalbagan, Negros Occidental were wounded during a roadside encounter with suspected members of Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) in Barangay Bi-ao on Sunday morning. Police report said Lt. Charles Richard Casalan, the station’s deputy chief of police, and Cpl. Julius Tranquillero, sustained minor injuries during an explosion ...
- Kenya: One injured in suspected Al-Shabaab IED attack in Lamu
February 13, 2022
The Kenyan Defence Forces soldier has been seriously injured on Saturday, February 12 when the vehicle he was traveling in ran over an improvised explosive device (IED) between Milimani and Baure in Lamu County. Al-Shabaab targeting construction workers clearly shows that their aim is to cripple development. Collaboration with security agencies will go a long way ...
- UK: The ‘forgotten’ Coventry bombing that claimed five lives
February 12, 2022
On August 25 1939, a bomb tore through heart of Coventry city centre, leaving five dead and 70 injured. The bomb had been planted by the IRA, and exploded on a busy Friday afternoon, leaving shop fronts shattered and the area covered in debris. It has been labelled the ‘forgotten’ Coventry bomb, exploding just nine days before ...
- Philippines: RCIED discovered, destroyed at Maguindanao power cooperative grounds
February 11, 2022
Ordnance experts on Thursday destroyed a home-made bomb found on the premises of the office of a power utility cooperative. The improvised explosive device left in the compound of the Maguindanao Electric Cooperative (Magelco) in Barangay Upper Capiton was fashioned from a 60-mm mortar projectile rigged with a blasting mechanism that could be triggered by mobile ...
- Benin: Death toll in national park attacks in the north rises as France opens terror probe
February 11, 2022
Nine people including a Frenchman were killed this week in attacks in a national park in Benin’s remote north bordering troubled Niger and Burkina Faso, according to a government update. The toll was the deadliest in recent attacks Benin has suffered as coastal West African states face spillover from Sahel countries battling jihadists. An African Parks patrol ...
- Afghanistan: Explosion near mosque kills 1, wounds 7 in Badghis province
February 11, 2022
Explosion went off while dozens of worshippers had gathered inside the mosque for Friday prayers An explosion on the doorsteps of a mosque in northern Afghanistan killed one worshipper and wounded seven others on Friday, a Taliban official said. Baz Mohammad Sarwari of Badghis province said the cause of the explosion is unknown but investigations are ongoing. Read ...
- Somalia: Several killed in attack targeting election delegates in Mogadishu
February 10, 2022
A suicide bomber targeting a minibus full of delegates involved in Somalia’s parliamentary elections killed at least six people in Mogadishu, the ambulance service said, as the al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab armed group claimed responsibility for the attack. The blast occurred early on Thursday as the vehicle was passing a busy junction on a road heading to the ...
- Kenya: Four killed in IED attack in Garissa
February 10, 2022
Four people have been killed in an IED attack in Sangailu, Holugho sub-county in Garissa county on Thursday morning. The group was travelling from Masalani to Holugho when the incident happened. The driver of the vehicle narrowly escaped death and is fighting for his life in hospital. The four were family members. Read more… Source: The Star
- Somalia: Four killed, seven injured in Bossaso explosion
February 10, 2022
At least four people were killed and seven others injured in an explosion at a restaurant in northeast Somalia’s Puntland commercial city of Bossaso on Wednesday afternoon. A Puntland police officer told state-run Radio Mogadishu that the bomber struck in front of a restaurant in Bosasso’s Al Macruuf shopping center. Locals said security forces have launched a ...
- Burkina Faso army chief calls for ‘new impetus’ to combat jihadi terrorism
February 9, 2022
Burkina Faso’s new armed forces chief, who was appointed last week following a military coup, on Wednesday vowed to give a “new impetus” to a years-long struggle against jihadist insurgents. At a ceremony to mark his appointment, Colonel David Kabre said he was appealing to all units “to commit to a new undertaking with me – ...
- India: Deputy commandant among four CRPF personnel injured in IED blast in Bijapur
February 8, 2022
The police said that of the four CRPF personnel, three seriously injured were airlifted to Raipur and doctors have said that their condition is stable. Of the four, three seriously injured were airlifted to Raipur and doctors have said that their condition is stable, the police added. The incident took place at 3 pm on the Murkinar ...
- Turkey’s Financial Crimes Investigation Board report uncovers millions of dollars worth of UAV and bomb making materials trade
February 7, 2022
A report by the Financial Crimes Investigation Board (MASAK) on freezing the assets of people linked to ISIS in Turkey has uncovered an evidence of the illicit arms trade. According to the MASAK report, millions of dollars worth of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) equipment and parts as well as tons of improvised explosive devices making materials ...
- Pakistan: At least two security forces personnel injured in Quetta blast
February 7, 2022
At least two security forces personnel were injured in a blast near a school at Saryab Mills, Quetta, Aaj News reported on Monday. As per reports, the explosive was placed on a motorbike near the school. The bomb blast shattered the glasses of nearby buildings. Rescue teams and a bomb disposal squad have reached the site, while ...
- India: Odisha journalist killed in IED blast
February 5, 2022
A journalist of Odisha’s Kalahandi district was on Saturday killed in an IED blast by suspected Maoist ultras targeting security personnel, a police officer said. The Improvised Explosive Device (IED) went off when Rohit Kumar Biswal, a reporter-cum-photographer of a leading Odia daily published from Bhubaneswar, reached near a tree where a couple of posters and ...
- Thailand: Three injured including two bomb squad officers injured in Songkhla’s bomb blast
February 5, 2022
While investigating the scene in Songkhla’s Chana district where a fisherman lost his leg when he stepped on a bomb buried underground, two explosive ordnance disposal personnel at the investigation site sustained serious injuries when another bomb exploded. They were working near a railway bridge near Ban Na subdistrict under the surveillance of police and soldiers ...
- Pushed into the shadows, Islamic State still has global reach
February 4, 2022
Since the peak of its power seven years ago, when it ruled millions of people in the Middle East and struck fear across the world with deadly bombings and shootings, Islamic State has slipped back into the shadows. Its self-declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria folded under a sustained military campaign by a U.S.-led coalition, and ...
- Somalia: At Least 10 Killed As Bus Hits Landmine In Kismayo
February 4, 2022
At least 10 people were killed and two others wounded on Friday when the bus they were travelling in struck a landmine in Somalia, security officials and residents said. The victims were heading to the southern port city of Kismayo when an explosion ripped through their vehicle as it hit what was believed to be a ...
- Pakistan Says Attacks On Bases Repulsed; Up To 12 Soldiers, 15 Attackers Killed
February 3, 2022
Pakistan’s military has repelled nighttime assaults on two army bases in the southwestern Balochistan Province that killed up to 12 soldiers and 15 militants, authorities say. An ethnic separatist group, the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), has claimed responsibility for the attacks. The BLA said in a statement that its suicide bombers had detonated explosives-laden vehicles at the ...

