The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, citing rising cases, cross-border spread and significant uncertainties about the scale of the epidemic.
The decision, announced by WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus on Sunday, follows reports of both confirmed and suspected infections linked to the Bundibugyo strain of the virus.
While the situation is serious, it does not currently meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency under the WHO’s International Health Regulations.
Read more…
Source: UN News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Nigeria: Troops Destroy Boko Haram Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device in Borno State
March 25, 2022
The Troops of Operation Desert Sanity destroyed BokoHaram/ISWAP’s Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED) and their enclaves around Njimia-Alafa axis in Borno State. According to the Nigerian Army, the incident took place on 23rd March 2022. Offensive clearance operation is still ongoing to deter terrorists freedom of action in the area. https://twitter.com/HQNigerianArmy/status/1506968399301292037 Read more… Source: Voice Of Nigeria
- AMISOM explores new ways to counter Improvised Explosive Devices
March 25, 2022
Military engineers serving under the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) have completed a four-day training to counter the evolving threat posed by Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), which have become a weapon of choice for terrorists. The training, which kicked off on Tuesday and ended on Friday in Mogadishu, was also attended by 20 military engineers ...
- Somalia: Dozens of people, including a lawmaker killed in Beledweyne and Mogadishu attacks
March 24, 2022
The leader of Somalia’s Hirshabelle region says dozens of people were killed Wednesday in attacks in the city of Beledweyne, including a member of the Somali parliament. Several more people died when militants opened fire at an airport in Somalia’s capital. In an address aired by state TV, Hirshabelle region president Ali Gudlawe said authorities have ...
- Burkina Faso: 13 soldiers killed in attack by suspected Islamic extremists in Gourma province
March 22, 2022
At least 13 soldiers were killed and eight others wounded in Burkina Faso’s eastern Gourma province in an ambush by suspected Islamic extremists, the army announced on Monday. A number of the attackers were killed in the incident, according to the army statement. The military has secured the area with air support, it said. The army has ...
- Nigeria: Unknown gunmen attack two police stations in Imo
March 21, 2022
Gunmen using dynamite have attacked a police station in southeastern Nigeria, a day after two police officers were killed in another attack in the area, police said. Sunday’s attacks in the state of Imo were the latest violence in the region where separatist violence is on the rise. “The gunmen came with dynamite in the early hours ...
- Nigeria: Gunmen Bomb Ohanaeze President’s Home In Imo
March 19, 2022
Unknown gunmen have bombed the residence of the President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, Prof George Obiozor located in Awo- Omamma in Oru East Local Government Area of Imo State. It was gathered that the suspects used Improvised Explosives Devices (IEDs) and petrol bombs to raze the building. Daily Post reports that eyewitnesses from the Awo-Omamma community claim ...
- Somalia: Nine KDF soldiers killed, five injured in IED attack in Gedo
March 16, 2022
At least nine Kenya Defence Forces troops were killed when a vehicle they were traveling in was hit by an explosive in Gherille in Gedo in Somalia. Officials said five others were injured in the incident that happened Monday afternoon. This was after the lorry carrying the troops ran over an Improvised Explosive Device that had been ...
- Mali: The Head of MINUSMA strongly condemns IED attack against peacekeepers in Kidal Region
March 15, 2022
The Head of MINUSMA strongly condemned the improvised explosive device attack against peacekeepers today around Tessalit. In his Twitter post Mr El Ghassim Wane wished a good recovery to the 4 seriously injured personnel and renewed the commitment of peacekeepers to Mali: “The attacks against MINUSMA peacekeepers are relentless and the operating environment unforgiving. But our ...
- Kenya: Three workers injured in Mandera IED attack
March 14, 2022
Three employees of a road construction company were injured when a vehicle they were travelling in ran over an explosive in Banisa, Mandera. Police said the improvised explosive device had been planted on the road by suspected al Shabaab militants and timed to hit a security vehicle that was using the Banisa-Mandera road on Sunday. The workers ...
- Mali: 2 Malian soldiers and 2 UN peacekeepers killed by an improvised explosive device north of Mopti
March 7, 2022
A United Nations peacekeeping convoy hit a roadside bomb in central Mali, killing two peacekeepers and wounding four others, the mission said Monday, while another attack on the Malian military left two dead. The new violence comes just days after at least 27 soldiers were killed in an attack on a military camp in Mondoro in ...
- Niger: Five soldiers killed in IED explosion in Torodi region
March 6, 2022
Five soldiers have been killed by a mine in Niger’s southwestern Torodi region, where jihadist attacks using improvised explosive device (IEDs) are increasingly frequent, the defence ministry said on Sunday. Three soldiers were wounded in the blast, which occurred on Friday when an army patrol vehicle ran over the IED, the ministry said in a statement ...
- Mali: At least 27 soldiers killed in attack on an army base in Mopti Region
March 5, 2022
A militant attack on an army base in central Mali on Friday killed at least 27 soldiers and wounded 33 more, the government said. Seven soldiers are still missing following the complex attack in the rural commune of Mondoro, which involved car bombs, according to a government statement. Seventy “terrorists” were killed in the military’s response, the ...
- Yemen: 2,364 Cluster Bombs, Mines Left by Coalition Forces
March 5, 2022
The non-technical survey teams in the Executive Center for Mine Action managed during February 2022 to discover 2,364 cluster bombs and mines left behind by Saudi-led coalition forces. According to a statistic issued by the center, the non-technical teams of the center were able to survey areas contaminated with mines, cluster bombs and war remnants in ...
- Cameroon government says seven killed in separatist ambush
March 2, 2022
Seven people including a senior Cameroon government administrator and a mayor were killed in an ambush that involved an improvised explosive device (IED) on Wednesday in the country’s restive southwest, the region’s governor said. Bernard Okalia Bilai, Governor of the South West Region, said the Sub-prefect of Ekondo Titi was on a tour of his jurisdiction ...
- Nigeria: Terrorists may plant explosives in public facilities, Kaduna warns residents
March 1, 2022
The Kaduna government has asked residents to be watchful as terrorists may be planning to plant explosives in public facilities in the state. This warning comes after an explosion occurred in Kabala west area of Kaduna on Sunday. Speaking on the incident, the Kaduna police said the explosion was suspected to have been caused by an improvised ...

