A 41-year-old man has been charged over the alleged manufacturing of pipe bombs found along footpaths in Canberra’s north this week. Fifteen explosive devices were found along the shore of Lake Ginninderra in Belconnen between Joynton Smith Drive and Ginninderra Drive.
Some of the devices had detonated prior to being found, while others were detonated by police. Police said their investigations led them to a 41-year-old man, who they allege purchased and stole items used to create the pipe bombs from the Bunnings hardware store in Belconnen.
Read more…
Source: ABC News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Indra signs contract to supply a deployable forensic laboratory capability to Australia
October 9, 2018
It will facilitate the rapid collection, analysis and documentation of evidence from any Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Over 90% of the contract will be executed by Australian equipment manufacturers and distributors Indra operates from offices in Sydney and Newcastle focussed on the defence and transport technology sector. Navigation aid systems produced in Australia are exported worldwide. Sydney, October ...
- Trio accused of Melbourne terror plot ‘purchased IED components and machetes’
August 28, 2018
Three men accused of conspiring to “wage violent jihad” in Melbourne were motivated by the belief they would die as martyrs and enter paradise, a Supreme Court trial has been told. Hamza Abbas, 23, Ahmed Mohamed, 25 and Abdullah Chaarani, 27, faced day one of their trial today. They have each been charged with conspiracy to prepare ...
- UNMAS life-saving work in Iraq continues with support from the Government of Australia
May 13, 2018
The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) welcomes the contribution of AUD 11 million (USD 8.6 million) from the Government of Australia dedicated to explosive hazard management in support of humanitarian and stabilization efforts. Approximately 2.1 million civilians are still displaced due to the recent conflict and unsafe conditions to allow their return. A nation-wide intentions ...
- 2 killed during land mine clearance training in Cambodia
March 16, 2018
A land mine exploded accidently during clearance training at a military base in western Cambodia, killing two people, including an Australian, and injuring three others, police said. National police said the explosion occurred Thursday in Kampong Speu province when a soldier who was being trained mishandled a decades-old land mine that had been removed from the ground. ...
- Israeli intel thwarts ISIS attack on Australian airliner
February 22, 2018
An elite IDF intelligence unit was successful in exposing and thwarting an Islamic State (ISIS) terror plot to bomb an airliner flying out of Australia at the end of 2017. According to an army announcement on Wednesday, the IDF’s famed 8200 cyber unit uncovered the plot and then relayed the information to Israel’s intelligence community, which shared ...
- Web watch targets 50 sites with South, ISIS links
February 7, 2018
Authorities are keeping a close watch on around 50 websites with alleged links to the Islamic State (IS) for possible connections with violence in the restive South, a senior police officer said Tuesday. Speaking after chairing a meeting on transnational terrorism with senior officials from the Australian Federal Police, deputy national police chief Srivara Ransibrahmanakul said about ...
- Combating IEDs with ground penetrating radars
August 28, 2017
Vehicle-mounted ground-penetrating radar (GPR) equipment has been used by the ADF to detect Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) for several years, but there remains much room for improvement in the signal processing component of the technology. A recent trial between the US and Australia provided the opportunity to test the performance of vehicle-mounted GPR equipment on different soil ...
- Lebanon Foiled ISIS Barbie Doll Bomb Plot On Flight From Australia To Abu Dhabi
August 21, 2017
Lebanese intelligence helped foil a plot by the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) to bring down an airliner with bombs hidden inside a Barbie doll and a meat grinder, the country’s interior minister said Monday. Nouhad Machnouk told reporters that Lebanese police intelligence stopped the explosive device plot on the Emirati flight from Sydney to Abu Dhabi, capital of the United ...
- Australian terror threat: National strategy to protect crowds unveiled
August 20, 2017
From architects to bar staff, Australians involved in managing crowds will be urged to plug security into their everyday thinking to prevent terror attacks under a national strategy that will embed long-term changes into the country’s public spaces. The major blueprint gives detailed advice to owners and operators of places that attract crowds on how to ...
- Border force faces questions over ‘terror bomb’ mailed from Turkey
August 4, 2017
Border and security authorities would be “doing a lot of soul searching” following revelations that a bomb kit was allegedly mailed to Australia by the Islamic State and probably couldn’t be sure that more explosive devices had not come into the country, a leading expert has said. After the Australian Federal Police revealed that the bomb at the ...
- Police: IS ‘commander’ directed plane bomb plot in Australia
August 4, 2017
A commander in Islamic State ordered a group of Australian men to build a bomb destined for an Etihad Airways flight departing from Sydney, police have said. The improvised explosive device was intended to be smuggled on to a flight on 15 July but the plan was aborted before it reached airport security. Australian Federal Police Deputy ...
- Australian plane bomb plotters ‘planned to use meat mincer filled with explosives’
July 31, 2017
Four Australian-Lebanese men accused of plotting to bring down a plane planned to use poisonous gas or a crude bomb disguised as a meat mincer, reports say. The men, who were arrested in raids in Sydney on Saturday night, are not thought to be two sets of fathers and sons, despite earlier reports. The Sydney Daily Telegraph said that ...
- Sydney terror raids ‘disrupted’ plot to bring down plane, Malcolm Turnbull says
July 30, 2017
Authorities in Sydney have seized material that could be used to make an improvised bomb, as investigations continue into an alleged terror plot to bring down a plane. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull this morning confirmed raids carried out in Sydney yesterday “disrupted” what appeared to be an “elaborate” conspiracy, and said extra security was in place ...
- Queensland specialist police called out to record numbers of home-made explosives
July 2, 2017
Specialist police are being called to deal with a soaring number of home-made explosives in Queensland. Calls for help to the Explosive Ordnance Response Team increased by 63 per cent from 2005 to 2011 and almost 160 per cent from 2012 to 2015. While there were 42 incident responses in 2011-12, that number rose to 109 in 2014-15. Authorities say ...

