Burkina Faso: Up to 200 people killed in attack in Barsalogho region


An armed group linked to al-Qaeda, Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), has claimed responsibility for what it says was an attack that killed up to 200 people and injured at least 140 in central Burkina Faso.

The attack took place on Saturday in the region of Barsalogho, about 40km (25 miles) north of the strategic town of Kaya, which analysts said is home to the last standing force protecting the capital, Ouagadougou. Fighters opened fire on teams of people digging trenches designed to protect security outposts. Several soldiers were missing after the attack, and the attackers took weapons and a military ambulance.

Read more…
Source: Al Jazeera News


Sign up for our Newsletter


Related:

  • Burkina Faso: 13 soldiers killed in attack by suspected Islamic extremists in Gourma province

    March 22, 2022

    At least 13 soldiers were killed and eight others wounded in Burkina Faso’s eastern Gourma province in an ambush by suspected Islamic extremists, the army announced on Monday. A number of the attackers were killed in the incident, according to the army statement. The military has secured the area with air support, it said. The army has ...

  • Burkina Faso gold mine blast kills 60 after dynamite caught fire

    February 22, 2022

    About 60 people have died after an explosion at a makeshift gold mine in a village in south-west Burkina Faso, local officials say. The blast happened in a market at the gold-mining site when , witnesses said. “There were bodies strewn everywhere. It was an explosion that managed to uproot trees and bring down houses.” Read more… Source: BBC ...

  • Burkina Faso army chief calls for ‘new impetus’ to combat jihadi terrorism

    February 9, 2022

    Burkina Faso’s new armed forces chief, who was appointed last week following a military coup, on Wednesday vowed to give a “new impetus” to a years-long struggle against jihadist insurgents. At a ceremony to mark his appointment, Colonel David Kabre said he was appealing to all units “to commit to a new undertaking with me – ...

  • Burkina Faso: Four French soldiers injured in bomb blast in Yatenga Province

    January 19, 2022

    Four French soldiers were wounded in an improvised explosive device blast in northern Burkina Faso, France’s military told AFP Tuesday evening. “(Their) off-road vehicle activated an IED as it left Ouahigouya airport,” the army said in a statement, adding the unit was part of the Barkhane operation, Paris’ deployment in the Sahel against a jihadist insurgency. Four ...

  • Sahel Conflict Set to Worsen in 2022 – Analysts

    December 31, 2021

    Islamist militant attacks increased this past year in the Sahel region, leading to political instability that saw a coup in Mali, an attempted coup in Niger, and calls for Burkina Faso’s president to resign. Burkina Faso experienced the deadliest terrorist attacks since the conflict began, but analysts say the worst could be yet to come. 2021 ...

  • Burkina Faso: Army recovered 15 improvised explosive devices in operation with Niger

    December 14, 2021

    Burkina Faso’s armed forces killed about 100 militants in a joint operation with Niger between Nov. 25 and Dec. 9 in the two countries’ border zone, the Burkinabe army said. The operation involved hundreds of troops deployed on both sides of the border, an army statement said. They arrested about 20 suspects, seized guns and hundreds ...

  • Why France faces so much anger in West Africa

    December 5, 2021

    It all started so positively. Where have things gone wrong? Why does France now appear so unpopular in Africa? French President Emmanuel Macron has increased aid to the continent, begun the return of cultural artefacts stolen during the colonial wars and reached out beyond the usual inter-government ties to engage younger generations and civil society. He ...

  • Burkina Faso: Six killed in mining convoy attack in Est Region

    September 13, 2021

    Unidentified armed men killed six gendarmes and wounded seven others in an attack on a convoy of vehicles returning from a gold mine owned by Endeavor Mining in the east of the country, authorities said on Monday. The convoy of empty fuel trucks the gendarmes were protecting was ambushed at around 13:30 GMT on Sunday on ...

  • Selected Police personnel in Africa trained in explosives combat

    August 28, 2021

    Selected Police personnel from 11 African countries have undergone explosive recognition and awareness training to combat explosive-related threats by terrorists and extremists. The two-week training dubbed: “Explosives Hazards Awareness Training (EHAT) of Trainers,” drew participants from Ghana, Nigeria, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Cameron, Egypt, Benin, Democratic Republic of Congo, Senegal, Burkina Faso and Gambia. Held at the Ghana ...

  • Burkina Faso : 3 soldiers killed, 5 hurt in Sanmatenga Province

    July 21, 2021

    Three soldiers and a militiaman were killed as two blasts hit a military convoy in northern Burkina Faso last week, the army confirmed late on Tuesday. The incident happened last Friday near the town of Dablo when a joint force of army, police, and gendarmerie personnel was returning from an operation, the military said in a ...

  • Two Burkina Faso soldiers killed in IED blast

    June 23, 2021

    Two Burkina Faso soldiers have been killed died while looking for four policemen missing after a deadly jihadist ambush, the government said Wednesday. “After the death of 11 policemen” on Monday in the Centre-Nord region, the two soldiers had died when “they hit an improvised explosive device”, government spokesman Ousseni Tamboura said after a cabinet meeting ...

  • Ivory Coast: Police officer, two soldiers killed in a blast near the border with Burkina Faso

    June 13, 2021

    Two soldiers and a police officer were killed when their vehicle hit an explosive device in northeast Ivory Coast near the border with Burkina Faso, the military said Sunday. Army chief of staff General Lassina Doumbia said that at around 7:00 pm (1900 GMT) on Saturday a reconnaissance patrol “was the subject of a complex attack” ...

  • UAE begins first flights to support counter-terrorism operations in the Sahel

    April 25, 2021

    The UAE has launched “logistical support flights” as part of French-led counter-terror operations in the African Sahel. The first flight took off from Abu Dhabi watched by Maj. Gen. Saleh Mohammed Al-Ameri, commander of joint operations at the Ministry of Defense, and Xavier Chatel, France’s ambassador to the UAE. Maj. Gen. Al-Ameri said the UAE’s efforts would ...

  • Chad deploys 1,200 troops to quell Sahel violence

    February 16, 2021

    Chad plans to deploy 1,200 troops to combat armed groups in a violence-wracked Sahel border zone as France eyes a reduction of its military presence in the vast, volatile region. Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger and France are holding talks on the future of their military campaign against violent groups in the Sahel, which according ...

  • International Operation Disrupts Supply of Firearms to Terrorists: INTERPOL & UNODC Target Firearms Trafficking in West Africa and the Sahel

    December 21, 2020

    Lyon (France) & Vienna (Austria), 21 December 2020 — A seven-day operation saw law enforcement officers intercept illicit firearms, ammunition and explosives, and disrupt the trafficking networks used to supply terrorists across West Africa and the Sahel. Under Operation KAFO II (30 November – 6 December), coordinated jointly by INTERPOL and the United Nations Office on ...

  • France says it has killed senior al Qaeda operative in Mali

    November 13, 2020

    French forces have killed Bah ag Moussa, a military leader of al Qaeda’s North Africa wing, during an operation in northeastern Mali, Armed Forces Minister Florence Parly said on Friday. The former Malian army colonel, also known as Bamoussa Diarra, was a right-hand man of Iyad Ag Ghali, the leader of Mali’s most prominent jihadi group, ...

  • In Burkina Faso, US Troops Train Local Soldiers

    August 11, 2020

    The United States’s military involvement in Burkina Faso is opaque. Even diplomats and military officials from other countries who are based in Burkina Faso told the Mail & Guardian that they have little knowledge of what exactly is happening on the ground. According to Major Andrew Caulk, public affairs director for Special Operations Command Africa (SOCAFRICA), ...

  • Burkina Faso: Six dead in explosion in northern country

    August 2, 2020

    At least six people, including children, were killed on Saturday evening by the explosion of an improvised device as their cart passed through a region of northern Burkina Faso facing jihadist attacks, sources learned on Sunday. “A cart driven by a group of children exploded on top of a homemade device Saturday at around 5 ...

  • Terrorists Capitalize on COVID-19 to Erode State Authority, Attack National, International Forces in Sahel, Peacekeeping Chief Tells Security Council

    June 10, 2020

    African Members Emphasize Urgent Need to Boost Operational Capacity of G5 Sahel Joint Force, Humanitarian Relief for Displaced COVID-19 has added a layer of complexity to the highly volatile security situation in the Sahel, with terrorists capitalizing on the pandemic to undermine State authority and launch unrelenting attacks against national and international forces, the head of ...

  • ISIS in Africa: The End of the “Sahel Exception”

    June 2, 2020

    This article will analyze two exceptions. The first is the long absence of confrontation between al Qaeda and Islamic state offshoots in the Sahel area. The second is an elected official conducting negotiations with an al Qaeda offshoot. Both constitute the “Sahel exception.” The first factor has ended, but the second still holds. Al Qaeda and ...

  • Burkina Faso bomb kills 3 soldiers

    March 30, 2020

    A homemade bomb killed three paramilitary gendarmes and wounded three more Sunday in northwest Burkina Faso, security sources said. The attack on the patrol happened at Gomboro, in the Boucle du Mouhoun region, a security source told AFP. The injured had been evacuated for treatment and the area was being searched, the source added. Another security source, confirming ...

  • Burkina Faso rocked by new jihadist attack

    January 28, 2020

    Six soldiers were killed and several went missing Tuesday after a suspected jihadist attack in troubled Burkina Faso, following a weekend massacre which could have claimed up to 50 lives, security and local sources told AFP. A military patrol struck an improvised explosive device while on the road from Madjoari to Pama in the eastern Kompienga ...