Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention to hold its Twenty-Second Meeting of States Parties from 1 to 5 December 2025


The Twenty-Second Meeting of States Parties to the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention is being held from 1 to 5 December 2025 at the Palais des Nations, Geneva. The Meeting opened at 10 a.m. on Monday, 1 December, under the Presidency of Ambassador Tomiko Ichikawa of Japan.

The opening session featured a video-message from the United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres and remarks by Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Izumi Nakamitsu. The Meeting is taking place in the Assembly Hall. Information on a series of thematic side events can be found on the Convention’s website. The provisional agenda and programme of work of the Meeting can be accessed via UNODA Meetings Place.

Read more…
Source:United Nations News


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • ‘Everything Living Is Dying’: Environmental Ruin in Modern Iraq

    December 21, 2021

    As far back as 2005, the United Nations had estimated that Iraq was already littered with several thousand contaminated sites. Five years later, an investigation by The Times, a London-based newspaper, suggested that the U.S. military had generated some 11 million pounds of toxic waste and abandoned it in Iraq. Today, it is easy to ...

  • How is the reconstruction of Iraq going?

    January 31, 2019

    In July 2017, the last Islamic State fighters left in the city of Mosul attempted to flee by swimming across the mighty Tigris River that runs through Iraq’s second largest city. They had been defeated. As patriotic music blared out of portable speaker systems, Iraqi soldiers danced on tanks and re-raised their national flag. But, as ...

  • Police in Nigeria confirm killing of 16 people in Borno triple suicide attacks

    August 17, 2017

    UN restates support to combat terrorism in Nigeria The Borno State Police Command has said that 16 people were killed in Konduga town of the state when three suspected suicide bombers attacked a livestock market by detonating their strapped Improvised Explosives Devices (IEDs) on Tuesday. The triple market bomb blasts also injured 82 traders and passers-by who ...

  • Civilian killed in IED blast in western Baghdad

    August 6, 2017

    A civilian was killed as an IED blast took place in western Baghdad, a police source said on Sunday. “A bomb placed under a civilian’s vehicle exploded on Sunday evening while passing at al-Hayakel region in al-Ghazaliya district, causing the driver’s immediate death,” the source told AlSumaria News. Security troops, according to the source, who asked to ...

  • Qatari charity on new terror list has ties to USAID, UN

    June 15, 2017

    A charity in Qatar that was recently sanctioned for links to terrorism by some Arab countries has worked with the U.S. government’s main aid agency and several United Nations agencies, Fox News has learned. The sanctions came as a result of fallout from a growing diplomatic fight between a Saudi Arabia-led coalition and Qatar over what ...

  • Yemen: Children tormented by landmines and unexploded ordnance

    July 30, 2013

    Unexploded remnants of Yemen’s conflicts have killed and injured dozens of children and threaten the country’s fragile return to peace. Thirteen-year-old Nakhlah Ramadhan was tending sheep with her younger sister Fatima on the outskirts of the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, when she stepped on a landmine. She was killed instantly; Fatima was seriously injured. Read more… Source: United Nations ...