UNODC Supports Burkina Faso in strengthening its response to the evolving threat of Improvised Explosive Devices


Improvised explosive devices (IEDs) pose a grave security threat in the Sahel region. Threatening lives and livelihoods, the widespread use of IEDs by terrorist groups in the Sahel leads to increased loss of life, serious injuries, and psychological trauma among military and security forces, as well as civilian populations, in addition to substantial damage to critical infrastructure.

In Burkina Faso, the use of IEDs by terrorist groups further poses a significant challenge to relevant government agencies implicated in preventing such threats including entities dealing with the regulation of material of dual use that can be used for the construction of IEDs such as fertilizers or detonators. To confront this threat, Burkina Faso has adopted a national strategy on countering IEDs for the period of 2023 to 2027.

Read more…
Source: United nations News


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • In Burkina Faso, US Troops Train Local Soldiers

    August 11, 2020

    The United States’s military involvement in Burkina Faso is opaque. Even diplomats and military officials from other countries who are based in Burkina Faso told the Mail & Guardian that they have little knowledge of what exactly is happening on the ground. According to Major Andrew Caulk, public affairs director for Special Operations Command Africa (SOCAFRICA), ...

  • Burkina Faso: Six dead in explosion in northern country

    August 2, 2020

    At least six people, including children, were killed on Saturday evening by the explosion of an improvised device as their cart passed through a region of northern Burkina Faso facing jihadist attacks, sources learned on Sunday. “A cart driven by a group of children exploded on top of a homemade device Saturday at around 5 ...

  • Terrorists Capitalize on COVID-19 to Erode State Authority, Attack National, International Forces in Sahel, Peacekeeping Chief Tells Security Council

    June 10, 2020

    African Members Emphasize Urgent Need to Boost Operational Capacity of G5 Sahel Joint Force, Humanitarian Relief for Displaced COVID-19 has added a layer of complexity to the highly volatile security situation in the Sahel, with terrorists capitalizing on the pandemic to undermine State authority and launch unrelenting attacks against national and international forces, the head of ...

  • ISIS in Africa: The End of the “Sahel Exception”

    June 2, 2020

    This article will analyze two exceptions. The first is the long absence of confrontation between al Qaeda and Islamic state offshoots in the Sahel area. The second is an elected official conducting negotiations with an al Qaeda offshoot. Both constitute the “Sahel exception.” The first factor has ended, but the second still holds. Al Qaeda and ...

  • Burkina Faso bomb kills 3 soldiers

    March 30, 2020

    A homemade bomb killed three paramilitary gendarmes and wounded three more Sunday in northwest Burkina Faso, security sources said. The attack on the patrol happened at Gomboro, in the Boucle du Mouhoun region, a security source told AFP. The injured had been evacuated for treatment and the area was being searched, the source added. Another security source, confirming ...

  • Burkina Faso rocked by new jihadist attack

    January 28, 2020

    Six soldiers were killed and several went missing Tuesday after a suspected jihadist attack in troubled Burkina Faso, following a weekend massacre which could have claimed up to 50 lives, security and local sources told AFP. A military patrol struck an improvised explosive device while on the road from Madjoari to Pama in the eastern Kompienga ...

  • Islamic extremism wracks Burkina Faso, spreading east

    January 10, 2020

    Nearly 1,000 civilians were killed in 2019 by local militias and fighters linked to Islamic extremists, a spike in attacks of nearly 190%, according to the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project, which collects and analyzes conflict information. The violence in northern and now eastern Burkina Faso has displaced more than half a million people, ...

  • More than a dozen killed in Burkina Faso bus attack

    January 5, 2020

    At least 14 people, including seven children, have been killed when a bus carrying students ran over an improvised explosive device in northern Burkina Faso, according to the government. It was not immediately clear who was responsible for Saturday’s blast, which hit one bus in a convoy of three that was carrying 160 passengers in all, ...

  • ‘Poor man’s bomb’ reaps bloody toll in African jihadist hotspot

    December 18, 2019

    They are cheap, made from components that are easily obtained – and murderously effective. Security experts say that in the arsenal of jihadist groups whose insurgency is shaking the Sahel state of Burkina Faso, the improvised explosive device (IED) is one of the deadliest weapons. “With 15,000-20,000 CFA francs (US$25), you’ve got an IED that can destroy ...

  • In Sahel, French troops hunt hidden menace of jihadist landmines

    December 4, 2019

    The unit commander’s order crackles over the radio and the column of French armoured vehicles en route between Burkina Faso and Mali comes to a sudden halt. In the Sahel scrub some 50 kilometres (31 miles) from Deou, in northern Burkina Faso, the vehicles fall into a semi-circle. Eight military engineers step out and walk in an ...

  • UN chief: Terrorists strengthen foothold in Africa’s Sahel

    November 14, 2019

    Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is warning that terrorist groups have strengthened their foothold across Africa’s Sahel region, which is experiencing escalating violence. The U.N. chief said in a report to the U.N. Security Council circulated Wednesday that the expanding foothold is “making large swaths of territory unstable and stoking ethnic, violence, especially in Burkina Faso and Mali.” Guterres ...

  • Burkina Faso: Gunmen kill 37 in ambush on mining firm convoy

    November 7, 2019

    At least 37 people have been killed and 60 wounded in an attack on a mining company convoy in Burkina Faso, authorities say. Five buses carrying staff of Canadian firm Semafo were ambushed on Wednesday about 40km (24 miles) from the eastern town of Boungou, reports say. A military escort vehicle was reportedly struck by an explosive ...

  • French soldier killed by IED as ISIS claim deadly attack on Malian troops

    November 3, 2019

    ISIS has claimed an attack in Mali’s volatile east nera the border with Niger that killed a French soldier on Saturday, a day after 53 Malian troops were massacred in the same area. Militants “detonated an explosive device on a French army convoy in the Indelimane area”, ISIS said on its Telegram channel. The recent wave of ...

  • 2 soldiers killed in attack in central province of Burkina Faso

    October 31, 2019

    An explosive device attack on Wednesday claimed the lives of two soldiers of Burkina Faso army in central-northern of the terrorism-torn country, security source on Thursday told Xinhua in the capital Ouagadougou. A military convoy from Djibo heading to Ougadougou was subject to an improvised explosive device on the road axis linking Djibo, in the Soum ...

  • Dozens killed in two Burkina Faso attacks

    September 9, 2019

    At least 29 people were killed in two separate incidents in Burkina Faso’s troubled north on Sunday after a food convoy and a transport truck were attacked, the government said. One vehicle transporting people and goods “rode over an improvised explosive device (IED) in the Barsalogho area” leaving at least 15 passengers dead, government spokesman Remis ...