The United Nations says the number of civilians killed in Afghanistan has reached a record high in the first half of the year, despite last month’s cease-fire.
Deaths rose 1 percent to 1,692, although injuries dropped 5 percent to 3,430, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said in its latest civilian casualty report released on July 15.
The UN says the number is the highest six-month death toll since the systematic documentation of civilian casualties started in 2009.
Read more…
Source: RFE/RL
