UN Calls for Urgent Action as Afghanistan’s Land is Heavily Contaminated by Explosives


The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has expressed deep concern over the contamination of two-thirds of Afghanistan’s land by explosive materials, reporting that an average of 15 civilians lose their lives each month due to mine explosions. The agency emphasized that most of the casualties are children, underscoring the urgent need for a budget of $14.5 million to tackle this crisis by 2026.

Read more…
Source: Ariana News


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Kabul: Attack On Interior Ministry Ends After 10 Gunmen Killed

    May 31, 2018

    The attack started at around 12.15pm Kabul time when an explosion occurred close to the entrance gate of the ministry. The explosion was followed by gunfire by attackers. The Ministry of Interior moved to the new building last year – a building which is close to main military bases including the Ministry of Defense and the ...

  • Afghanistan seizes truck carrying 10 tonnes of explosives from Pakistan

    May 29, 2018

    Afghan border police have seized a truck carrying 9,800 kilograms of ammonium nitrate, an ingredient of improvised explosives, at Torkham crossing with Pakistan, officials said Sunday. The explosives were placed under fruit boxes in a Pakistani lorry. The discovery was made on Saturday evening during check at Torkham port, Afghanistan’s Interior Ministry said. Read more… Source: 1tvnews.af  

  • Sixth Member of Gas Pipeline Clearance Team Killed in Afghanistan

    May 23, 2018

    The body of a man identified as the sixth of a group of mine-clearance workers with the TAPI international gas pipeline who were killed this week has been found in Afghanistan’s southern province of Kandahar, officials said on Wednesday. The man was kidnapped on Monday after his five team members were shot by unknown gunmen in ...

  • 16 Dead in Afghanistan After Car Bomb Explodes as Team Tries to Defuse It

    May 22, 2018

    At least 16 people, including security personnel and bystanders, were killed on Tuesday as bomb disposal experts tried and failed to defuse explosives in a parked car in the southern city of Kandahar, Afghan officials said. Daoud Ahmadi, a spokesman for the governor of Kandahar Province, said the car had been parked in an auto repair ...

  • Coordinated attack ends in Jalalabad city, 10 dead, 42 wounded

    May 13, 2018

    The local officials in eastern Nangarhar province confirm that the coordinated attack on Customs Department in Jalalabad city ended with the elimination of the remaining six militants. Provincial governor’s spokesman Ataullah Khogyani confirmed that the attack ended after five hours of gun battle between the security forces and the assailants. Khogyani further added that the attack was ...

  • 4 Taliban IED planters blown up by own explosives in Paktia

    May 13, 2018

    At least four Taliban insurgents planting Improvised Explosive Devices were killed after they were blown up by own explosives in southeastern Paktia province. The provincial police commandment in a statement said the incident took place in the early hours of Saturday morning in Malang Dand area of Ahmadabad district. The statement further added that the militants were ...

  • IED Blast Targets Registration Center In Khost, 17 Killed

    May 6, 2018

    Seventeen people, among them a woman, were killed and 33 others wounded when a mine went off inside an election-related facility in Khost province, Khost police chief Abdul Mannan confirmed on Sunday. The IED reportedly was placed inside a mosque which was a facility center for registering voters. So far no group including Taliban has claimed responsibility ...

  • 11 Madrassa Students Killed In Kandahar Explosion

    April 30, 2018

    At least 11 students were killed and 16 other people, including five Romanian solders, were wounded in a car bombing in southern Kandahar province on Monday morning, local officials said. According to Kandahar officials the explosion happened at about 11am local time in Haji Abdullah Khan village of Daman district when a suicide bomber detonated a ...

  • At Least Seven People Killed in Back-To-Back Explosions

    April 30, 2018

    At least seven people were killed in two explosions in Kabul city early Monday morning, local officials confirmed. In addition, 20 others were wounded. The first explosion happened at about 8am local time in Shashdarak area of Kabul city after a suicide bomber on a motorbike detonated his explosives close to an National Directorate of Security (NDS) ...

  • Suicide bomber kills 57 in blast at Kabul voter registration centre

    April 22, 2018

    At least 57 people have been killed after a suicide bomber struck at a voter registration centre in Afghanistan. Islamic State immediately claimed responsibility for the attack in the capital Kabul, which also left 119 people injured. Police said the suicide bomber targeted civilians who had gathered to receive national identification cards. Windows in buildings miles away were ...

  • Afghanistan: 5 killed in mine explosion at Nangarhar

    April 21, 2018

    Five civilians were killed in a mine explosion in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province on Friday. As per the officials, the incident occurred near Haska Mina district of Nangarhar province as a civilian vehicle hit an IED, reports the Tolo News. Read more… Source: ANI  

  • Latest UN update records continuing record high levels of civilian casualties in 2018

    April 12, 2018

    The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) renews its call upon all parties to the conflict to increase efforts to protect civilians, as the number of civilians killed and injured by armed conflict in the first quarter of 2018 remained at the same high level recorded in 2017. From 1 January to 31 March 2018, UNAMA ...

  • IED explosion leaves 4 militants dead, wounded in Paktia province

    April 10, 2018

    At least one militant was killed and three others were wounded in an explosion triggered by an improvised explosive device in Paktia province. The 203rd Thunder Corps of the Afghan Military in the Southeast said the incident took place as a group of insurgents who were looking to plan an IED on a roadside in Zazai ...

  • Afghan SOF seizes and destroys more Taliban explosives in southern Afghanistan

    April 2, 2018

    Afghan Special Security Forces seized and destroyed 18 homemade IEDs and 46 pressure plate initiating devices during an offensive operation in Maiwand district, Kandahar province, Afghanistan, Mar. 31, 2018. This operation marked Afghan SOF’s third significant counter-IED action in the last 10 days in southern Afghanistan. Commandos of the 7th Special Operations Kandak seized six IEDs, ...

  • Afghan army defuses massive bombs, landmines: government

    March 27, 2018

    The Afghan army personnel found 38 improvised bombs and landmines within the last 24 hours, the country’s Defense Ministry said Tuesday. “The Afghan National Army (ANA) engineering teams recovered 38 rounds of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and landmines since early Monday. And they safely destroyed the explosives across Afghanistan,” the ministry said in a statement. Taliban militants ...