New Zealand: Rotorua bomb alert, man admits having explosive in Fordlands


An enraged man told police he planted a bomb in a car while brandishing what appeared to be a detonator – putting a Rotorua suburb into lockdown.

Police then discovered what appeared to be a grenade in a baby formula tin wedged between the steering wheel and dashboard. Charles Warren Wahanui Rameka, 48, from Rotorua has now admitted his offending on the night of February 25 this year in the Fordlands suburb that left residents stuck in their homes.

Read more…
Source: Rotorua Daily Post


Sign up for our Newsletter


Related:

  • Explosive device and ammunition found at empty Christchurch property

    April 30, 2019

    A suspected explosive device has been found at an empty section in Christchurch. Police found the package, along with ammunition, on Newcastle St, in the suburb of Phillipstown, Canterbury district commander Superintendent John Price said. He said the New Zealand Defence Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit made the package safe. A 33-year old man has been arrested and was ...

  • New Zealand: Man charged with unlawful possession of AK47 and homemade bomb

    April 8, 2019

    A 36-year-old Whangārei man has been charged with firearms offences including unlawful possession of an AK47 and having a homemade bomb. The items were uncovered in a two-day police search of an Otaika Rd house. Daniel Paul Van Houten, 36, appeared in the Whangārei District Court on Monday charged with unlawful possession of a .223 AK47, unlawful ...

  • Christchurch shootings: 49 dead in New Zealand mosque attacks

    March 15, 2019

    Forty-nine people have been killed and at least 20 wounded in shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand. The first report of an attack came from the Al Noor mosque, located in central Christchurch. Witnesses told local media they ran for their lives, and saw people bleeding on the ground outside the building. A second mosque ...

  • Puptastic news: Defence Force explosives dog gives birth to first litter of puppies

    January 11, 2019

    The Defence Force has named its first litter of puppies. Explosives detector dog Iris gave birth to six puppies late last year, and all of the pups now have names, the Defence Force said. “The six puppies are the ‘P’ litter, which means all their names begin with the letter P. Their names are Paris, Poppy, Pluto, Pacer, Pulse ...

  • The Government of New Zealand donates USD 160,000 and deploys in-kind specialized personnel to support UNMAS explosive hazard management activities in Iraq

    September 25, 2018

    The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) welcomes a contribution of NZD 250,000 (USD 160,000) from the Government of New Zealand and is grateful for the deployment of an in-kind Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Threat Mitigation Advisor to support explosive hazard management activities in Iraq. Extensive conflict in Iraq involving the Islamic State of Iraq and ...

  • New Zealand: Big boom in bomb disposal callouts

    May 9, 2018

    The number of callouts by the Army’s crack bomb disposal team have almost tripled in the first quarter of 2018, new figures reveal, continuing an upward trend over the last three years. The Defence Force’s E Squadron (Explosive Ordnance Disposal, or EOD) were called out 330 times in the first three months to March, compared to ...

  • New Zealand rotates troops in Iraq, sends nearly 100 soldiers

    April 20, 2018

    Almost 100 forces from New Zealand left for Iraq to train local troops as part of the US-led coalition against the Islamic State (IS), New Zealand’s Sun Live reported on Thursday. The coalition’s Task Group Taji in Iraq, made of military advisers from Australia and New Zealand, has so far trained thousands of Iraqi soldiers and federal police ...

  • New Zealand pledges $1 million to help clear landmines in Colombia

    June 30, 2017

    New Zealand is giving $1 million in aid to help clear landmines in Colombia, one of the most mine-scarred countries in the world after a half century of war, officials said on Friday. Most of the funds will go to a two-year program by the British-based Halo Trust, a demining group, said New Zealand’s foreign minister, ...