Israel and Hamas have agreed to the first phase of a US-brokered ceasefire plan that will allow for the release of all hostages in Gaza, Israeli withdrawal to an agreed point and the release of some Palestinian prisoners.
The ceasefire in Gaza will take effect immediately following the Israeli government’s approval of the deal, which is expected later today, according to Israeli officials. A “formal declaration” ending the war in Gaza must be made for a hostage release to take place, according to a senior Hamas official.
Read more…
Source: CNN News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Qatar: Soldiers deployed to protect World Cup from nuclear and chemical threat
November 21, 2022
Special forces have been deployed in Qatar in case of any nuclear or chemical attack at the World Cup. Turkish members of the Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Defense Division were pictured ahead of the first World Cup game yesterday. They were seen suited in up protective gear with gas masks. The CBRN is responsible for ...
- Yemen: Houthis stage attack on Al Dhaba oil port in first after truce
November 21, 2022
Attack was carried out by two drones but did not lead to casualties or damage, government says, warning “all options” are on the table in response to the raid. Yemen’s Houthi rebels have claimed an attack on a southern oil port, the first of its kind since a truce came to an end earlier this month. Friday’s ...
- Iran blames Israel after bomb kills Guards colonel in Syria
November 21, 2022
An improvised bomb has killed an Iranian colonel from the aerospace division of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps near Syria’s capital Damascus, Iranian media reported Wednesday, blaming arch foe Israel. The Islamic republic regularly calls for the destruction of the Jewish state, which in turn sees Iran, with its nuclear and ballistic missile programmes and its ...
- Arabian Sea: Drone hits Israeli-linked tanker off the coast of Oman
November 16, 2022
An oil tanker associated with an Israeli billionaire has been struck by an Iranian bomb-carrying drone off the coast of Oman amid heightened tensions with Tehran, officials said Wednesday. Meanwhile, Greece said Iran freed two Greek oil tankers held by Tehran since May. The drone attack on the Liberian-flagged oil tanker Pacific Zircon happened Tuesday night ...
- U.S. Navy intercepts ‘massive’ shipment of explosive material in Gulf of Oman
November 15, 2022
The U.S. Navy’s Fifth Fleet said on Tuesday it had intercepted a fishing vessel smuggling “massive” amounts of explosive material while transiting from Iran along a route in the Gulf of Oman that has been used to traffic weapons to Yemen’s Houthi group. U.S. forces found over 70 tonnes of ammonium perchlorate which is commonly used ...
- France Renews its Commitment to Protecting Civilians Impacted by Explosive Ordnance in Iraq
November 15, 2022
The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) welcomes the contribution of EUR 500,000 (approximately USD 495,370) from the Government of France, which will support the Government of Iraq in its efforts to protect civilians impacted by the threat of explosive ordnance and enable humanitarian action, peacebuilding and socio-economic development. Legacy landmine contamination and other explosive remnants ...
- Belgium provides an additional EUR 1,000,000 for UNMAS activities in Iraq
November 15, 2022
The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) in Iraq welcomes an additional contribution of EUR 1,000,000 (approximately USD 980K) from the Government of Belgium, which will support the Government of Iraq in protecting civilians impacted by the threat of explosive ordnance and enabling humanitarian action, peacebuilding and socio-economic development. Thirty-seven years of conflicts, with the most ...
- Egypt: Senior officer, three pro-government militia allies killed in North Sinai
November 7, 2022
An IED blast claimed the lives of a senior officer and three members of a Bedouin pro-government militia on Sunday, in the latest attack on security forces in the restive North Sinai. Militants belonging to the Islamic State group remain active in the Gelbana village which is close to the Suez Canal and 480km from this ...
- Yemen: Houthis reveal latest mine and cluster bomb casualty statistics
November 7, 2022
The Houthis in Yemen announced yesterday that 643 people have been killed and wounded in its areas of control since the beginning of this year as a direct result of mines and cluster bombs in the war that is in its eighth year, Al-Mayadeen, has reported. The movement’s Executive Mine Action Centre said that, in October ...
- Two separate landmine explosions kill four people in Yemen
November 2, 2022
Two separate landmine explosions killed four Yemenis in two regions of the war-ravaged Arab country on Tuesday, a military official told Xinhua. “Three people, including two children, were killed in Hodeidah’s southern district of Durayhimi by an explosion caused by a landmine that the Houthis had earlier planted,” the local official said on condition of anonymity. “The ...
- Israeli raid on Nablus kills 5, destroys bomb lab in escalating violence
October 25, 2022
Israeli security forces blew up a weapons workshop and killed the leader of an alleged terrorist cell during a deadly raid in Nablus early Tuesday, military officials said. At least five Palestinians were killed and more than 20 injured in the fighting, according to Palestinian health officials, the latest in the near nightly clashes between Israel ...
- Iraq: Two UN employees killed by landmine at explosive ordnance clearance site near Basra
October 24, 2022
Two Iraqi UN employees were killed and a third person injured in an accident on Monday near the southern Iraqi city of Basra. The staff members were part of a team working for the UN’s Mine Action Service (Unmas) at an explosive ordnance clearance site at the Shatt al Arab port. “The incident occurred in the early ...
- Yemen: Explosion targets military ambulance in southern Abyan province, 5 killed
October 22, 2022
An explosion struck on Saturday an ambulance carrying a medic team of the southern pro-government Yemeni forces in southern Abyan province, killing five medics on board, a security official told Xinhua. “A remotely detonated Improvised Explosive Device (IED) struck an ambulance carrying a medical military team of the southern troops while passing through a main road ...
- Yemen: Security official survives explosion in Shabwa governorate, 3 killed
October 20, 2022
A senior official of Yemen’s pro-government security forces survived an explosion that struck his motorcade in the country’s southern oil-rich province of Shabwa on Thursday, a government official told Xinhua. “The explosion apparently caused by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED), targeted the motorcade of Brigadier Awad Dhiban along with his soldiers while they were passing through ...
- Iraq: IED explosion kills Peshmerga officer, wounds seven others
October 19, 2022
In improvised explosive device (IED) attacks in the Garmiyan region of Sulaimani province on Wednesday, at least a Peshmerga officer was killed and seven others were wounded, the Kurdish force announced. The forces were deployed in Tawer Kawa village of Zinana and Palkana in Garmiyan as part of a sweeping anti-ISIS operation while the IEDs struck ...

