Germany: Some 30,000 evacuated after WWII bomb found in Pforzheim


Some 30,000 people have been told to evacuate their homes after an unexploded World War II bomb was found in the south-western German city of Pforzheim, police said on Sunday.

The 1.8-ton bomb is set to be defused later today, with firefighters currently checking whether all residents have left the evacuation zone, a police spokesman said.

Read more…
Source: Yahoo News


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Germany: Clearing of WWII mines did cause porpoise deaths

    October 22, 2020

    A 2019 mine clearance operation in the Baltic Sea killed several porpoises as alleged, Germany’s nature conservation agency has concluded. The animals, Germany’s only native whale species, are on the endangered list. A number of porpoises died last year as a result of explosions that occurred while clearing British World War II mines in a protected ...

  • German police say suspicious device found on train near Cologne not explosive

    October 3, 2020

    Police in Germany said on Saturday a suspicious device found on a regional train overnight near the western city of Cologne was not explosive and did not pose a threat. A statement said bomb specialists investigated the object, which contained nails and black powder, after it was discovered by a cleaner in a cardboard box hidden ...

  • Germany establishes 0.5 million euro demining project in Tripoli

    August 20, 2020

    The German government has established a demining project worth 0.5 million euro, aimed at clearing the landmines, planted by Haftar’s militias in Tripoli. The project was inaugurated by German Foreign Minister, Heiko Maas, during his recent visit to the capital Tripoli, according to the German Ambassador to Libya, Oliver Owcza. “The Humanitarian Demining will address one of ...

  • Protection against terrorist attacks with homemade explosives

    August 3, 2020

    Terrorist attacks often feature the use of homemade explosives. For the police and security forces to be able to take appropriate precautions and assess the damage after an attack, they need access to the right kind of tools. A research team from the Fraunhofer Institute for High-Speed Dynamics, Ernst-Mach-Institut, EMI, has now developed a sophisticated ...

  • UK: Newcastle’s Fatah Abdullah jailed for inciting German terror attack

    June 26, 2020

    A man who incited a German terror cell to commit mass murder with a car, explosives and a meat cleaver has been given a life sentence. Fatah Abdullah tried to learn how to make a pressure cooker “bomb” to aid Germany-based conspirators Omar Babek and Ahmed Hussein. The 35-year-old encouraged the others to set off explosions, drive ...

  • Virtual Battlespace 3 Provides Training Opportunities During Coronavirus Restrictions

    June 12, 2020

    Vicenza, ITALY — Since the implementation of COVID-19 related restrictions in Italy, U.S. Army paratroopers assigned to the 173rd Airborne Brigade have relied heavily on the Virtual Battlespace 3 program at the Vicenza Mission Training Complex on Caserma Ederle. Virtual Battlespace 3 is a fully interactive, three-dimensional training system providing a premium synthetic environment suitable for ...

  • Rheinmetall to supply Bundeswehr with vehicles configured for EOD role

    May 11, 2020

    Unexploded ordnance, mines and improvised explosive devices pose a grave threat to troops deployed in harm’s way. The German Bundeswehr is currently taking delivery of a newly developed high-performance system for countering these threats. Specially configured for an EOD role, this new variant of the Fuchs/Fox 1A8 armoured transport vehicle – known as the KAI. The Fuchs/Fox ...

  • The Netherlands: Suspects of German ATM bombing arrested in Weert; explosive in car

    May 4, 2020

    Two persons suspected of an attempted ATM bombing in Germany were arrested in Weert in Limburg during the early hours of Monday morning. An explosive was found in the car the suspects used, the police said in a statement. The explosive was safely disposed of by the police’s explosive removal department. The attempted ATM bombing happened ...

  • German government bans Hezbollah – Interior Ministry

    April 30, 2020

    Authorities have designated Hezbollah a terrorist organization and banned its activity on German soil. Police are currently conducting raids on four associations linked to the Islamist group. German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer on Thursday banned Hezbollah activities in the country, his ministry spokesman said on Twitter. He also confirmed that “police measures are underway in several federal ...

  • Germany arrests IS suspects plotting attacks on US bases

    April 15, 2020

    German police have arrested four suspected members of the “Islamic State” militant group, for allegedly planning attacks on US military bases. The suspects were also said to be plotting to assassinate an individual. German prosecutors on Wednesday said four men had been arrested for plotting to carry out attacks in the name of the terror group ...

  • Germany pledges further $3.8M for mine clearance

    March 19, 2020

    Germany has committed to providing another €3.5 million ($3,841,000) over the next two years to the Halo Trust for landmine clearance in Cambodia in a bid to help the Kingdom reach its landmine-free goal in 2025. The pledge came as the German Ambassador to Cambodia Christian Berger and Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) ...

  • German Police Find Explosives In Car; Dutch Man Arrested

    January 31, 2020

    Police in Hünxe, Germany said that explosives were found during the search of a car at a filling station there. The 25-year-old Dutch driver of the Volkswagen Golf, with license plates from the Netherlands, was detained. “The officers found explosive material that was presumably going to be used to blow up ATMs,” police said in a ...

  • Berlin terrorism suspect worked at primary school

    November 19, 2019

    Police in Berlin on Tuesday arrested a 26-year-old Syrian man accused of planning an Islamist attack, with prosecutors saying he had begun to acquire chemical materials for a bomb. The accused man, Abdullah H., exchanged instructions on ways to manufacture weapons and explosives with other suspected Islamists in a chat group on the Telegram messaging app, Berlin prosecutors ...

  • Germany supports demining projects in Sri Lanka

    October 11, 2019

    On 17 September, German Ambassador Jörn Rohde visited the demining sites of the HALO Trust and Delvon Assistance for Social Harmony (DASH), who is the local implementing partner of Mines Advisory Group (MAG) in Kilinochchi. The aforementioned two non-governmental organisations HALO and MAG received a total sum of 4 million euros (approx. Rs. 800 m) ...

  • Humanitarian mine action – global engagement against mines and cluster munitions

    September 19, 2019

    Landmines, explosive remnants of war and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) still kill or maim thousands of people around the world each year. When the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention (Ottawa Treaty) entered into force 20 years ago, the number of victims initially declined. Today, the situation is different. Conflicts are increasingly being fought by non-state actors that ...