A suicide bombing claimed by the Islamic State has killed four Americans in north-eastern Syria, just weeks after Donald Trump said the terrorist group had been defeated and announced he was withdrawing American forces.
The bomber struck on Wednesday inside a restaurant in the town of Manbij, where US troops had regularly gathered. As many as 16 people were killed in the attack, the most deadly to target American forces during their four year presence in Syria.
US Central Command confirmed that two US soldiers, a defence department civilian official and a defence department contractor were killed. A CentCom statement said three soldiers were injured.
Read more…
Source: The Guardian
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- U.S. warns of possible attacks in Syria during the Eid holiday
March 29, 2025
The U.S. warned of an increased possibility of attacks in Syria during the Eid el-Fitr holiday that marks the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Eid could begin in Syria on Sunday depending on the sighting of the new moon. Syrian authorities said they have detained several militant cells over the past weeks that ...
- €5m German boost for HALO landmine clearance in Syria
March 26, 2025
HALO’s programme will expand to save lives across the country in response to soaring accidents caused by explosives The German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO) supports the HALO Trust in Syria with a €5M grant to boost vital mine clearance efforts as tens of thousands of people return to reclaim their pre-war homes and cultivate their fields. ...
- Israel: IDF begins conducting ground operations in Syria
March 25, 2025
The IDF confirmed that “several terrorists” opened fire upon troops from southern Syria on Tuesday morning. The soldiers then returned fire, and the Israel Air Force struck targets in the region, the military added, stating that there were confirmed hits on terror targets. According to Syrian reports, the IDF launched a ground advance toward the village ...
- Iraq: ISIS suicide bomber detonates near army position in Salahaddin province
March 19, 2025
Two ISIS militants, including a suicide-bomber who self-detonated, were killed during clashes with Iraqi security forces in northern Iraq on Wednesday, according to Baghdad’s Security Media Cell. “After intensive monitoring and the use of technical and intelligence resources, a force from the second battalion of the 88th Brigade and Military Intelligence Directorate detachments within ...
- Syrian troops exchange fire with Lebanese army, armed groups in northeast Lebanon
March 17, 2025
Syrian troops exchanged fire with Lebanese soldiers and armed groups in northeast Lebanon overnight and into Monday in a new round of clashes along the two countries’ border. Late on Sunday, Syria’s defence ministry accused Hezbollah of crossing into Syrian territory and kidnapping and killing three members of Syria’s new army. Hezbollah denied any involvement. A ...
- EU, others pledge more than $6bn to Syria in post-al-Assad donor drive
March 17, 2025
The European Union has hosted a donor drive for Syria to encourage a peaceful transition following the ousting of former leader Bashar al-Assad. Western and regional powers participated in Monday’s one-day meeting in Brussels, chaired by EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas. Among all donors, the EU reported that 5.8 billion euros ($6.3bn) was pledged in ...
- Syria’s massacre of Alawites exposes the new Islamist regime’s real intentions
March 17, 2025
A chilling note accompanied an Iftar meal in Idlib this week: “Every Alawite has the right to live in peace… in a grave.” This message, circulated amid one of Syria’s bloodiest weeks in recent memory, underscores the brutality of an ongoing massacre targeting the country’s Alawite minority. The violence erupted after Alawite militants loyal to the ...
- Pakistan: Three security personnel among 5 killed in Noskhi SVBIED attack
March 16, 2025
A vehicle-borne suicide bomber on Sunday attacked a security forces convoy in Balochistan’s Noskhi district, leaving three security personnel and two civilians martyred, the military’s media wing said in a statement. The banned Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) emerged as a key perpetrator of terrorist violence in Pakistan in 2024, as frequency of high-intensity attacks by outlawed ...
- Pakistan: Terrorists using women, children as human shields hindering Bolan train rescue
March 12, 2025
Security forces have rescued at least 190 hostages and killed 30 terrorists involved in the hijacking of the Jaffar Express in Balochistan’s Bolan district, vowing to continue the clearance operation until the last militant is neutralised. The train, carrying 400 passengers in nine bogies, was en route from Quetta to Peshawar on Tuesday when an unknown ...
- Syria: Entire families killed in sectarian violence, UN says
March 12, 2025
Armed groups killed entire families, including women and children, during an outbreak of sectarian violence in Syria last week, the United Nations’ human rights office said on Tuesday. The bloodshed in the coastal heartland of former ruler Bashar al-Assad saw more than 800 people killed in clashes between armed groups loyal to the toppled dictator and ...
- Syria monitor says security forces kill 136 Alawite civilians
March 7, 2025
A Syria war monitor said Friday that security forces killed 136 members of the Alawite minority, to which toppled president Bashar al-Assad belongs, a day after deadly clashes with gunmen loyal to him triggered a major security operation. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 231 people have been killed since the clashes erupted ...
- Syrian forces in deadly clashes with Assad-linked fighters in Latakia
March 6, 2025
Gunmen loyal to deposed Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad have killed at least 15 security personnel in ambushes in the coastal province of Latakia, a security source told Al Jazeera. The attacks took place on Thursday near the town of Jableh in the Latakia countryside, part of the coastal area which forms the heartland of the Alawite ...
- Man allegedly behind 2021 Kabul airport bombing being extradited to U.S.
March 5, 2025
Mohammad Sharifullah, who has been connected with the August 2021 Abbey Gate suicide bombing at the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, has been extradited to the United States, U.S. officials told CBS News. The attack killed 13 American service members and about 170 Afghans during the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan. A senior defense ...
- Israel carrying out mine-clearing operation near Syria border
March 4, 2025
The Defense Ministry says it is carrying out activities to clear explosives from an area of the Golan Heights near the Syrian border today. Crews are being deployed to areas around the community of Ein Zivan to clear mines and other unexploded ordnance in the ground there. “As part of the planned operations, blasts from explosions ...
- Pakistan: Six terrorists killed as security forces foil attack on Bannu Cantonment
March 4, 2025
Six terrorists were killed on Tuesday as security forces foiled an attack on the Bannu Cantonment in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s namesake district, according to the interior ministry. A senior district police official told AFP on condition of anonymity that “suicide bombers rammed two explosives-laden vehicles into the entrance gate of Bannu Cantonment, triggering massive explosions … after ...
