Four Americans killed in Syria blast claimed by Isis


A suicide bombing claimed by the Islamic State has killed four Americans in north-eastern Syria, just weeks after Donald Trump said the terrorist group had been defeated and announced he was withdrawing American forces.

The bomber struck on Wednesday inside a restaurant in the town of Manbij, where US troops had regularly gathered. As many as 16 people were killed in the attack, the most deadly to target American forces during their four year presence in Syria.

US Central Command confirmed that two US soldiers, a defence department civilian official and a defence department contractor were killed. A CentCom statement said three soldiers were injured.

Read more…
Source: The Guardian


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • UK continues support for mine clearance in Syria

    August 15, 2025

    The UK has stressed its continued support for efforts to clear Syrian territory of mines. The British envoy for Syria, Ann Snow, warned in a post on X platform that “Syria is set to record the highest number of civilian landmine casualties in the world’’. Snow noted that Britain supports the work of the Mine Advisory ...

  • UN Syria Commission finds March coastal violence was widespread and systematic

    August 14, 2025

    GENEVA – The UN Syria Commission of Inquiry today published a report on the wave of violence that engulfed coastal and western central Syria from January, finding that acts that may amount to war crimes were committed. The violence – which primarily targeted Alawi communities and culminated in massacres in early March – included murder, torture ...

  • Syria and Turkey strike new military deal

    August 13, 2025

    Syria and Turkey have struck a deal on military training and consultancy during a high-level Syrian delegation’s visit to Ankara on Wednesday, Turkey’s Defence Ministry announced. The agreement was signed for the regular exchange of personnel to enhance military co-operation; specialised skills training; and a series of programmes in counterterrorism, mine clearance, cyber defence, military engineering, ...

  • Syria: Death toll from violence in the south tops 1,000

    July 20, 2025

    Calm returned to southern Syria’s Sweida province on Sunday after a week of sectarian violence between Druze fighters and rival groups. A ceasefire announced on Saturday appeared to be holding after earlier agreements failed to end fighting between longtime rivals the Druze and the Bedouin that spiralled to draw in the Islamist-led government, the Israeli military ...

  • Syria withdraws troops from Suwayda city to avoid ‘open war’ after powerful Israeli strikes on Damascus

    July 16, 2025

    Israel carried out a series of powerful strikes on the Syrian capital Damascus Wednesday, escalating a campaign it says is in support of the country’s Druze population – an Arab minority group involved in deadly clashes with Syrian government forces. The strikes, which Syria said killed at least three people in its capital, sent US officials ...

  • UN Syria Commission deeply alarmed by Suwayda violence, urges de-escalation, civilian protection and respect for human rights

    July 15, 2025

    GENEVA – The most recent violence in Suwayda governorate in southern Syria has reportedly resulted in the deaths of dozens, including women and children, and the injury of more than one hundred others, with clashes reportedly ongoing. A conflict between Bedouin tribal forces and local armed groups drawn from the Druze community has escalated significantly in ...

  • Syria: Fierce clashes in Suwayda leave 89 dead

    July 14, 2025

    At least 89 people have been killed and hundreds wounded in violent clashes erupting in Syria’s Suwayda province, with the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) warning of a “risk of a new massacre” as government security forces are reportedly siding with Bedouin tribes against the local Druze population. Rami Abdulrahman, the director of the Syrian ...

  • Pentagon Allocates $130 Million in 2026 for Syrian Democratic Forces Operations

    July 7, 2025

    The U.S. Department of Defense has designated $130 million in its Fiscal Year 2026 budget under the Counter-ISIS Train and Equip Fund (CTEF) to support vetted Syrian groups and individuals, including the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and the Syrian Free Army (SFA), for their central role in the enduring defeat of ISIS across Northeast (Western ...

  • 7/7 bombings: How the tragic events of July 2005 changed UK counter-terrorism forever

    July 5, 2025

    It is a date seared into the collective memories of all over a certain age. That morning on July 7, 2005, just before 9am, suicide bombers detonated devices on three Tube trains in central London. An hour later, a fourth device ripped through a number 30 bus near Euston station. The so-called “7/7 bombings” killed 52 ...

  • Ukraine: Former mayor killed, three others injured in explosion in Lugansk

    July 3, 2025

    Former head of Lugansk Manolis Pilavov has been killed by an explosion in the center of the city. Investigators classified the explosion as a terrorist attack. According to preliminary data, the explosion was caused by a female suicide bomber, the police said. The explosion occurred on the Taras Shevchenko Street in Lugansk at about 11:52 Moscow ...

  • Syria: Emergency Minister, International Organizations discuss structure of National Mine Action Center

    June 29, 2025

    Minister of Emergency and Disaster Management Raed al-Saleh discussed with representatives of international organizations and UN agencies the draft work plan for the National Mine Action Center in Syria and its structure, in line with humanitarian priorities and international practices. During the meeting, the participants underlined the importance of completing a review of the center’s scope ...

  • Pakistan: 13 security personnel martyred in North Waziristan suicide bombing: ISPR

    June 28, 2025

    Thirteen security personnel were martyred in a suicide bombing in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s North Waziristan district on Saturday, carried out by Indian proxy Fitna-al-Khawarij, according to a statement from the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR). According to the military’s media wing, a vehicle-borne suicide attacker targeted a security convoy in the district’s Mir Ali area, before being intercepted ...

  • Syria: At least 20 killed in Damascus church bombing attack, dozens wounded

    June 22, 2025

    A suicide bomber in Syria has carried out an attack inside a church filled with people, killing at least 20 people and wounding dozens more, according to the Syria’s Ministry of Health and security officials. The explosion in Dweil’a on the outskirts of Damascus took place as people were praying during mass inside the Mar Elias ...

  • Nigeria: Female suicide bomber kills ten at food joint in Borno

    June 21, 2025

    At least ten people have been confirmed dead, with the number of injured yet to be ascertained, following a suicide bombing carried out by a female attacker in Konduga Local Government Area (LGA), located about 36 kilometres from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital. The attack occurred around 10:00 p.m. on Friday, June 20, 2025, when the ...

  • Syria: People killed and injured by landmines in Deir ez-Zor as they return home

    June 5, 2025

    People returning to their war-torn homes and villages in Deir ez-Zor, eastern Syria, are being wounded or even killed after encountering unexploded devices. Between 28 May and 1 June, four incidents resulted in eight casualties, including the deaths of four children, highlighting the urgent need for the area to be cleared of explosive remnants of war ...