The job of ordnance disposal technicians is rapidly changing. After decades of handling prevasive ground-level threats of improvised explosive devices in Afghanistan and Iraq, disposal techs are reinventing their jobs for a new threat: drones with explosives. As they adjust, they are adding drones to their own arsenals for dealing with explosives.
Over the last two decades, Army ordnance disposal technicians were tasked with rendering more than 100,000 improvised explosive devices “safe” in Iraq and Afghanistan. But as the face of warfare changes, the threat of one-way attack unmanned aerial systems and drones strapped with munitions and explosives are becoming a topic that ordnance disposal technicians are being increasingly trained on.
Read more…
Source: Task & Purpose
Related:
- Joint Australian Training Team – Philippines: Sappers get a blast out of shared training
April 28, 2025
Under the beating sun in Tarlac City in the Philippines, Australian explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) specialists recently exchanged experience and techniques with their Filipino counterparts. In late February and early March, an eight-person mobile training team (MTT) from Australia delivered training focused on counter-improvised explosive device (C-IED) skills. The MTT comprised members of the Australian Army’s ...
- Texas: World record defused, Fort Cavazos captain runs fastest bomb suit mile
April 25, 2025
FORT CAVAZOS, Texas – As the sounds of Soldiers conducting physical training filled Phantom Warrior Stadium April 25, U.S. Army Capt. Travis Chewning-Kulick, commander of the 752nd Ordnance Company (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), was surrounded like a race car at a pit stop. His EOD teammates helped ensure every part of his 50-pound bomb suit was ready ...
- California: Live military-grade mortar found inside stolen vehicle in Sacramento
April 24, 2025
Not your average day, is what California Highway Patrol North Sacramento is saying after a live mortar was found inside a stolen vehicle. CHP say on Tuesday they recovered a stolen SUV. During a search, K9 officers sniffed out a live 60-millimeter mortar. CHP says the military-grade munition was not under military control and had been ...
- Northern Ireland: Viable pipe bomb and ammunition recovered by police in Belfast
April 23, 2025
Viable pipe bomb devices and ammunition were recovered as a north Belfast security alert at Cavehill has ended, police confirmed. The PSNI said the devices have been made safe and taken away for further examination, Shortly after 9:30am, two controlled explosions could be heard across north Belfast. Belfast Castle was closed as Ammunition Technical Officers dealt ...
- Ukraine: Dog teams trained in landmine detection deploy in Mykolaiv Oblast
April 23, 2025
As spring arrives in Mykolaiv Oblast, Ukraine, four teams of highly trained dogs, and their handlers, have been deployed to help detect landmines and explosive ordnance (EO). The teams are working in areas that were heavily shelled between spring and autumn 2022. A team of EO experts works with the dogs and their handlers to investigate ...
- Israel: Police find explosive device near Netivot
April 23, 2025
The Southern District police say they found an unexploded bomb in southern Israel this morning that they believe was left there by Hamas terrorists during the October 7, 2023, attack. Officers found the explosive device in a small, suspicious-looking bag in an open area near Netivot. A spokesman says the bomb was likely left by Hamas ...
- California: Bomb squad called after traffic stop uncovers explosive devices and illegal firearms
April 22, 2025
A routine traffic stop on April 15 led officers to uncover homemade explosives and firearms, resulting in the arrest of three individuals and the seizure of additional weapons and bomb-making materials at multiple locations in the Northstate. On Tuesday, April 15, officers from the California Highway Patrol (CHP) Garberville Area stopped a vehicle for a traffic ...
- NATO Conducts Historical Ordnance Disposal in the Baltic Sea
April 17, 2025
NORTHERN BALTIC SEA – After some days of coordinated operations, Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group One (SNMCMG1) has successfully wrapped up a focused Historical Ordnance Disposal Operation (HODOPS) effort in the Bay of Riga. While continuing its Baltic Sentry mission, the multinational group concentrated on training procedures like detecting, classifying identifying, and disposing of historic sea ...
- EU allocates €23M for demining operations in Azerbaijan
April 17, 2025
The total funding from the EU for demining operations in Azerbaijan, taking into account the funds allocated this year, will reach approximately 23 million euros, the European External Action Service told Report. Together with the 10 million euros that the EU intends to mobilize for the International Centre of Excellence and Training for Mine Action for ...
- Making south Lebanon safer: UNIFIL’s efforts in UXO clearance
April 16, 2025
Since the cessation of hostilities agreement on 27 November 2024, UNIFIL has carried out 34 clearance operations in south Lebanon, removing 91 unexploded ordnance (UXOs) and improvised explosive devices (IEDs). While routine demining activities remain on hold, these efforts are helping to restore safety for peacekeepers, the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF), local communities, and humanitarian ...
- Russian sappers destroy more than 185,000 mines, explosive items in Kursk Region
April 15, 2025
Russian sappers have discovered and destroyed over 185,000 mines and explosive objects in the Kursk Region, the regional authorities said on their Telegram channel. “Currently, Russian sappers have detected and neutralized 185,135 mines and explosive objects in the Kursk Region,” the post states. Additionally, it was reported that more than 675 kilometers of roads and 26,000 ...
- Ireland: Bomb team respond to device in Limerick City
April 15, 2025
Gardaí in Limerick were alerted to a device at a residential property in Prospect at approximately 2:25am on Tuesday, 15th April, 2025. A cordon was established and neighbouring properties were evacuated. An Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team removed an improvised device containing an accelerant for further examination. Read more… Source: Live95FM News Sign up for Counter-IED Report Newsletter The ...
- UK: Controlled explosion carried out on Portobello beach
April 15, 2025
A cordon was put in place near the junction of King’s Road and King’s Place. At that time officers advised local residents to remain in their homes and the public were advised to avoid the area. The item was subsequently found to be an unexploded wartime munition. A controlled explosion was carried out and officers said ...
- Lebanese Army receives bomb disposal equipment from France
April 15, 2025
A French military plane carrying bomb disposal equipment donated to the Lebanese Army landed Sunday at the Rafik Hariri International Airport, the army said on Tuesday. “The donation was received in the presence of officers from the Lebanese and French armies,” the Lebanese Army said in a statement. The announcement comes hours after a Lebanese soldier ...
- Ireland: Gardaí discover explosive device after shots fired at house in Limerick
April 13, 2025
Gardaí investigating a suspected firebombing of a car in Limerick on Sunday morning, discovered a suspect explosive device near the vehicle and were informed by residents of a nearby house that gunshots were fired at the property causing damage. Gardaí are investigating whether or not the incidents, which occurred at Ballinacurra Weston, around 2 am, Sunday, ...
- India: Jawan killed while trying to defuse IED
April 13, 2025
A Jharkhand Jaguar jawan was killed and a head constable of 203 battalion of CoBRA sustained injuries while trying to defuse an IED planted by Maoists in West Singhbhum’s Saranda forests Saturday. Gunfight broke out on borders of Chotanagra & Jaraikela thana limits. The extremists detonated IED before retreating. Constable Sunil Dhan & head constable Vishnu ...
- UK: Bomb squad removed ‘unexploded device’ from house in Hartlepool
April 13, 2025
Residents in Milton Road, Hartlepool, were urged to either “evacuate their property or to remain inside and away from the windows” after the alarm was raised on Saturday afternoon. Hartlepool Police said in an updated statement on Saturday evening: “Shortly before 1pm on Saturday, 12 April, police received a report of a suspected World War Two ...
- Ireland: Explosive device In Wexford made safe
April 12, 2025
A man has been arrested after a suspicious device was found at a home in Wexford town. The Army bomb disposal unit was called to the scene following the discovery at about 7 o’clock yesterday evening. A specialist team examined the device and “made it safe” – and a cordon has since been lifted. A man, ...
- Pakistan: Police defuse 15kg bomb in Lakki Marwat
April 10, 2025
The police foiled a terror bid by defusing an indigenously made bomb in Wanda Maidali area of Lakki Marwat district on Wednesday. A police official said that unknown miscreants had planted an explosive device in a room adjacent to a tube well in the remote locality to carry out a subversive act. He said the police ...
- ADF Sappers ensure Nauru is safe
April 9, 2025
A team of ADF explosives experts worked with Government of Nauru authorities to dispose of two World War 2-era unexploded ordnance (UXO) discovered in a residential area on March 18. Led by Sergeant Matthew Watson, of the 20th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Squadron (20 EOD Sqn), the contingent, including explosive ordnance disposal technicians and an advanced medical ...
- Lebanon: Chinese peacekeepers to help South Korean counterparts neutralize expired high explosive ammunition
April 8, 2025
Recently, the 23rd Chinese peacekeeping multi-role engineering company to the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) dispatched an explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) team to help the South Korean peacekeeping troops neutralize expired high explosive ammunition, thereby eliminating security risks in the UNIFIL camps. The continuing tension in southern Lebanon exacerbates the already acute challenge faced ...
- Ukrainian forces planted mines at cemeteries in Kursk Region during retreat
April 7, 2025
Soldiers from the Bars-Kursk unit, engaged in combat in the Sumy area, are conducting daily demining operations at various locations, including cemeteries that were mined by Ukrainian troops during their retreat from the Kursk Region. The unit’s sappers are urging local residents not to visit their relatives’ graves this Easter, as these areas remain unsafe, according ...

