Ebola outbreak in Central Africa declared a ‘Public Health Emergency of International Concern’


The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, citing rising cases, cross-border spread and significant uncertainties about the scale of the epidemic.

The decision, announced by WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus on Sunday, follows reports of both confirmed and suspected infections linked to the Bundibugyo strain of the virus.

While the situation is serious, it does not currently meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency under the WHO’s International Health Regulations.

Read more…
Source: UN News


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Mali: Defence Minister killed in suicide car bomb attack

    April 27, 2026

    Mali ‘s defense minister was killed in a sweeping attack by jihadis and rebels who seized several towns and military bases, authorities said Sunday. The Malian government confirmed the death of the defense chief, Gen. Sadio Camara, in a post on the defense ministry’s Facebook page, and expressed its condolences to his family. State-run television also ...

  • Mali: Insurgents hit military bases in ‘complex attacks’

    April 25, 2026

    Insurgents launched attacks in Mali’s capital and ​other locations across the country on Saturday, with the army urging people to remain calm as the military-led government faced one of the ‌biggest operations yet in a long campaign against it. A U.N. security note said there had been “simultaneous complex attacks” in Kati, near Bamako’s airport and ...

  • Sudan: Seven killed in drone strikes in El Obeid

    April 25, 2026

    At least seven civilians were killed and others injured on Saturday following drone strikes targeting various locations in El Obeid, the capital of North Kordofan state. El Obeid has been transformed by the army into an advanced hub for military operations in Darfur and Kordofan. It frequently faces drone attacks by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) ...

  • Nigeria, Türkiye agree on military training facility to boost defence cooperation

    April 20, 2026

    Nigeria and Türkiye have reached an agreement to establish a major military training facility in Nigeria as part of a broader defence partnership aimed at strengthening the country’s security architecture and enhancing military capacity. Under the arrangement, Nigerian military personnel will undergo specialised training in areas such as special operations, counterterrorism, intelligence coordination, counter-drone and counter-improvised ...

  • Nigeria: Troops intercept ammunition, explosives in Kaduna, neutralise IEDs in Imo

    April 17, 2026

    Nigerian security forces have recorded significant gains in ongoing counter-threat operations, intercepting a cache of ammunition and explosive materials in Kaduna State while also discovering and neutralising improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in Imo State. In Kaduna, troops deployed along the Manchok–Jos road on April 16, 2026, intercepted a large consignment of ammunition and suspected explosive components ...

  • Nigeria: Police foil bomb attack in Akure, arrest six suspects with IED materials

    April 16, 2026

    Six suspects have been arrested by police detectives in Ondo State over a failed bomb attack in Akure, the state capital. Addressing newsmen in Akure, the state police commissioner, Adebowale Lawal, said the operation led to the arrest of six suspects and the recovery of materials suspected to be components for the fabrication of Improvised Explosive Devices, ...

  • Nigeria: Zamfara Guards seize 98 explosives, N13m bound for bandits

    April 15, 2026

    Members of the Zamfara State Community Protection Guards have arrested a commercial driver conveying 98 explosive devices, N13 million and three motorcycles en route to a bandits’ camp in Bindin village, Maru local government area of the state. The suspect confessed he was delivering the items to illegal miners in the area. He further alleged that ...

  • Nigeria: Army raids IPOB/ESN strongholds, busts kidnapping network, recovers IEDs

    April 15, 2026

    Troops of the Nigerian Army under Operation Eastern Sanity have conducted a raid across the South-East, overrunning IPOB/ESN strongholds. According to the Army, “On 14 April 2026, joint troops of Sector 1, supported by the Air Component of Operation Udoka, launched a precision strike and clearance operation in Ajali Forest, Ezeagu Local Government Area of Enugu ...

  • Somalia: Joint offensive with Jubaland units kills 27 Al-Shabaab militants

    April 15, 2026

    Somali National Army and security units from Jubaland carried out a large-scale operation in parts of southern Somalia targeting the extremist group al-Shabab, the government said Wednesday. The Ministry of Defense of Somalia said the joint operation took place in areas under the districts of Jilib, Xagar, and Afmadow, where troops advanced into villages including Waraha ...

  • Nigeria: Commanding officer, six soldiers killed in IED explosion in Borno

    April 13, 2026

    Troops of Sector 3 under the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation HADIN KAI, have repelled an attempted infiltration by insurgents at a military position in Monguno, but suffered fatal losses from an Improvised Explosive Device shortly after the engagement. The incident occurred in the late hours of April 12, 2026, at a location identified as ...

  • Nigeria: Jihadists kill army general and soldiers in attack on Borno state base

    April 10, 2026

    Jihadists killed an army general and several troops in an attack on a military base in northeast Nigeria, local government and intelligence sources told AFP Thursday. Brigadier General Oseni Omoh Braimah was the second top officer to be killed in five months as violence surges across the country’s mostly Muslim north. Four sources, including the military ...

  • Nigeria: North-East recorded nearly 2,000 IED explosions in seven years,

    April 9, 2026

    Nearly 2,000 times in seven years, a bomb went off somewhere in Nigeria’s North-East. A new report puts a hard number on what security forces and civilians there have been living through. A 2025 Nigeria Mine Action review documents 1,934 improvised explosive device incidents across the region between 2017 and 2024. Road-emplaced IEDs drove the bulk ...

  • Malawi: Police defuse explosive devices discovered at construction site in Mchinji

    April 8, 2026

    Police in Mchinji District were on high alert yesterday after construction workers unearthed four suspected explosive devices buried underground at a site located on a former airstrip in the iNkosi Zulu area. The alarming discovery was made by Billy Malemba and his colleagues while carrying out routine excavation works. According to reports, the workers immediately alerted ...

  • Somalia: Army clears IEDs in Middle Shabelle

    April 6, 2026

    The Somali National Army (SNA) conducted a highly critical mine clearance operation today in the Gololey area, located on the outskirts of Balcad town within the Middle Shabelle region. During the sweep, the specialized Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit of the Somali National Army successfully located and safely removed an active improvised explosive device (IED). Intelligence ...

  • Nigeria: Army foils deadly IED plot in Abia forest, recovers explosives

    April 6, 2026

    The Nigerian Army said it had foiled a suspected deadly bomb attack after uncovering and neutralising multiple Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) in Umuchima Forest, Isiala Ngwa North Local Government Area of Abia State. The operation, carried out in the early hours of Friday, April 3, 2026, followed actionable intelligence from the brigade intelligence unit, prompting a ...