The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, citing rising cases, cross-border spread and significant uncertainties about the scale of the epidemic.
The decision, announced by WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus on Sunday, follows reports of both confirmed and suspected infections linked to the Bundibugyo strain of the virus.
While the situation is serious, it does not currently meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency under the WHO’s International Health Regulations.
Read more…
Source: UN News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Nigeria: Troops intercept large shipment of IED materials in North East
September 19, 2025
Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) North East, Operation Hadin Kai, have intercepted a large consignment of logistics supplies intended for terrorists in Yobe State. Spokesman Lt. Col. Sani Uba described the interception as a major breakthrough in ongoing counter-terrorism operations. Inspection revealed 700 bags of NPK 20:10:10 fertilizer, which can be used to make ...
- Somalia: Danab Commandos, Jubbaland forces conduct mine clearance near Kismayo
September 19, 2025
Somali National Army’s elite Danab commandos, in collaboration with Jubbaland’s Dervish forces, carried out mine clearance operations on Thursday in the outskirts of Kismayo, the capital of the Lower Juba region. Danab officers told reporters that the operation was aimed at removing mines planted by al-Shabaab militants to protect civilians and secure key roads. “This mine ...
- Mali: JNIM attack Senegal-Mali fuel convoys disrupting key trade route
September 17, 2025
In early September 2025, Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimeen (JNIM), an al-Qaeda-linked militant group, announced a blockade on fuel imports into Mali, particularly affecting key trade routes near Kayes and Nioro in the west. Since then, JNIM militants have repeatedly targeted fuel convoys in these regions as part of the blockade. Verified reports confirm that at least ...
- Nigeria: FG moves to tighten control on IEDs materials
September 16, 2025
The Nigerian Government is stepping up efforts to curb the menace of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), which has remained the deadliest threat to troops and civilians in the North East. The National Coordinator, National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Maj.-Gen. Adamu Laka, disclosed this at the specialised training for first responders and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) personnel ...
- Cote d’Ivoire: EUSDI GoG boosts Ivorian Defense Against improvised explosives
September 16, 2025
The Spanish Canary Islands Command provides specialized training on the threat of improvised explosive devices in Cote d’Ivoire as part of the EU Security and Defence Inititiative in the Gulf of Guinea (EUSDI GoG). Far from home, under the demanding African sun, soldiers of Spain’s 16th Canary Islands Brigade carried out a mission that transcended military ...
- Somalia: Defence, Security Ministers Approve National Plan to Counter IED Threats
September 15, 2025
Somalia’s Ministers of Defence and Internal Security on Monday took part in a high-level meeting to endorse the country’s new National Counter-IED (Improvised Explosive Devices) Strategy, aimed at curbing the deadly use of homemade explosives by armed groups. Also in attendance were the National Security Advisor and representatives from international partners, signaling broad-based support for the ...
- Cameroon: One killed, four injured in Batibo bar explosion
September 15, 2025
At least one person was killed and four others injured on Sunday when an improvised explosive device detonated in a bar in Cameroon’s restive Anglophone Northwest region, security sources said. The blast took place in Batibo, a locality of the region, with the bomb planted in a bar near a police station, according to officials. “A ...
- UNOCT: Supporting Eastern Africa in countering terrorist use of improvised explosive devices
September 12, 2025
The United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) will launch the project: “Supporting Eastern Africa in countering terrorist use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs)”, on 11 September 2025. By improving the application of legislative frameworks and building capacities of national authorities to prevent and respond to terrorist activities involving IEDs, the three-year project aims to enhance the ...
- Somalia receives UK-donated vehicles and C-IED equipment to bolster army capabilities
September 11, 2025
Somalia’s Minister of Defence, H.E. Ahmed Moallim Fiqi, accompanied by Chief of Defence Forces Gen. Odowaa Yusuf Rageh, attended a ceremony marking the handover of modern vehicles and equipment aimed at countering improvised explosive devices (C-IED) from the United Kingdom. The assets were officially transferred to the Engineering Unit of the Somali National Armed Forces (SNAF) ...
- Niger: Islamic State group escalates attacks on civilians
September 10, 2025
Islamic State-affiliated militants have stepped up attacks in western Niger, killing more than 127 people in five separate strikes since March and highlighting authorities’ failure to protect civilians, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday. A report by the rights group provides the most detailed accounts available of attacks carried out by Islamic State in the Sahel ...
- Tunisia: Gaza aid flotilla says boat struck by drone at Sidi Bou Said port
September 9, 2025
An activist group seeking to break Israel’s siege on Gaza by sea said one of its main boats was struck by a drone at a port in Tunisia Monday night, but all six passengers and crew are safe. Tunisia’s National Guard said claims of an attack on the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) boat at the Sidi ...
- Nigeria: UN condemns killings of 63 villagers in Borno
September 8, 2025
The United Nations (UN) has condemned the killing of 63 people, including soldiers in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State by Boko Haram terrorists. More than 50 people were killed in Darul Jamal village only on Friday night in Bama Local Government Area of the State. In a statement released on Sunday, Mohamed Fall, the ...
- Cameroon: Separatists claim deadly roadside attack that killed 7 soldiers
September 6, 2025
A separatist group has claimed responsibility for a roadside bomb attack that detonated in southwestern Cameroon, killing seven soldiers. The attack happened Friday morning near the town of Malende, according to local media. The Fako Unity Warriors, an English-speaking separatist group, claimed responsibility for the attack late on Friday. The Cameroon News Agency reported that seven ...
- Morocco Strengthens Bomb Disposal Capabilities Through Advanced EOD Training
September 4, 2025
The United States Africa Command (USAFRICOM) and Morocco’s Royal Armed Forces (FAR) celebrated their military partnership in a capstone event recently marking the graduation of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) 3+ Phase 3 course. Moroccan Craft Products A joint statement from AFRICOM and the US mission in Morocco said today that the program marks the end ...
- Nigeria: Benefits of new technologies in clearing improvised landmines
September 3, 2025
Over the past decade, Nigeria has been grappling with a threat of a new kind: improvised landmines. As federal authorities step up efforts to address the issue, this policy brief explores the potential of technologies such as airborne remote sensing and artificial intelligence (AI) to enhance landmine detection. After declaring its conventional landmine clearance obligations complete ...

