Cambodia has cleared and released 3,297 square km of land contaminated by all forms of explosive ordnances in the last 32 years, benefiting millions of rural people, a senior official said on Thursday.
Ly Thuch, a senior minister and first vice president of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA), said that from 1992 to 2024, more than 1.19 million anti-personnel mines, 26,567 anti-tank mines, and 3.19 million other explosive remnants of war (ERWs) had been found and destroyed. “Cambodia still has 1,576 square km of land contaminated by all forms of explosive ordnances, of which 348 square km are contaminated by anti-personnel mines,” he added.
Read more…
Source: Xinhua News
Sign up for Counter-IED Report Newsletter
Related:
- Cambodian Virtual Reality Helps Train Bomb-disposal Techs
October 4, 2017
A lab in Cambodia is using cutting-edge technologies such as virtual reality, augmented reality, machine learning, swarm robotics and 3-D printing to try and revolutionize bomb disposal. The suite of products developed by Golden West Humanitarian Foundation’s Phnom Penh lab, in collaboration with universities such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Villanova, are designed to mesh ...
- Demining Operator Opens Peace Museum
July 6, 2017
The government’s main demining operator will open a 2-hectare landmine museum at an undisclosed cost in Siem Reap City today, at a time when the government is struggling to attract donors for mine clearance work that is well behind schedule. The Peace Museum of Mine Action, housed at the regional headquarters of the Cambodian Mine Action ...
- The lifesaving hero rats with a nose for explosives
June 24, 2017
Merry usually wakes before the sun rises and is driven to work along with 11 of her colleagues in Siem Reap province, Cambodia. They work for a few hours, napping between shifts. Her job, detecting landmines and other unexploded ordnance (UXO), requires a laser-like focus. It also helps that at about a kilo in weight, ...
- War Ends but Suffering Remains
August 1, 2016
Forty-six-year-old Phon Chet, who lost his left leg to cluster bombs 14 years ago, sits with other impaired people at a rehabilitation center in Kampong Cham province during a media tour on Thursday. Due to unexploded ordnance left over from the civil war in the 1970s, his wife and six children lost the chance to go ...
