In the first six months of this year, at least 18 people — 17 Bangladeshis and one Rohingya — were wounded in landmine explosions on the Myanmar side of the border. Two Rohingyas were killed and six others wounded last year, while five people were injured in 2023.
Human Rights Watch reported last November that the Myanmar military continues to deploy banned antipersonnel landmines across all 14 states and regions despite international prohibitions. Since the military coup in February, 2021, both the junta and non-state armed groups, such as the Arakan Army, reportedly increased the use of these mines, it said.
Read more…
Source: The Daily Star News
Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox
Related:
- Thailand: Pattaya ping pong bomb hooligans injure 2 women
March 23, 2023
A group of teenage hooligans in Pattaya threw ping pong bombs at two women in the early hours of this morning, leaving them with injuries. At around 1am, a group of approximately 10 teenagers on five motorcycles approached them and hurled a ping pong bomb at them for no apparent reason. The explosion caused slight injuries ...
- Cambodia: Takeo now ‘mine-free’
March 21, 2023
Takeo province was officially declared “mine-free” in a March 21 ceremony attended by Ly Thuch, senior minister and first vice-president of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA), making it the 11th first-order administrative division to be cleared of mines as part of Prime Minister Hun Sen’s campaign to clear the entire Kingdom ...
- Thailand: Police team defuse car bomb in Pattani province
March 14, 2023
A woman found an improvised explosive device made from a gas cylinder strapped to the undercarriage of her SUV on Saturday night, which authorities have managed to defuse safely. Enaz Haji Taye, a resident of tambon Thanon in Mayo district, reported the discovery on Sunday morning. Police dispatched an ordnance disposal team to her house and ...
- Cambodia: Kandal joins growing list of mine-free jurisdictions
March 13, 2023
Deputy Prime Minister Aun Pornmoniroth reiterated that the clearance of landmines and explosive remnants of war (ERW) remains indispensable work, as he declared Kandal another mine-free province on March 13. Kandal now joins Phnom Penh and eight provinces – Stung Treng, Kep, Prey Veng, Preah Sihanouk, Tbong Khmum, Kampong Cham, Svay Rieng; and Kampong Chhnang – ...
- Cambodia: Anti-tank mine among than 200 units of ERW’s and ammunitions cleared from village in Kratie province
March 13, 2023
The Mine clearing unit of the National Center for the Management of Peacekeeping Forces and Demining (NPMEC) are hard at work in clearing mines in Thnal village, Svay Chres commune, Snuol district, Kratie province. During the course of the clearing works, they unearthed and found eight TM 46 land mines. One was anti-tank mine, armored vehicles ...
- Thailand: Two bomb disposal team members die, one injured in Narathiwat
March 4, 2023
Two members of an army bomb disposal squad were killed and another injured by a southern insurgent IED attack on the convoy of the deputy commander of the Fourth Army Region in Si Sakhon district of the restive southern province of Narathiwat on Friday. Maj-Gen Paisal Nusang, the deputy commander of the Fourth Army, and his ...
- Cambodia: Preah Sihanouk province officially declared landmine-free
February 24, 2023
Preah Sihanouk province was officially declared landmine free on February 24, making it the sixth province to be declared free of landmines. Authorities are committed to clearing 12 more provinces of landmines by the end of the year. The ceremony held to declare the province landmine free was presided over by Meas Sopheal, Senior Minister in ...
- Cambodian PM says over 10 mln people benefit from clean-up of landmine, ERW contaminated land
February 23, 2023
Cambodian Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen said on Thursday that some 10.03 million people, or 62.6 percent of the kingdom’s population, have benefited from the clean-up of landmine and explosive remnant of war (ERW) contaminated land in the last 30 years. Hun Sen revealed the figure in a message to mark the upcoming National Mine ...
- Cambodia deploys 98 deminers to Central African Republic
February 23, 2023
Cambodian deminers departed Phnom Penh on Tuesday to the Central African Republic to as part of the UN peacekeeping force. They will be part of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA). Read more… Source: Khmer Times
- Cambodia: CMAC, Defence Ministry team up to salvage warship
February 20, 2023
The Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) and the Ministry of National Defence have joined forces to salvage a sunken warship from the Mekong River in Koh Peam Raing in Kandal province’s Loeuk Dek district. The operation, which will also include the removal of landmines and other unexploded ordnances of war (UXO), was launched on Friday in ...
- Vietnam: Wartime bomb safely removed from seabed in Quang Binh
February 19, 2023
The military force in the central province of Quang Binh has removed a bomb left from wartime from the seabed offshore Quang Trach district and destroyed it safely, the command of the province’s border guard force said on February 19. A local fisherman detected the 1.6m long bomb about 100m from the shore on February 13 and quickly alerted the ...
- Cambodia: German president observes mine clearance in Siem Reap
February 15, 2023
German president Frank-Walter Steinmeier and his wife Elke Budenbender on Feb 14 touched down in Siem Reap province, where they observed mine clearance activities and pledged to help Cambodia achieve its mine-free 2025 goal. Ly Thuch, Senior Minister and First Vice-President of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA), accompanied Steinmeier during the field ...
- Myanmar: Bomb kills 3 civilians at Bago region railway station
February 14, 2023
A bomb blast at a railway station in Myanmar’s Bago region killed three people and injured nine more. The device exploded at around noon on Monday at the station in Nyaunglebin town. Read more… Source: RFA news
- Myanmar: Seven resistance members arrested for Yangon assassinations
February 13, 2023
The Myanmar military regime reported on Sunday that it had arrested seven men it said were members of the People’s Defense Force (PDF) in Yangon’s Hlaing Township who were involved in the assassinations of 15 junta-linked individuals including veterans and departmental personnel. It said the alleged gunman in the Jan. 30 shooting death of a former ...
- Cambodia: China donated $13.2 million for demining
February 13, 2023
In contributing to attain the goal of Cambodia mine-free by 2025, China has donated $13.2 million for demining in vulnerable areas to bring peace and happiness to Cambodian people. The donation came during the official visit of Prime Minister Hun Sen to China. Ly Thuch, First Vice-President of Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority, said ...

