Bangladesh-Myanmar border: Landmine-related injuries on the rise


In the first six months of this year, at least 18 people — 17 Bangladeshis and one Rohingya — were wounded in landmine explosions on the Myanmar side of the border. Two Rohingyas were killed and six others wounded last year, while five people were injured in 2023.

Human Rights Watch reported last November that the Myanmar military continues to deploy banned antipersonnel landmines across all 14 states and regions despite international prohibitions. Since the military coup in February, 2021, both the junta and non-state armed groups, such as the Arakan Army, reportedly increased the use of these mines, it said.

Read more…
Source: The Daily Star News


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Philippines, Cambodia forge alliance against illegal mine and explosive usage

    March 20, 2024

    In a significant diplomatic move, the Philippines and Cambodia have expressed the joint commitment to combat the grave threat posed by illegal mine and explosives usage, vowing to address the pressing issue that endangers people in both nations. The Philippines Department of National Defence (DND) disclosed that its head Gilberto Teodoro Jr. held discussions with Phan ...

  • Cambodia: Landmine explosion kills one in Oddar Meanchey province

    March 17, 2024

    A boy was killed and his two younger sisters seriously wounded in a landmine explosion in northwest Cambodia’s Oddar Meanchey province on Sunday, a mine clearance chief said. Heng Ratana, director-general of the Cambodian Mine Action Center (CMAC), said the blast occurred Sunday morning in Anlong Veng district when the three siblings followed their mother to ...

  • Cambodia records 32 landmine, ERW casualties in 2023, down 22 percent

    March 15, 2024

    Cambodia reported 32 landmine and explosive remnant of war (ERW) casualties in 2023, a 22 percent decline from 41 in 2022, according to an official report on Thursday. “Four people were killed, 18 others were injured, and the 10 others were amputated in 2023,” the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA)’s report said, adding ...

  • Cambodia: Mine Authority and GICHD sign MOU on cooperation in the risk management of explosive remnants of war

    March 6, 2024

    The Mine Action Authority and the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) signed a Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation in Residual Contamination Management in Cambodia on March 5, 2024. Senior Minister Ly Thuch, First Vice President of the Mine Authority and Chairman of the 2024 Ottawa Convention, presided over the signing ceremony, which was held ...

  • Explosives remain in 5.6 million hectares in Việt Nam

    February 29, 2024

    Around 5.6 million hectares, equivalent to 17.71 per cent of Việt Nam’s total area, are still contaminated with unexploded ordnance (UXO) as of the end of 2023. Việt Nam is among the countries with the highest rates of UXO contamination in the world. It is estimated that approximately 800,000 tons of explosives were left across Việt ...

  • Thailand: Joint Exercise Cobra Gold 2024 begins

    February 28, 2024

    RAYONG PROVINCE, Thailand — Thousands of servicemembers from the United States, Thailand and partnering countries gathered to participate in the opening ceremonies of the 43rd Annual Cobra Gold exercise, which commenced Tuesday morning in Rayong province, Kingdom of Thailand, Feb. 27, 2024. Established in 1982 as a bilateral maritime exercise between the United States and Thailand, ...

  • Cambodia: CMAC defuse monster 340kg US bomb in Kampong Cham village

    February 28, 2024

    The Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) successfully neutralised a large US air-dropped bomb in Kampong Cham province on February 27. The 340kg bomb, identified as an M117 US general purpose bomb, was defused by CMAC operatives, in a carefully planned operation. A CMAC statement said the large explosive remnant of war (ERW) was discovered in Chakar ...

  • LAO PDR: Unit 58 receives 20 vehicles and other equipment to support its UXO clearance work

    February 28, 2024

    The Government of Korea today handed over valuable equipment worth over USD 1million, including 20 vehicles, 10 off-road motorbikes, metal detectors, generators, brush cutters, laptops, and IT equipment for 13 newly established Humanitarian Demining teams of Lao People’s Army (Unit 58). These assets will bolster Unit 58’s operations on unexploded ordnance (UXO) until 2026 and beyond. ...

  • UK Government awards over $1 million in funding to MAG’s work in Laos

    February 28, 2024

    The United Kingdom’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) has pledged over $1.65 million in funding to the Mines Advisory Group (MAG) to support ongoing UXO survey, clearance, and explosive ordnance risk education (EORE) activities in Khammouane province. This funding coincides with MAG’s 30th anniversary of UXO operations in Lao PDR and highlights the UK’s long-term ...

  • Vietnam National Mine Action Centre celebrates 10th founding anniversary

    February 28, 2024

    The Vietnam National Mine Action Center (VNMAC) on February 28 held a meeting with representatives of embassies of countries, international organisations, and foreign non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to celebrate its 10th founding anniversary (March 4, 2014 – 2024). In 2010, the Vietnamese Government issued a National Action Programme to overcome the consequences of post-war bombs and mines ...

  • Cambodia: Britain allots additional $3.8 million for mine clearance

    February 22, 2024

    The United Kingdom has pledged a further $3.8 million in funding to support mine clearance efforts in Cambodia, as part of a broader commitment to aid eight countries across Africa and Asia. This new donation, raising the amount of funding to £17 million ($21.5 million), will be directed towards two leading British organisations, the Mines Advisory ...

  • Cambodia: Monk injured in explosion in Banteay Meanchey

    February 20, 2024

    Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) forces will conduct a full search at the Borom Sal Prek Phnom Svaypagoda to ensure there are no more UXO in the pagoda after a monk was injured in an explosion of an unexploded ordnance, injuring his right thigh and near his ear. According to CMAC stated on February 19, 2024 ...

  • Cambodia: A man injured in landmine accident in Banteay Meanchey province

    February 11, 2024

    A 35 years old man got seriously injure by landmine explosion (K59) on February 9, 2024, in Seila Khmer village, O’Bei Choan commune, O’Chrov district, Banteay Meanchey province. According to Cambodian Mine Action Authority (CMAA) the victim named Van Komsort, suffered injuries on both legs. The incident happened when the victim was walking to pick leaves ...

  • Cambodia: Battambang farmer seriously injured in landmine explosion

    February 6, 2024

    A Battambang farmer was seriously injured after stepping on a landmine on Sunday that damaged both his legs. Authorities confirmed that a landmine had exploded at 9.30am in Phnom Ray village in Battambang province’s Samlot district, Ta Tork commune and seriously injured a man. The victim was identified as Sim Sophea, 55, who was travelling from ...

  • Vietnam: Quang Tri to clear 42 million sq.m. of land from cluster bombs in 2024

    February 5, 2024

    The central province of Quang Tri has assigned organisations to clear about 42 million sq.m. of land contaminated with cluster bombs this year, said its steering committee for settling war-left unexploded ordnance (UXO) consequences. The committee noted that in 2024, it will continue operating the mine action information management system; collecting, processing, and updating information about ...