Asia-Pacific


  • Hantavirus-hit ship evacuation completed as quarantines begin

    May 11, 2026

    The repatriation effort, coordinated by Spanish authorities with support from WHO, the European Union, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and multiple governments, marked the end of an emergency operation that has gripped global health attention for weeks following an outbreak of Andes hantavirus aboard the vessel. As of Monday, WHO said there had ...

  • Papua New Guinea: NZDF assists Bougainville in destruction of WWII-era bombs

    April 30, 2026

    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) personnel deployed to Bougainville to dispose of a 1000lb (454kg) bomb discovered at Aropa Airfield and a 500lb bomb found at Kieta Primary School. The six-person EOD team, equipment and aid packages were flown to Bougainville on a Royal New Zealand Air Force C-130J Hercules and then on to Aropa Airfield via ...

  • South Australia: Adelaide ‘deployment exercise’ tests emergency services

    March 29, 2026

    South Australian emergency services have conducted their largest mass casualty exercise in history in a bid to test coordination between agencies. SA Police Deputy Commissioner Linda Williams said the “deployment exercise” held at the Adelaide Convention Centre and the area in front of it on North Terrace included details drawn from recent events, without naming the ...

  • NZDF championed top-level home-made explosive detection exercise for NZ Government and coalition partners

    March 4, 2026

    There’s everything at stake for Wella, a six-year-old black labrador. She’s an Explosive Detector Dog (EDD) with 2nd Field Squadron, 2 Engineer Regiment, Royal New Zealand Engineers, under the direction of Lance Corporal Henry Wallace. She seems barely aware of the long leash as Lance Corporal Wallace manages her through a methodical sweep of a lounge ...

  • Western Australia: Police accused of being slow to respond to alleged homemade bomb at Perth Invasion Day rally

    February 17, 2026

    Sisonke Msimang had no way of knowing the item she picked up while in the crowd at a Perth Invasion Day rally was what police allege was a homemade bomb designed to detonate on impact. She also told 7.30 that police were slow to act when she approached them with the device, hidden inside a child’s ...

  • Western Australia: Homemade “fragment bomb” thrown into a crowd at a Perth Invasion Day rally

    January 27, 2026

    A homemade “fragment bomb” thrown into a crowd at a Perth Invasion Day rally yesterday was hidden in a child’s Disney-themed sock, according to a woman who picked it up. Police alleged the device was packed with chemicals and designed to explode on impact, but it did not detonate. It was thrown from a shopping centre ...

  • Canberra: Belconnen man charged in relation to 15 pipe bombs found along the shore of Lake Ginninderra

    January 18, 2026

    A 41-year-old man has been charged over the alleged manufacturing of pipe bombs found along footpaths in Canberra’s north this week. Fifteen explosive devices were found along the shore of Lake Ginninderra in Belconnen between Joynton Smith Drive and Ginninderra Drive. Some of the devices had detonated prior to being found, while others were detonated by ...

  • The Philippines’ long battle against Islamist extremism is back in the spotlight following Bondi attack

    December 17, 2025

    As Australian authorities try to retrace the steps and understand the motivations of the Bondi Beach gunmen who killed 15 people on Sunday, one key focus has emerged: their travel to the Philippines last month, shortly before the attack. Officials say father-son duo Sajid and Naveed Akram journeyed to a southern part of the archipelago nation ...

  • Bondi Beach terror attack: Police uncover ‘several devices’ as public urged to ‘stay away’

    December 14, 2025

    Police have said a number of “improvised explosive devices” found in a shooter’s car have been removed from Bondi Beach after officiers earlier warned the public to stay away from the area after at least 16 people were killed.. According to Australia’s ABC news, New South Wales (NSW) Police said there was an ongoing bomb threat ...

  • New South Wales: At least 12 people dead as Bondi Beach attack declared act of terrorism

    December 14, 2025

    At least 12 people, including one shooter, have been killed in an attack at Sydney’s Bondi Beach on Sunday evening, in what has been declared a terrorist incident. The second shooter is in police custody, and is in a critical condition. Twenty-nine people have been injured, including two police officers who were among those shot and ...

  • How Kiwi soldiers are helping train Ukraine forces

    December 3, 2025

    The New Zealand Defence Force is continuing to provide training to the Armed Forces of Ukraine in counter explosive ordnance measures and drone warfare – over three and a half years since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine began. The Defence Force said under Operation Tīeke, up to 100 personnel across land, maritime and air are deployed ...

  • Victoria: Man pleads guilty after detonating improvised explosive at defence expo in Melbourne last year

    November 27, 2025

    An engineer who set off an improvised explosive device in an effort to disrupt an international weapons expo has described it as a “terrible error in judgment”. Shamera Fernando detonated a “homemade incendiary device” in the bathroom of the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre on September 12 last year. The explosion caused a small fire in ...

  • Queensland: Seven people arrested in counter-terrorism sting

    November 5, 2025

    Seven people have been arrested in a months-long counter-terrorism sting across regional Queensland. Police said they seized 20 kilograms of explosives alongside home-made bombs and guns in a series of raids across the state, most recently in August. Officers from the counter-terrorism investigation group carried out the raids as part of Operation Whiskey Blackheart. Read more… Source: ABC ...

  • Solomon Islands: Bomb explodes at Townground area

    October 31, 2025

    An unexploded ordinance (UXO) went off this evening, Thursday, at Town Ground, West Honiara causing a huge bang and fear within the vicinity. Reports reaching Solomon Star said, the explosion occurred closed to the Scripture Union building along the Lengakiki road right opposite the Town-ground rugby field. A person was reportedly injured as a result of ...

  • Solomon Islands: Over 6k UXOs disposed off in 2024

    October 30, 2025

    The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Unit of the Royal Solomon Islands Police Force (RSIPF) has safely disposed of 6,121 unexploded ordnances (UXOs) nation-wide in 2024. Of this total, 3,200 UXOs were cleared in Western Province under Operation Render Safe. Officer-in-Charge of the EOD Unit, Ansa Puaraua, revealed the figures during his presentation at the National UXO ...

  • Canadian Armed Forces Builds Readiness And Leads Allies In Modern Training At Exercise ARDENT DEFENDER

    October 15, 2025

    The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) will host military members from Allied and partner countries at 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown for Exercise ARDENT DEFENDER from October 16 to 29, 2025. Exercise ARDENT DEFENDER is the CAF’s premier multinational Counter-Improvised Explosive Device exercise. Led by the Canadian Armed Forces Explosive Ordnance Disposal (CAF EOD) Organization, this ...

  • Solomon Islands: World War II era weapons still threatening lives and development

    October 6, 2025

    Last century the remote Solomon Islands was the stage for some of the most intense battles fought during the Pacific campaign of the Second World War. But while Allied troops departed on the heels of victory, the military forces of both sides left a massive legacy of unexploded ordnance (UXO) which is still scattered across ...

  • RNZN: Working in the ‘real world’ at NATO’s premier IEDD exercise

    October 3, 2025

    Northern Challenge is NATO’s top Improvised Explosive Device Disposal (IEDD) exercise, hosted by the Icelandic Coast Guard in Keflavik. It involves Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) forces from 17 countries coming together to practise responding to real-life terrorist incidents involving improvised and military explosive devices. The Royal New Zealand Navy has been sending MEOD teams to Northern ...