Angola requires $240 million from government or donor funding to clear nearly 1,000 minefields from the civil war that ended more than two decades ago, the National Mine Action Agency head said.
The landmines, planted during the 27-year civil war up to 2002, have left people with disabilities and continue to cause harm. Many remain displaced because of the minefields. About 975 minefields need clearance, and demining costs an average of $3.10 per square metre, meaning $240 million is required, said Brigadier General Leonardo Sapalo, the National Mine Action Agency’s head.
Read more…
Source: Reuters News
Sign up for Counter-IED Report Newsletter
Related:
- Angola: Killer Landmines a Sad Legacy of Past Angola Conflicts
January 20, 2020
The recent death of five people after a landmine explosion in northeastern Angola is a tragic reminder of the unenviable legacy of one of the longest conflicts in the continent. Last week, a land cruiser carrying 13 people hit a landmine, presumed to be anti-tank, claiming the lives of the above-mentioned and injury to others on ...
- UK aid-funded mine clearance success in Angola to be repeated in Zimbabwe
October 6, 2019
Thousands of people will be safe from the threat of landmines in Zimbabwe, thanks to fresh UK support for demining charity The HALO Trust. UK aid will match public donations to the charity’s Zimbabwe appeal, International Development Secretary Alok Sharma announced today (Sunday 6th October). Zimbabwe is still one of the worst affected countries in the world ...
- Prince Harry walks through Angola minefield 22 years after Diana
September 28, 2019
Prince Harry visited the site in Huambo, which has become a “bustling community” since Diana’s campaign. Wearing body armour, he also visited a partially-cleared minefield nearby and set off a controlled explosion. Diana captured global attention when she walked through the live minefield in 1997. She never lived to see the full impact of her visit – such ...
- Explosive ordnance disposal from Afghanistan to the Ukraine
September 18, 2019
As one of very few efforts to clear war-torn areas from landmines and other explosives, the HALO Trust’s work is vital for affected communities in bringing about an environment that allows social and economic activities to return to normal as well as begin to flourish once again. Explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) is essentially the safe disposal ...
- Angola provinces benefiting from dual demining efforts
August 2, 2019
Over 200,000 square meters of land were cleared from landmines in south Angola’s province of Bie by the National Demining Institute (INAD) since the start of this year, the head of the institute Jose Virgilio Chalissala has said. INAD and its national and international partners removed and destroyed 85 unexploded explosive devices in the province, among ...
- Angola pledges $60m to fund landmine clearance in national parks
June 25, 2019
The Angolan government has pledged $60 million to clear landmines in two national parks that form part of southern Africa’s highly biodiverse Kavango-Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area. The country’s environment minister, Paula Coelho, made the announcement June 17 at a conference in London. The government has contracted the U.K.- and U.S.-based HALO Trust to clear 153 minefields ...
- Over 20 anti-tank landmines deactivated in Cunene, Angola
January 7, 2019
At least twenty two anti-tank mines and 10 anti-personnel landmines were deactivated and destroyed in the province of Cunene during the year 2018, the liaison officer of the National Intersectoral Committee on Demining and Humanitarian Assistance (CNIDAH), Mario Satipamba said Friday. Speaking to ANGOP on the activity of the sector, the official pointed out that in ...
- Angola: Over nine million square meters cleared of landmines
December 31, 2018
An area of more than nine million square meters of land was demined in Moxico province during this year, plus 7,7 million square meters compared to 2017. The information was released Sunday in Angolan city of Luena by the official of the National Inter-sectoral Committee for Demining and Humanitarian Assistance (CNIDAH) of the province of Moxico, ...
- Angola’s Huila province destroys over 200 unexploded ordnance
October 31, 2017
More than 200 unexploded ordnance removed from Angola’s southern Huila province have been destroyed on the occasion of the International Week for the Disarmament of Civil Population, which is ending Tuesday. The unexploded ordnance, including antipersonnel mines and grenades, were destroyed Monday by the National Demining Institute, in Humpata region of Huila province. Read more… Source: News Ghana
- Over 2.9 million square meters of land cleared from landmines in Angola’s Cuanza Norte region
October 15, 2017
More than 2.9 million square meters of land were cleared from landmines in Angola’ s northern Cuanza Norte province, from 2005 to 2017, head of mine clearance operations at the National Demining Institute (INAD), Chitavi Linen said here Saturday. In the same period, nine anti-tank mines, ninety-nine anti-personnel and over 29 thousand different unexploded ordnance were ...
