US military bases in Europe raise security threat levels


U.S. military bases in Europe were put on a heightened state of alert over the weekend as installations urged vigilance among their members.

At U.S. European Command headquarters in Stuttgart, the Army garrison on Sunday issued a communitywide alert that the force protection threat level was elevated to condition “Charlie” until further notice. Similar directives were sent to other bases in Germany, including the Army’s Rheinland-Pfalz and Ramstein Air Base, which together form the largest U.S. military community overseas.

Read more…
Source: Stars and Stripes


Sign up for our Newsletter


Related:

  • Armed opposition infighting triggers uptick in IS attacks in northern Syria

    June 26, 2018

    Explosions of car and motorbike bombs have been recurrent events in northern Syria lately. The Islamic State (IS) has also executed the members of pro-opposition armed factions, especially in Idlib and the northern Aleppo countryside, taking advantage of the lax security situation since April. The areas that are not controlled by the regime in northern Syria have been under ...

  • Thai army: 41 bombs seized from militants were made in Malaysia

    June 24, 2018

    41 homemade bombs seized in southern Thailand’s Takbai district several days ago were produced in neighbouring Malaysia and meant for attacks after Ramadan. This was according to the Thai Army, which concurred with a statement by the Narathiwat police several days ago, on the bombs’ origin. According to Fourth Army Region commander Lt Gen Piyawat Nakwanich, the ...

  • IEDs a new threat to Jammu and Kashmir, says CRPF DG

    June 23, 2018

    Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) are the new threat to Jammu and Kashmir, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) director general Rajeev Rai Bhatnagar told ET. “Now IEDs are back in J&K. IEDs are the new threat. Last year there were very few IED incidents, but now they have reappeared,” said the CRPF DG. Read more… Source: The Economic Times  

  • Terrorist threat in the EU remains high despite the decline of IS in Iraq and Syria

    June 20, 2018

    New EU Terrorism Situation and Trend Report describes terrorist incidents and activities on European soil. In 2017, 68 innocent victims lost their lives as a result of terrorist attacks in the European Union (EU) – reason enough for Europol not to reduce its efforts in combatting terrorism in all its forms. Even though the number of ...

  • Nigeria: 32 Killed, 84 Injured in Borno Explosion

    June 18, 2018

    A massive explosion left 32 persons dead and 84 others injured in Abbachari, Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State at the weekend as the orgy of violence in the North-east showed resilience in spite of desperate military efforts to restore peace in the region.There were conflicting reports about the cause of the explosion. While ...

  • 8 police personnel killed in Kenya blast

    June 17, 2018

    Eight police personnel were killed on Sunday when their vehicle drove over an improvised explosive device in Bojigaras area, Wajir County, according to a government official. North Eastern regional coordinator Muhammad Saleh told Anadolu Agency: “We are pursuing the attackers who escaped from the area soon after the attack that killed the paramilitary personnel.” The attack comes ...

  • Blast hits gathering of Taliban and Afghan security forces in eastern Nangarhar

    June 16, 2018

    A car bomb killed at least 26 people at a gathering of Taliban and Afghan armed forces in the eastern city of Nangarhar on Saturday, an official said, as soldiers and militants celebrated an unprecedented Eid ceasefire. Islamic State claimed responsibility. The group’s Amaq news agency said the target was “a gathering of Afghan forces” but ...

  • US seeks to head off new terrorist threats against air cargo

    June 11, 2018

    US security officials have uncovered specific cargo-related terrorist threats against US-bound aircraft, prompting the customs agency to tighten requirements related to air cargo reporting. “ has received specific, classified intelligence that certain terrorist organisations seek to exploit vulnerabilities in international air cargo security,” the agency says in a new rule made public ...

  • Kenya: At Least 5 Police Officers Killed in IED Attack

    June 6, 2018

    At least five police officers have been killed in an Al Shabaab attack in Liboi. Police said those killed are General Service Unit officers whose vehicle was blown up after driving over an Improvised Explosive Device. Dadaab Deputy County Commissioner Harun Kamau indicated that more officers have been deployed to the area to search for the attackers. Read ...

  • The U.S. Army Is Going to Blow Up This Ex-Saudi Airlines Boeing 777 Jet

    June 1, 2018

    The U.S. Army has hired a private contractor to fly an old Boeing 777 airliner from Saudi Arabia to the United States just so it can blow it apart. It may sound like a piece of the conspiracy at the center of a Hollywood spy thriller, but it’s actually part of an arrangement to help the Department ...

  • Homemade explosives used in Mississauga restaurant appeared to contain nails

    May 29, 2018

    A homemade bomb detonated in a Mississauga restaurant last week appeared to contain nails and other household items, police said Tuesday, revealing more details on their investigation into an explosion that injured 15 people. The search for two suspects continues, and one of them may be a woman, Peel police said at a morning news conference, ...

  • Far-right Extremism as a Threat to Ukrainian Democracy

    May 27, 2018

    Over the last few years, Ukrainian far-right groups have become a subject of attention in the media and the international community. The interest partly originates in the dramatic events the country has undergone, namely the 2014 revolution and the ongoing war. But it has also been bolstered by the scandals surrounding the presence of these ...

  • Surabaya blast: family of five carried out bomb attack on Indonesia police station

    May 14, 2018

    Suicide bombing in Indonesia’s second-largest city comes after a family of six targeted a church, killing 13 A family of five, including an eight-year-old child, has carried out a bomb attack on a police headquarters in Surabaya, killing at least four people and injuring 10, an Indonesian police official has said The suicide bombing comes just one ...

  • Family of suicide bombers attacks 3 churches in Indonesia, killing 7, police say

    May 14, 2018

    A family of six suicide bombers that included two young children carried out deadly attacks on three churches in Indonesia’s second-largest city on Sunday, police said, as the world’s most populous Muslim nation recoiled in horror at one of the worst attacks on its Christian minority. At least seven people plus the six bombers died in ...

  • Police officers in foiled terror attack in Nairobi rewarded for exemplary work

    May 13, 2018

    29 officers who participated in interception of a powerful Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED) in Merti, Isiolo have been rewarded for exemplary work. The VBIED and other explosives were to be used in attacking a court, Parliament and a church in simultaneous incidents. The suspects behind the incident had driven with the bombs from Somalia ...

  • Coordinated attack ends in Jalalabad city, 10 dead, 42 wounded

    May 13, 2018

    The local officials in eastern Nangarhar province confirm that the coordinated attack on Customs Department in Jalalabad city ended with the elimination of the remaining six militants. Provincial governor’s spokesman Ataullah Khogyani confirmed that the attack ended after five hours of gun battle between the security forces and the assailants. Khogyani further added that the attack was ...

  • 7 KDF soldiers killed in Kenya-Somalia border

    May 8, 2018

    Seven Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) soldiers were killed on Sunday, May 6, after their vehicle was blown off by a powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED). TUKO.co.ke understands two other soldiers sustained serious injuries in the incident which took place in Dhobley town, located between the border of Kenya and Somalia. The officers are reported to have ...

  • IED Blast Targets Registration Center In Khost, 17 Killed

    May 6, 2018

    Seventeen people, among them a woman, were killed and 33 others wounded when a mine went off inside an election-related facility in Khost province, Khost police chief Abdul Mannan confirmed on Sunday. The IED reportedly was placed inside a mosque which was a facility center for registering voters. So far no group including Taliban has claimed responsibility ...

  • WMCTU: Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences

    May 3, 2018

    A Coventry man has been arrested today (Thursday 3 May) on suspicion of committing terrorism offences. The 20-year-old had previously been detained under the Explosives Act last Tuesday (24 April) before being released pending investigation. Today’s arrest is on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism under section 41 of ...

  • UNODC and ICAO sign partnership to strengthen airport security against crime, terrorist threats

    May 2, 2018

    The Executive Director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), Yury Fedotov, and the Secretary General of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), Fang Liu, signed a memorandum of understanding today to enhance the security of international air transport systems to counter transnational organized criminal networks and terrorist groups. “The partnership between UNODC and ...

  • Nigeria confirms 27 dead from NE twin blasts

    May 2, 2018

    Nigeria’s restive northeastern Adamawa state government Tuesday confirmed 27 dead and 56 injured from the twin blasts in Mubi town. Ahmad Sajoh, the state Commissioner of Information and Strategy, said in a statement that the 56 injured persons were admitted to hospital. Two suicide bombers carried out the attacks, he added. Read more… Source: XINHUANET  

  • Death toll of Tripoli electoral commission attack hits 16, ISIS claims responsibility

    May 2, 2018

    16 people were killed and at least 19 others were injured in an attack on the Tripoli-based High National Elections Commission (HNEC) in Ghout Al-Shaal on Wednesday morning. IS (also known as ISIS) terrorists claimed responsibility for the attack on their media platform “Wilayat Trabulus”. The Director Manager of the HNEC, Saad Al-Gadibi, said the gunmen stormed into the ...