Libya: Italy and international partners relaunch support for mine clearance


According to data from the Libyan Centre for Mine and War Remnants Activities, since 2011 over 688 million square metres of Libyan territory have been contaminated by explosive devices or war remnants.

Italy, the European Union, and nine other countries have confirmed their commitment to supporting mine clearance and unexploded ordnance clearance activities in Libya, considered essential for the protection of civilians and the stabilization of the North African country. This commitment was reaffirmed during the second annual meeting of the Libya Mine Action Support Group, hosted on May 14 at the Italian Embassy in Tripoli and co-chaired by the Italian Ambassador.

Read more…
Source: Nova News


Sign up for the Counter-IED Report Newsletters
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Libyan state minister survives assassination attempt in Tripoli

    February 12, 2025

    A Libyan state minister survived an assassination attempt when gunmen opened fire on his car in the capital Tripoli on Wednesday, a government statement said. The Tripoli-based Government of National Unity (GNU) strongly condemned the attack in which it said an unknown group had shot directly at the vehicle of the state minister for cabinet affairs ...

  • Libyan authorities destroy 2 tons of explosive war remnants

    January 17, 2025

    The Libyan Ministry of Interior on Thursday announced destroying two tons of explosive remnants of war in the city of Misurata, some 200 km east of the capital Tripoli. ” The Security Inspection and Explosives Dismantling Section of the Central Criminal Investigation Department (of the Interior Ministry) destroyed and disposed of two tons of explosive remnants,” ...

  • Lockerbie wreckage moved to US for bombing trial

    December 9, 2024

    A section of the American airliner which exploded over Lockerbie 35 years ago is being transported to the US for the trial of the man accused of making the bomb. The wreckage from the fuselage of Pan Am Flight 103 will form part of the evidence in the case against Abu Agila Masud. The Libyan has denied ...

  • UN: 444 million square meters in Libya still contaminated with mines, war remnants

    November 4, 2024

    The United Nations (UN) has emphasized that Libya faces major challenges related to mines and war remnants, which threaten the lives of civilians and hinder development, and that getting rid of them requires tremendous work, noting that there are more than 444 million square meters still contaminated with mines and war remnants. The Chief of the ...

  • Libya: Six killed in military camp explosion in Tajoura

    August 18, 2024

    A deadly explosion occurred at a military camp in the city of Tajoura, east of the Libyan capital, claiming the lives of six people. Local reports indicate the blast happened during a mine clearance operation at the as-Shahidah Sabriyah military camp. Among the victims were two Libyans and four African workers. Read more… Source: Ilkha News Sign up for ...

  • Emirati passports discovered in Sudan suggest UAE boots on the ground

    July 25, 2024

    According to the Guardian, a document sent to the UN Security Council and seen by the newspaper contains images allegedly found in Sudan and linked to the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), the paramilitary group that has been fighting the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) in the country since April 2023. Middle East Eye has reported previously on ...

  • Libya: Deadly landmines pose hidden threat in Tripoli

    June 7, 2024

    Hundreds of deadly landmines and unexploded ordnance still litter parts of Libya after years of fighting, posing a constant danger to civilians, especially children, long after the conflict. Although relative calm has returned to the oil-rich country since the battle for Tripoli four years ago, the United Nations says more than 400 people, including 26 children, ...

  • Libyan Mine Action Center to develop country-wide strategy with UNSMIL support

    May 14, 2024

    The Libyan Mine Action Center announced plans 9 May to develop a country-wide mine action strategy in collaboration with the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining and the United Nations Support Mission in Libya’s Mine Action Section. According to Fatma Zourrig, Chief of UNSMIL’s Mine Action Section Libya has managed to clean up about 36 percent ...

  • Libya: 2023 UN report documents 17 lives, mainly children, lost to explosive hazards

    April 29, 2024

    A group of 17 individuals, including 14 children, lost their lives due to incidents involving explosive devices in Libya last year, according to a UN Mine Action Service report. The report, released on Sunday, documented 193 incidents resulting from explosive devices over the past three years, resulting in the deaths of 147 individuals and injuring 243 ...

  • Libya: Interior Ministry conducts training course in crime scene management

    October 28, 2023

    The Interior Ministry says it has concluded a training course in crime scene management at explosion accident sites and first aid. The Ministry said the course aims to prepare Libyan professional trainers in the field of crime scene management. Read more… Source: Libya Observer  

  • Libya’s Storm Daniel could see unexploded WWII bombs emerge from Derna waters

    September 15, 2023

    Aid workers warned on Wednesday that Libya’s brutal and violent floods may unearth unexploded bombs and landmines from past conflicts in the wake of Storm Daniel and the collapse of two dams near the city of Derna. The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said that its teams were evaluating the risk posed to civilians ...

  • UNSC: Terrorist Groups Remain Significant Threat in Conflict Zones, Neighbouring States

    August 25, 2023

    Despite the threat level remaining low in non-conflict areas, Da’esh and its affiliates continue to constitute a serious threat in conflict zones and neighbouring countries, a senior United Nations official told the Security Council today, underscoring that the use of force alone — with no backing of a clear strategy — can be counter-productive, creating ...

  • Over 27,000 explosives removed from Libyan cities in 2022

    May 5, 2023

    According to the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), 27,400 explosive war remnants were removed from the Libyan cities of Tripoli, Misrata, Benghazi and Sirte in 2022. More than 1 million war remnants, which include 82 percent of projectiles and 4 percent of small arms ammunition, have been removed in Libya since 2011. Read more… Source:  Alwasat ...

  • Manchester Arena attack: Security services might have prevented Manchester Arena bombing

    March 2, 2023

    The security services were guilty of “a significant missed opportunity to take action that might have prevented” the Manchester Arena bombing, according to the chairman of the inquiry into the atrocity. A report published by former high court judge Sir John Saunders, the third and final from his inquiry, looked at whether MI5 and counter-terror police ...

  • Libyan accused in Lockerbie bombing now in American custody

    December 11, 2022

    A Libyan intelligence official accused of making the bomb that brought down Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988 in an international act of terrorism has been taken into U.S. custody and will face federal charges in Washington, the Justice Department said Sunday. The arrest of Abu Agela Masud Kheir Al-Marimi is a milestone ...