Kenya says no casualties in explosive attack in coastal region


June 11, 2017

Kenya confirmed late Sunday that an improvised explosive device (IED) which was set against soldiers by Al-Shabaab terrorists in the coastal region of Lamu did not harm anyone.

The ministry of interior said in a statement that the IED targeting Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) along the Milimani-Baure’s supply route was detonated without any casualties or injuries on the side of KDF.

“KDF troops were on their re-supply duties along the route when their security systems detected the IED, which they exploded safely,” the ministry said.

It said the KDF area commander later dispatched specialized IED and bomb experts to comb other parts of the area where the IED had been discovered.

KDF spokesman Joseph Owuoth said a probe into the blast is underway on the incident, adding that KDF officers are combing the area looking for the perpetrators.

Milimani-Baure route passes through the Ndondori National Reserve and Kiangwe Forest, a section where Al-Shabaab terror gang has been trying to dominate as a terror launch pad without success.

The East African nation has seen an increase in terror attacks in the northeastern and coastal region, with the latest being the killing of humanitarian workers along the Kulan-Liboi road in Garissa County on June 6.

The increased attacks come after intelligence agency warned of possible attacks in the Coast region by Al-Shabaab operatives in the month of Ramadhan.

Read more…

Source: XINHUANET